MINI Cooper Forum banner

Main dealer diagnostic - what info does it give?

5K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  mab01uk 
#1 ·
I've not had my '04 Cooper S convertible that long. It's just done 50000miles.
The small dealer I bought it from threw in a service with the deal but they're a bit vague as to exactly what was done and the receipt is non-specific so I'd like to put my mind at rest as to what exactly was done and am thinking of taking it to a main dealer to maybe have a re-service with them.
It's been stamped every 10000miles in the book (with receipts)
What sort of info will they be able to get from plugging into my Mini's computer? Can they track any service history from doing this or am I dreaming?
The car feels great has no issues/everything works.

Just looking for some advice really.

Thanks guys :smile:

#2 ·
After an Oil Service around 10K miles, service intervals are around 15K miles but these "miles" are dependent on driving conditions. Cars driven in stop and go traffic or driven "hard" will have this service interval count down faster than those driven mostly on the highway. The miles to next service and next service due are displayed on the speedometer when you first turn on the ignition.
Oil Service
Inspection 1 Service
Oil Service
Inspection 2 Service
>>>> repeat <<<<​
The oil, oil filter and cabin (micro) filter are supposed to be changed at each service. The following will give you an idea of what is done at Inspection 1 and 2 Services:

In addition, based on build date, the brake fluid should be changed every 2 years and coolant flushed every 4 years.

If your car has been serviced at a MINI dealer any dealer should be able to tell you the service history of the car.

#4 ·
The Main Dealer diagnostic computer can't of course tell if the work was actually carried out if that is what you mean.....the Mini's onboard servicing computer can easily be reset by any garage or mechanic to start counting down to next service without changing oil or fitting new parts if they really wanted to be dishonest.

#8 ·
Just looked:
It says 'Miles inspect 15400'
The odometer reads 50150.
It was 'serviced' about 50 miles ago.
When reset the service interval is 15500 so it makes sense it was recently reset.

If miles driven matched service miles (which it doesn't) the service schedule would be:
10,000 = Oil Service
25,500 = Inspection 1 Service
41,000 = Oil Service
56,500 = Inspection 2 Service
72,000 = Oil Service​

As suggested you need to go to a dealer and get any service history on the car. Without knowing the history you can't rely on the type of service displayed on the speedometer.

#7 ·
Hi ya

just a though if you take your car to mini go to the service desk they may be able to pull some info from the key, that is one of the reasons to swap keys everyone in a while some charge some don't some hold info some don't. but it will not tell you what when or who but may give you some info to work with.

the service info on the cars speedo can be reset very easily if you want to and are shore it has been serviced

hope this helps

#10 ·
Thanks Marque & Caveman.
I'm going to book it in for the dealer to give it a thorough checkover.
At least then my mind will be at rest.
Will also quiz them about key info.
You can get the recorded service history from any MINI Dealer for free if you quote them the Registration or VIN Number or take the key into reception, no need to book in.

If you do book an older MINI in for a general 'check over' at a MINI Main Dealer be prepared for a long list of expensive and often 'unnecessary' work to be reported back.......:eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.