MINI Cooper Forum banner

My 2004 Cooper S

15K views 48 replies 14 participants last post by  C00P3R2011 
#1 ·
Hello people,

Just bought my second Mini today after owning a regular 2003 Cooper, I have upgraded to a 2004 Cooper S.
I wanted a 2006 JCW, but all the ones I looked at were high mileage and a bit tatty.

The one I bought has just 38k on the clock with full BMW service history and although it's a 10 year old car it looks and drives like it's brand new.

My plans are to get the interior chrome pack.
The Evo 2 Software update from BBR - BBR.-GTi - The Conversions - Mini
Change the front grill to all black mesh JCW version.

Change the headunit for one with USB, MP3 & Bluetooth handsfree.

Would also love to update the SatNav as per this one
Not sure how this can be done? Any help would be much appreciated.

See less See more
1 2
#3 ·
Yeah I noticed nobody sells the complete chrome pack for the satnav.
Will order those bits separately. I had them on my last mini. Definitely a big improvement over the cheap plastic look.

I really want to sort the stereo out first. Have you changed your head unit and if so has it affected the SatNav?

#4 ·
Yes I changed my head unit but I took the 2 wires for the sat nav sound and wired them to a jack plug which I plugged into the auxiliary port on the new head unit, it just means I have to put the stereo onto aux to hear the sat nav but I never use it now I always use my tomtom as I cant be bothered with twiddling & pressing the button rather than using a touch screen on the tomtom

#7 ·
It's been a month since I bought this Mini.

Here's what's been done so far -

£25 SatNav 2014 Disc.
£10 New wheel centre caps.
£76 Interior chrome pack.
£25 Mini Stereo Fixing And Steering Wheel Stalk Adapter Kit.
£90 BMW MINI R53 Piano Black Mesh Grill.
£200 Oil Services, Aircon regas, rear washer jet unblocked + grill fitted.
£190 Kenwood KDC-BT73DAB.

Total: £616

Getting new brake pads put on next. The ECB Redstuff ones.

This I would like to do in the not too distant future. Although I will be keeping this cars for a few years, so might be a long slow project. All the most important things I've done now.

Upgrade the brakes to either the JCW or R56 ones.
17% reduced pulley + Remap + Performance panel filters & plugs.
Add Sprint Booster 2.
Maybe by a 5 piece dash and get it professionally painted piano black or wrapped unless I can get hold of a clean JCW's carbon fibre or preferable leather dash pieces.

Also if I find a set of these seats in this colour I'd be very tempted to get those as well.

I'd like to keep the look all original Mini parts. Apart from the Grill & Stereo.
Any performance mods will be stealth.

If there's anything else you think I should consider, I'd be interested to know!

Cheers

#8 ·
You wont need a remap with them mods but if your going to a 17% pulley I would think about getting a bigger intercooler or safer to go for the 15% pulley if your not changing the intercooler. Instead of a panel filter have a look at the orranje stealth airbox they perform well give you loads more whine from the supercharger & look standard

#10 ·
With a 17% pulley fitted in the summer months you will get heat soak especially if you have been putting your foot down which will cause you to lose power & maybe make the engine run too hot as the standard intercooler isn't sufficient to remove the extra heat generated by more boost. BMW fitted a bigger intercooler to the JCW for this reason & they only run a 11% pulley. Some people have a 17% fitted & standard intercooler without any problems but if your planning to keep the car for a while & want a 17% I would go bigger to be on the safe side although I dont think any of them will look standard. I have a GRS fitted on mine
this is also the orranje stealth airbox

#12 ·
I am a bit ocd with the engine bay I clean them up & keep them that way on all my cars I have had. I first put a panel filter in when I fitted my 17% pulley then decided a couple of months after to buy the orranje one which is much better (you wont believe how much more whine you get) I then got the intercooler a month or so later.
So far I have..
Fletcher exhaust
17% pulley
Orranje air box
Lightened crank pulley
GRS intercooler
Dyno'd at Lohen 217bhp

Plus other cosmetic mods
Lowered etc

Not done the brakes yet it just had fitted to it new discs & pads when I bought it & they seem pretty good but I will upgrade them sooner or later

Pic just after lowering 30mm + spacers

Attachments

#16 ·
I had non run flats on my last one and that did make a difference.
This one has Pirelli P-Zero's run flats and feels spongey. Not a hard ride at all.

