MINI Cooper Forum banner

iphone 5 compatibility with Mini...

60K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  Mid Life Mini 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Very few articles/posts on this... So why not start one.

Have just ordered an iphone 5 and hoping it will still work with Mini Connected etc.

Apparently the new iphone adaptor will only provide analogue audio output. Not video. This will kill onscreen album covers etc.

The only solution left would be a new cable from BMW / Mini.

Armrest docks all need to be updated too.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
First post! Hey all!

I also ordered an iPhone 5, and have MINI Connected. The best case scenario is this: Until mid-October you'll have to stream your music via bluetooth or aux. When the converter adaptors start arriving, you'll be able to use everything but videos and the Apple-Designed iPod Out interface. You can still see the album art, charge, etc.

I would be surprised if BMW/MINI didn't have an updated cable for us by mid-fall. Remember, all the 2013s are beginning to roll out. As far as I know, BMW iDrive and MINI Connected essentially use the same I/O hardware, and I know they will make sure the new cable/snap-in adapters are updated by then. Losing attachment sales because your iPhone is too new doesn't sound very "BMW" to me.

Lightning isn't going anywhere. All automakers are forced to upgrade. It's just a matter of time (and frustration).

#10 ·
I think you just contradicted yourself, the mini connected pack only works with some iphones!!!!!

Were talking about compatibility with i-phone. I'm just bringing in another angle to show that the i-phone is not the only smart phone on the planet.

I dont have a SatNav, I have a phone with in-built mapping that works, unlike ios 6 or iphone 5, and it has a 4.8 inch screen against the iphones 4". Its not about how big mine is. I'm trying to get the point across the fact Apple use specific hardware, and when they change it u are messed up and unhappy. This is the reason standards are set, Apple chose not to follow them and go their own way.

BTW most smart phones have Bluetooth, and as most Countryman have it also we can stream media and make phone calls without Apple :p

Rant over, takes a deep breath and hopes you take this constructively.

Tab

#11 ·
Well I got it at least.....:biggrin:

I don't know where BMW are going with their tech, as it may now be that they'll realise that Apple is not even the largest part of the sector - albeit a very large percentage of it - with android having passed it. And what about Windoze8 smartphones etc?

BMW and phone compatibility generally has been an issue for years - they stuck themselves with one version of Bluetooth in the past and had to keep producing new TCU modules to keep up. Some phones back in the 'Noughties' would not work correctly at all. Then they tied themselves in with Apple and locked everyone into a closed system if you wanted all the functionality! Even now the Combox controllers are having to have updated versions produced frequently and these were supposed to be the answer to everything only needing firmware updates to keep up to date - not what has actually happened though!

Perhaps the future generation models will have a wider capability, or a new 'common' standard will finally emerge that works on everything. That's what Bluetooth was supposed to do, but as ever it didn't work that way.

#12 ·
Who would want to use an Android as a Phone..... they look okay (if they copied the look of the iPhone) but do they actually work as a phone without updates..... could always use it as a brick to defend someone mugging you for your watch but they wouldn't want your phone..... :)

I just use my 4S in the car snap in and then the 5 as my normal phone and will do until BMW do the full media snap in for the 5.... but its a little daft that the full media snap in for the 4S was £175 and the standard one is £50~ there no more materials but then I guess its the same as 2k for the One D to the Cooper D - same engine just a good method of producing profit!

#13 ·
I have the iP5 w/ iOS 6.0.1 using the 0.2m cabled Lighting > 30-pin adapter to connect to my CMS. I cannot see video (obviously) but everything else works fine.

Some other owners in the US with this connection have reported that it works fine for about an hour then fails. Rebooting the iP5 seems to bring things back into operation. I HAVE NOT experienced this at all and have driven full days without failure.

That being said, I'm sure that MINI need to examine these issues and update their connectivity to eliminate the wonkiness that some have reported.

Oh yeah, that's just around the corner! :hmph:

#18 ·
HI folks... first time on the board.

Just got my 2012 MiniCountryman a few weeks ago (loving it) but having connectivity issues with not getting messages in the "Office" section and not being able to view videos on my phone.

I have most current software update installed.

Any thoughts? I heard that some folks with the "official apple adapter" to attach to the connector that BMW provides would allow videos.. but i'm just not getting that thru the viewer.

Help?

Cheers,
Ian

#19 ·
Phoney iPhone cables

The Apple chip inserted into the genuine & expensive connectors enable all except video, no copy has this despite claims to the contrary. I've found that the simple USB - Lightning clone cable does work with usb audio & artwork despite the odd screen message saying that it will not charge, reseting the iPhone with the cable inserted fixes this. (I've tried over 5 chinese copies so far). I have one genuine 30pin - Lightning adapter, works as described, analogue audio no video, 1 clone adapter and 1 clone 0.2m cable adapter - do not work except for charging.
BMW Mini software is an ongoing problem, I have a Mini Countryman & a Ford Kuga (everything works, Bluetooth for phone and Lightning-USB for music/ipod control) but even with the correct Y cable (either, I have both) playback = problems, If Ford can crack it, then BMW can, using the genuine Apple converter in the Mini/BMY 4S Media snapin adapter does allow the iPhone5 full function as before without anologue video, the £30 0.2m Apple cable converter does work and allows the phone to sit safely on top of the Clickin mount with the armrest shut, requires a little bit of filing on the plastic edges to stop it being pushed off by the mount but it's the 'cheapest' work around without cables everywhere.
I seem to have now aquired another box of various cable bits - technology!

#20 ·
Iphone 5

Hi,

I just bought a Mini Countryman and I would like to know how to play the music on my IPhone 5.
My car is equipped with packs Chili and Wired and I have successfully played the music using Bluetooth. However, it kills my iPhone battery.
Is the another way to play the music using a cable or arm rest/snap in adapter and at the same time:
- charge the battery of the device
- be able to receive and make calls via Bluetooth
- use the commands on the sports wheel to control calls, music, volume ...

Thanks

#23 ·
Arb - I use my iPhone 5 as sat nav and also music/internet radio streaming over bluetooth when using sat nav so the voice commands come over the radio (convertible and you cant hear the voice through the phone with the roof down). Yes it drains the battery but I got a cheap in car charger with a long lead and fed it as best I could up to the windscreen mount and just plug it in when I am driving.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.