MINI Cooper Forum banner

2006 Cooper - CVT Auto Transmission Failure #2 & Power Steering Pump Failure - Why???

29K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  smc 
#1 · (Edited)
2006 Cooper - CVT Auto Transmission Failure #2 & Power Steering Pump Failure - Why???

Original Title:
Issue w/ engine reving and rpm range....& now I can NOT go over 50 mph?? 2006 Cooper

We got our 2006 Mini Cooper a few weeks ago..... Was very happy so far...!!

It is an Automatic...

Here are the problems we have all of a sudden....:mad:

This problem was 1st noticed yesterday

While the car is in Park or Neutral... It seems that you are UN-ABLE to rev the engine or raise the RPM's past 4,000....:confused:
It seems that the fuel cuts off right at that range...
It must be a rev limiter designed not to pass 4k while the car is not moving.. maybe?

Is this normal for the Cooper Auto Model ??? Has anyone else ever noticed this ??

Ok This BIGGER problem was 1st noticed this morning

We did some local street driving yesterday and about a 1/2 hr of Highway driving last night.
No issues what so ever.. The Mini drove just fine at 70 mphs.
This morning we did some normal street driving to the Highway... We got on the Highway and to our surprise we couldn't go over 50 MPH and the rpm range was maxed out between 4,000 and 5,000 RPMS :eek:
Got off the next exit as it was too dangerous to continue and drove the car back home via local streets and parked it in the garage... Switched over to the Honda Civic:rolleyes:

There was a burning smell.... :(

The Mini only has 315 miles.....

I ran a quick search in this section and didn't find anything on this topic..

I also put a call into our MA, I have yet to hear back...

Thanks for your help.

Joe Z:)

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow 30 views and no responses??? :eek:

Well, we got a call back from our Mini dealer and we arrange to have it towed today...

Mini Road Side Assistance said it sounds like a transmission issue..:mad:
She said this is the 3rd 2006 Mini that she has assisted & needed a tow due to the fact the Mini could not be driven over 30 MPH.... :confused:

We should get a call some time tomorrow (Monday) from our dealer and hopefully they will know what the heck is going on...

There she goes ......

Joe Z
:frown:

#4 ·
Did you see the "EP" in the transmission display?
I think that's what it says when there is a transmission problem.

I think I've read that the "revving" problem is normal – the car knows it isn't going anywhere and won't let you over-rev the engine.

We also had an odd burning smell in our car when it was new. It was the packing grease stuff they coated the underbody with for the trip over on the boat. It disappeared in a little over a week (though it smoked out the tailpipe for the first two days which scared us a bit...)

Hope everything is OK.
-Eric

#5 ·
My 06 MCS does the same as far as smell and smoking are concerned. It lasted for about a week and now there is no problem. That is normal for the most part. As for the rev issue, I have no idea. It does sound like something that could be programmed in but the car should still drive normal.

#6 ·
BTW - Just so you all know our 2006 Mini Cooper was part of production group week 36 and was completed on 9/2/05..

There has been NO warning indicators or any check engine lights what so ever!!

Yesterday afternoon in my final short test drive, I couldn't even get it over 30 mph..

Honestly it feels like the Transmission in stuck is 1st or 2nd gear...

We too had the smell from car and the smoke from the tail pipe.. But that was in our 1st week asw ell... The burning smell is normal.. I agree... Also, the tail pipe smoke is normal since the exhaust system is pretty much breaking in or "cooking"...

But the smell from yesterday, didn't smell like either of those... The Mini only had 320 or so miles...

If any one else can test out the engine revving and let me know if it doesn't pass 4k Rpms while in Park... Then at least I'll know that its normal...

I am expecting a call this morning with the diagnoses.

Thanks
Joe Z :puzzled:

#7 ·
Here is the latest update....

Monday - Dealer tried to locate the problem... maybe software ?? maybe mechanical??
The techs consulted with main Mini Tech Operations in NY... by sending them vehicle data...

Tuesday - Unable to determine issue... GREEN LIGHT from Mini to replace Auto Transmission.. Again problem is unknown.. But the remedy is just to replace with Brand New Trans..... I actually went down there and saw the majority of front and undercarriage apart and the NEW Trans sitting in a box ready to go in..

So we should have the car back maybe tonight, but most likely tomorrow... They can keep it for a day and make sure it still drives like it did when we picked it up 3 weeks ago...

Thanks
Joe

#9 ·
Picked up the Mini last night.... All seems "good" so far with the NEW transmission.

I actually think it drivers better / smoother then the day we picked it up!!!

However, on cold starts the power steering pump, fan or whatever it is sounds WAY, WAY louder on the initial idle start up.... Great..... :(

Joe :hmph:

#10 ·
Joe Z said:
Picked up the Mini last night.... All seems "good" so far with the NEW transmission.

I actually think it drivers better / smoother then the day we picked it up!!!

However, on cold starts the power steering pump, fan or whatever it is sounds WAY, WAY louder on the initial idle start up.... Great..... :(

Joe :hmph:
Hi Joe. Sorry to hear about your problem. It's been 9 days since I've picked up my Cooper and I've got almost 800 miles on it. Burning smell in the beginning which I know is normal. I've got a Cooper S automatic and haven't had any problem over 4000 RPM. The dealer was just adimit that I didn't take it over 4500 RPM cause I'm in the "break in" period. I hope your MINI is okay going forward.

