MINI Cooper Forum banner

JCW Sports Exhaust

7K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  MINI-ACR 
#1 ·
Does anyone have experience of the JCW Sports Exhaust v alternative options out there

Currently I favour sticking to factory approved options but googling owners experiences to date reveals almost nothing :puzzled:

Any views would be appreciated as the JCW kit isn't exactly "cheap" :biggrin:

Many thanks in advance

#3 ·
How do they compare to JCW sound and why do people go for the other alternatives to the factory approved JCW

#7 ·
You cant hear much at all inside, windows closed, sounds just like any other run of the mill car, wind the window down and you can here it popping a little on overrun but thats not excessive.
Be nice if it did have a just little bit more of a throb like the old classic Cooper S with the Peco centre exit silencer, especially on tickover.

#13 ·
The JCW silencer is much louder than the stock MCS exhaust. The bubbling sound from Sport mode is so much louder. But it is not that loud like other 3rd party exhaust. I am convinced that if you remove the center long silencer it will be much louder, not the cat- am not a fan to decat as yet due to warranty.

I recorded my JCW sound here. THis is when the engine is warm. Louder when is warm.

#15 ·
Many thanks but have had the car and the "useless" JCW exhaust for 9 months now and can confirm it's a complete waste of money :frown::frown:

Reactions: The Nun
#16 ·
You're not the first to be disappointed by the original JCW exhaust. My MCS is still in warrantly and I'm dying to get a little (lot) more noise from it. I'll probably have to stick to the JCW backbox for now so as not to void my warranty (MINIs are incredibly expensive to maintain here in Brazil) and then move to a custom-made cat-back later on.

#18 ·
I don't necessarily want superbike-like howling from my MCS, but I definitely want something louder than the stock exhaust - something I can hear over the road noise and not just on WOT. I thought this could be the JCW exhaust, but it apparently isn't. I could get a custom all-stainless 2,5" cat-back from the best shop in Brazil (complete with 1-year warranty) that I KNOW will do the job, but as this will void the factory warranty on my MINI I think I'll keep looking for a second-hand JCW unit to keep me entertained in the meantime...

#21 ·
Thought I'd give you guys an update:
After some talking to the after-sales guys in the local MINI dealers, they made it very clear to me that a custom exhaust would only void warranty on the exhaust itself and anything it might eventually damage, but the rest of the car would still be normally covered. That made me finally give up on the JCW exhaust and I got a custom 2.5-inch cat-back from the shop that works Porsches, Ferraris, Lamborghinis and the likes here - this for about a third the price of the JCW back box here. At first the drone was really to much - it would literally rattle my head at given rpm-load combinations - but after some minor tuning it got just perfect, with a throaty growl all across the rpm-load range and just the slightest hint of drone at only a few situations. I'll post a link to a YouTube vid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.