MINI Cooper Forum banner

2007 copper clubman diesel low mpg & flat spot

22K views 85 replies 9 participants last post by  Dixy72 
#1 ·
Hi

real quick message, we have just bought a 2007 1.6d mini cooper clubman diesel and have a few issues with it.

the car has 58k on the clock and a full service history mainly at BMW but

there is a flat spot on small acceleration around the 1-1.5 rpm area this is quiet bad especially when pulling out at round abouts ect as it is on the verge of stalling ect.

also the DPF filter warning came up on the dash yesterday. we took the car for a hour drive which included 40 mins on the motorway at 2.5krpm with no stops or starts. when we got off the motorway and drove back through town the car did feel better but still had a slight flat spot.

this morning my wife drove the car and it is better than before but still does have the flat spots.

also the MPG is nowhere near the book values which i know are hard to reach but being less than half is not what we were hoping for we are getting around 36mpg and at best 45 on the motorway

any ideas?

i have just ordered a new air filter
forte diesel fuel treatment
forte dpf additive

Regards

Ben

See less See more
#66 ·
Hi the pierburg one is identical to the Bosch one fitted as standard it is a fully new unit.

The cheaper new one I bought you could see where the sensor had been cut and glued back together.

Still got a very occasional flat spot but better than it was

Anyone else done the crankcase

#67 ·
Right still got the flat spot between 1000-2000 rpm hard to replicate but happens when you put oof down from cruising say.

Today I took egr valve off cleaned it all out and the heater part and entrance to engine block.bolted all back together took for drive and till there so far I've done

Dpf delete +remap
New maf
New charge pipe from intercooler
Cleaned egr
New air filter
Bmw had car for a week and couldn't find anything

Where next to look? Injectors?

#69 ·
I'm at the "the injectors are the prime suspects" stage too. I've got an oil and fuel filter service in about 8000km and I've already been on the horn with the dealership about the weak power problem.

They said they can analyse the fuel to air ratio and make sure it's within trim values. Could be that the timing needs readjustment and/or the injectors are fouled preventing the proper quantity of fuel entering the cylinder. That would manifest as a loss of power/flat spot/hesitation I would think.

I've tried a bottle of injector cleaner in the gas tank, but it didn't really do anything so I'm going to have the dealer hook it up to their computer and see what comes out.

Don't know when the appointment will be but probably around end March/early April. I'll have them change out the winter tires at the same time.

On the peugeot forums a couple of guys have had success by removing the intercooler and draining the oil and flushing it with degreaser. I think it's a bit of a job to get the intercooler out, however.

Did they look at the turbo vacuum solenoid that controls the variable vane geometry? I think the solenoid is down under the fuel filter somewhere around the EGR if I'm not mistaken.

Maybe oxygen sensor?

I mean loss of power on a diesel is due to one of two things: (1.) poor Airflow or (2.) poor fuel flow.

#68 ·
flip me this is soooooooo bad, I do feel your pain I was still looking at the crankcase sensor but with no codes showing where do we go ?????. I was waiting until the weather changes but after the fight I had with the sidelights I have lost the love.....who puts a water bottle right in between the fog light housing :-/ seriously bmw sort yourselves out :-(

#70 ·
Reading round it it could also be a egr issue being around 1700-2000rpm

I have ordered a stainless steel blanking plate

But as these are euro4/5 it will need a few small holes drilling to allow just enough air through to satisfy the sensors this seems a common route and fiat even sell a egr restrictor through their parts departments

Fingers crossed this £5 trick works

If not ill send all injectors for a ultrasonic clean

#72 ·
Hi the egr restrictor slides in between valve and the gasket it as a 8mm hole to allow just enough gas through to stop the light oming on dash.

Like this one
EGR valve blanking block plate Jaguar X-type Ford Mondeo Transit 2.0 2.2 2.4TDCi | eBay

Fiat/Alfa and koda now sell egr restricors through their parts departments to help solve the flat spot issues fom why I have read.

Injectors are around £12.50 per injector for ill ultrasonic clean

#74 ·
Curious to know how this turns out...

Discovered from the service records that it has been 56,000km since my fuel filter was changed. Wondering if this isn't causing some of my issues?

Notice too that my fuel efficiency is declining. Used to get about 5.2L/100km in winter (with winter tyres and heating on all the time). Now I'm up to 6.7L/100km which is getting stupid. Quoted should be around 4.7L/100km.

Anyone ever change their own fuel filter on the Cooper D? Easy? Hard?

#75 ·
just to throw another spanner in the works I have put some dpf cleaner in and turned my tuning box up which feels like its boosting earlier in the power range which has taken abit of the flat spot out.....and is not as noticeable just now:-/.....so am now starting to think its a mapping issue AGAI, but not sure I just wish BMW would come up with a solution! !!!!!!!!!!!!

#76 ·
Fuel filter looks easy on these just 3 quick release pipes to swap over I was sent wrong one last tome so not changed it yet

The blnking plate s working a week in and feels more responsive and flat spot gone 99% of time tats what my wife says and she more sensitive to feeling flat spot

#77 ·
Good to hear you have resolved the issue!

Couple of questions as I'm still trying to resolve my problem. I found some info on the Peugeot forums for the fuel filter. Looks as though for the Pugs you have to transfer over the diesel fuel pre-heater when you change the fuel filter. Do you have any idea if it's the same setup on the Mini?

For the blanking plate, is it easy to install yourself? I had a look down there and there appear to be some strange looking clamps that I'm not sure how to disconnect, they look like you might need a special tool to clamp them back on - seems to be where the connection between the EGR and the exhaust cooler are (like a silver ring?).

Did you require any kind of remap to blank of the EGR? I've heard a few people complain that inserting the blanking plate causes a CEL.

Thanks!

#82 ·
cheers guys my blank has turned up and I have located the part, also looked at a youtube video of a guy taking it off a peugeot that spring clip looks like a pain, will get it off cleaned hole drilled 8.5 mm?? and give it a try, failing this we have discussed about selling it down the road really not worth all this trouble, I have also put in some good dpf cleaner but if the egr is dirty its not going to help it. I will of course keep you all posted :)

#84 ·
well guys I have had a bad day with the mini in fact i have had enough to now the flipping thing is going down the road next week and I will never ever buy another car made by BMW. I got the egr out and cleaned and it made no difference so its gone only had it since sep last year. so cheers guys for all your help etc I enjoyed trying to sort it but now having done everything enough is enough fairwell peeps and good luck ;-)

#86 ·
benlg81 yes pal that was the final straw, after struggling to get that clip back on the egr it had my temper up, took it for a run thinking it would be grand but no!!!!! still there :-((( so very disappointing the wife now does not want to drive it because it was stalling on her so its going down the road. All I can say is shame on BMW they charge big money for their tech's knowledge which could not solve this issue, just not worth the hassle anymore people mocked me for having a 500 abarth but I never had an issue like this :-/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.