MINI Cooper Forum banner

Cooper S Insurance 19 Years Old

74K views 35 replies 26 participants last post by  christian6984 
#1 ·
Hi,

I am 19 and have a Mini Cooper S.
I know this will shock many people, but I have worked hard to be able to buy and drive this car! :)

The problem I have is that I had an Alfa Romeo 147 before the Mini and insurance was £850 for 12 months. But I decided to Purchase the Cooper S 6 months into the policy, so the insurance was an extra £400. (Not bad I hear you say)
In Feb 2011 my insurance ends and I will have to have a complete new policy. I have 3 years NCB.

Does anyone know of any good/cheap insurance companies for the type of car and age? Ive heard adding a lady named driver helps?
Would appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Rhys.

#33 ·
Hi all, I'm a 24yo male, when I just turned 19 I bought a Cooper, I wasn't able to get a cooper S, I was paying £1200 on my own name, with no "no claims discount". Just after my 22 I bought my laser blue Cooper S JCW and I love it.. I started paying £900 a year with MINI themselves with 3 years ncd, I've just entered my 3rd year of ownership and I'm 24 with 5 years ncd and I've just paid £450 all in with business use :) bargain... My next door neighbour is paying £700 on a pug 307 2.0hdi I know what I'd prefer to be driving hahaa btw I'm with Hastings direct, and have been for the last 2 years and amazingly lowered their price... I've never seen it :)

#35 ·
Hey,
I am a 17 yr old male. Have been driving for 9 months now, and am hoping to get insured on my 07 R52 mini cooper s convertible when I am 18 in May. At the moment I am getting quotes of about £4000-6000. Would this decrease much, if at all when I am 18 or with 1 yr NCD? I am currently a named driver on an admiral multi car policy.

#36 ·
that is a crazy amount, cant belive how much difference a few years makes, never owned one of the new minis yet, but i got quotes of £500ish on MCS aged 25, compared to my Clio 1.2 TCE 100 which cost me £328 (quotemehappy).

when i was 17 my first car was a 2000 Ford Fiesta 1.8TD and that was only £850. Then moved onto the 2003 Clio and then a 2008 Clio, im now on the car hunt as im at that stage where hot hatches are not much more expensive to insure than the clio. With quotes of £4-6k you would be better saving your money, having something cheaper to insure and save the money for a much newer example in a year or two's time as the insurance wont be so much of a killer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.