MINI Cooper Forum banner

Which non-Mini parts are ok??

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  halesowenmum 
#1 ·
I am in the need of the following - these items need doing quite soon:
- o/s/f lower arm rear bush (had quote for £75 excl VAT) £23 on eBay from DELPHI, ACE PARTS
- steel coolant pipe and water pump (quote was for £225 (yikes)) There's a steel coolant pipe coming up on Ebay for £15 (01-06 BMW MINI R50 R52 R53 1.6 LOWER COOLANT HOSE RADIATOR PIPE | eBay)
am asking them if it's the right part that I need.

In terms of water pumps - I just can't afford that - they're really expensive even on Bay. They say the rear of the pump is corroded - I may just have to leave that for the minute because that's just too much money. Bang goes any holiday with the kids in the summer :(

And these aren't needed so urgently but will be needed:
- o/s track rod end AGR AUTOMOTIVE, FEBI BILSTEIN, MEYLE, FIRST LINE, VECO
- n/s inner track rod joint VECO, FIRST LINE, DELPHI
- front to rear brake pipes on both sides (can't see any particular brands)

I want to shop around for best value (that means price but also means decent quality as well).

The only problem is, I don't know which are rubbishy makes and which are ok. I've put in capitals the names that are coming up if I search on eBay for example - can anyone say 'that's a good make' or 'that's a really rubbish brand and will fall to bits'??

Any help gratefully received as these costs come on top of a full service, fitting of a new stereo and repair a stiff door handle which all came to £255 today. I wouldn't mind but since I've had it it's had a new rad, repair to the cooling system for the known leak issue, rebuilt gearbox, rebuilt clutch, new exhaust, handbrake cable....

Cheers all.

See less See more
#3 ·
That is FANTASTIC - thank you so much for that. I shall investigate during the course of the weekend - wow - what a good price!!! I'll see what other items they might have as well so really appreciate the suggestion.

I first thought you were saying the mini's break a lot (I can't agree more) - then I realised you meant they were a breaking yard for mini's...

I must say as well of the modern mini (or maybe just the mini one convertible from 2005, I don't know), that it's one of the most un-smooth gearboxes I think I've ever driven with and I wish there was some way of making it smoother. 3rd to 2nd is especially rough and for someone struggling with a left shoulder rotator cuff injury, every one of those gear changes makes me wince!

#4 ·
You may need new gearlever selector cables or lubrication of the linkage on top of the gearbox....my gear change is always smoother after changing the gearbox oil but very few garages or manufacturers bother to do this anymore as BMW say 'sealed for life' but not really true.

#5 ·
Is the 'gear lever selector device' the same as whatever the do-da is called that links the gear stick to the gearbox??!? If so (I believe there's two of them??), then one's corroded and been replaced already. Unfortunately I can't say that the drive was any better.

Having had the gearbox rebuilt they must have had to refill it with new oil....

Guess it just comes down to the gearbox at the end of the day.

In fact every part beneath the car seems to be falling to bits, corroding or half dropping off which I do find rather disappointing. I've got so much to do on it that in this month and next it will probably have set me back about £400 by the time all the work's been done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.