MINI Cooper Forum banner

Mini Cooper S Convertible - recall info

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Caveman 
#1 ·
Hi.

I am looking for some advice about my 09 Cooper S convertible. The engine warning light has been on and off for a few weeks. Mini have had a look today and following a £150 diagnostics charge have advised that there is a build up of sludge due to lots of short journeys, meaning the car doesn't get hot enough to burn this off. I apparently need a new rocker cover amongst other things. The estimated cost is between £800 + £1500, depending on how much damage has been done. Mini have offered to cover the cost of the parts, which has made me suspicious that this may be a common fault or possibly a recall.

The car has done just over 40,000 miles. Does anyone have any advice?

Many thanks
Jen

#3 ·
To be honest its a common problem with all cars, I don't know about a specific fault with this engine.
you should always give a car a long run now and again to warm up to then clear it out, especially if its subject to a lot of short journeys.
Also with a lot of short journeys the car ideally needs closer services and the fuel used will play a part in the carbon build up as well, so if you don't use say bp ultimate (which contains cleaning additives) you will need to run a fuel system cleaner through it periodically so the engine burns cleaner again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.