#11 ·
tampaguy001 said:
Hi Joe. Sorry to hear about your problem. It's been 9 days since I've picked up my Cooper and I've got almost 800 miles on it. Burning smell in the beginning which I know is normal. I've got a Cooper S automatic and haven't had any problem over 4000 RPM. The dealer was just adimit that I didn't take it over 4500 RPM cause I'm in the "break in" period. I hope your MINI is okay going forward.
Well it still seems that it won't Rev past 4,000 rpms while its in PARK... I guess this is normal ??? :confused: If you have an auto, it shouldn't rev past 4k either while in park..?

Its going back in tomorrow night for the extremely loud blender sound coming from either the power steering pump or fans... Not sure.... But on the initial start up when engine is cool, the Mini just sounds horrible.... It did not make this noise before they replace the transmission, so somethings not right... :( Our mini only has 400 miles now...

Joe

#12 ·
Notified Today of Power Steering Pump Failure !!!

Here is the latest update on our 2006 Mini Cooper with approx 450 miles...

:frown:

Dropped her off Tuesday evening 11/8/05 for extremely loud power steering pump noise on cold starts...and rattling noise while driving on the freeway...
Also, had battery cover replaced because it had a broken clip already..
Even having them look at our leaky rear wiper arm and the cute little yellow stain right beneath the arm where the fluid leaks...
To prevent further damage, I have already drained all the BMW washer fluid and replaced with the good old .99 cents regular non concentrated washer fluid two weeks ago.

Got a call Wednesday 11/9/05 they "fixed" the little things, and adjusted the power steering reservoir that was rattling... But still have to see about the leaking fluid and IF they can buff out the yellow stain..
But wait, they are still NOT able to replicate or hear the power steering noise that sounds like a blender, on cold start ups.....:rolleyes:
Ok Ok - sure just keep the Mini another day..... Find the noise!!

Today 11/10/05 we get the call.... There seems to be a power steering pump failure?? This is the source of the very nice noise that we have had for the last few days since we picked up the Mini last Thursday night 11/3/05...

So there you have it!!!! Brand New 2006 Mini Cooper less than 4 weeks old and less than 500 miles... Already has a brand new Transmission and currently installing a brand new power steering pump..

Should be ready for pick up Friday afternoon....

Great!!! What's next.... ??? the Engine ?:aargh:

Joe Z:(

#13 ·
The update continues and GETS WORSE!!!!!

Friday, after waiting 3/4 of the day for the call to pick up the Mini.....
I finally call my self....

Seems that they changed out the Power Steering Pump. But the hideous whining noise is still there..... They found the problem!!!!

Guess what!!!! ???
Its coming form the BRAND NEW TRANSMISSON they just replaced last week... :aargh:

Recommendation from District Service manager - Replace Transmisson !!!

We have been talking to the Quality Service Director from our dealership, since Friday evening..

We pretty much told him that we DO NOT WANT this Mini anymore.... Order us a NEW ONE or gives us our money back... Our Mini only has approx 500 miles...and its 4 weeks old... Its spent a total of 12 days at the Mini Service garage here in So Cal.

They already replaced the Tranmisson and the Power Steering Pump once,

and now they have to replace the transmisson thats less then one week old AGAIN???
Its just crazy I tell you...

On top of all this we get a BMW X3 Rental car, which has a headlight Out....:(
So we went to the nearest Enterprise 2 days later and swapped it for a reliable & safe Chevy Equinox...!!

Its funny that the guy at Enterprise where we got the BMX x3 (on site w/dealership) said he would never BUY a Mini or BMW... He has seen / heard so many horrible stories from customers with major breakdowns and continuous warranty repairs on practically Brand New BMW's and Mini's....

What the hell is going on???

Joe Z :frown:

#14 ·
Hi Joe,

Sorry to read of all your problems, doesn't sound like a good situation. :(

I would certainly continue with your current route of rejecting the car, its ridiciolous that you have had 2 transmissions is under 500 miles!

To proove they don't all go wrong, i've had my Cooper for 14 months now and it hasn't let me down once :)

Olly

#15 ·
Sorry Joe...sad to hear about your mini. :( Sad that there are actual lemons in brand new minis.

Mine is 3 months old today, 2900miles and haven't had a problem with it except the leaking on the back window wiper too but you couldn't notice it too much because my exterior is HB. Luckily my dealer didn't fill it up all the way and I had to refill the liquid after using it once or twice. LOL...I think mine probably leaked out most of it.

Hope everything works well and they get you a new MINI to make up for that lemon.

#17 ·
UPDATE -
Well we finally got the Mini back on 11/19/05 and ALL seems well so far......
I have been waiting to post to see if we had to bring it back after a few days.:puzzled:

The Mini is on its 3rd CVT Auto Transmission and 2nd Power Steering Pump.

We have Rejected this Mini and they have ordered us a New 2006 Mini Cooper.
It is clearly NOT acceptable to be having this issues on a 2006 Mini Cooper with 500 miles.!!

Hopefully they will get the 3rd one right, this time around...

1st Mini - Delivered with wrong color Roof and mirrors
2nd Mini - Has had 2 Transmissions & 1 Power steering pump replaced all before 500 miles !
3rd Mini - We'll just have to wait and see..

If Mini can't get this right on the 3rd try, then thats a good sign not to own a Mini..

Joe Z:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.