Both my cars had exactly the same wheels. I actually think the handling on my standard Cooper is/was noticeably better than this one. Not sure if that's down to the suspension, traction control or both?

#17 ·
hi just bougtht a 2002 cooper s, I want to change all nessary belts, oils, fluids, filters etc.. any advice on what to change?? totally new to minis and supercharged cars and want to try and make this car last! the car has just under 90,000 miles and any advice would be most welcome!!

#18 ·
I'm not experienced or mechanical enough to help you with that. Sure you will find the answers somewhere on here.

Came out to my car to go home from work and noticed some f***ing c*nt scrapped my back bumper without leaving a note. Not sure if it was done at work or home last night. Definitely wasn't there yesterday.

Not happy.

#20 ·

Got my new dash installed. Kept the original just in case.

Also had a JCW exhaust fitted.

Next on the list are some JCW brakes. Also looking to possibly get some alcantara JCW seats if I can find a set at an affordable price.

Would do nice to get the rest of the dash and interior done in dark grey alcantara, but don't have any idea of costs and back up plan if it doesn't look good. Anyone had this or similar done?

#23 ·
minione2002 - I haven't changed my filters, so still on the standard issue ones.

roadhog - I bought the dash off eBay for £40. I got it painted + fitted + DAB ariel installed + a very light scratch buffed out all for £200.

Never did find out who scuffed my bumper, but that actually polished right out. Can't even notice it now unless you really look. That is litrally the only mark on the car.
Had 2 chips in my windscreen which I had replaced recently as well, so now the car is like new again.

#26 ·
Unfortunately I asked my mechanic to install the DAB aerial and didn't give him the instruction and just assumed he knew what he was doing.
It needs to go on the left of the windscreen and not on the top middle when I instructed him. So it doesn't work.
I've bought a spare for £20, but not had it fitted yet as the only place I know around here that fits them quoted me £80. It's not a top priority for me as I mostly listen to mp3's off a usb.

The fitting instructions came with the stereo. If you haven't got it just google your head unit and I'm sure you'll find the instructions online.

The autoleads harness I got off ebay for £20. including the stalk adapter. I could never get the stalk adapter to work though.

If you find one that works, let me know!

#28 ·
Not yet. Still need to get my brakes fitted first. Not had the time.

I thought with a 17% pulley that would help to get closer to 200 or 210 bhp from the standard 170 bhp?

What's "cold plugs"?

Also last month I was in court and got 6 points on my licence for speeding, so for me I'm not so sure getting a reduced pulley and tune up would do me any favours. The only good thing here is that from getting caught speeding to getting the points took 18 months, so only another 18 months before they come off my licence.

I've never had more than 3 points on my licence at one time before, so a tip I learnt the hard way. When you get awarded points, depending on how far you are in to your insurance policy, I would advise to cancel you existing policy right away without telling your insurer about the points. Then find a new insurer and come clean on the points.

I was 8 months in to my policy by the time I got my points. The solicitor and judge made it clear I need to tell my insurer, so I did and they told me I needed to pay an extra £196.
Tried to cancel my policy and they said it's backdated. Tried everything I could, but there was no way of getting out of paying the extra £196. If I had just cancelled, I would have got around £200 back for the 4 months remaining on the policy to use towards a new insurer.
Through the comparison sites, Tesco would have insured me with the 6 points for £40 less than I had paid Elephant before I even had the points.

Around here there are police hiding in vans with speed cameras, fixed speed cameras, patrol cars with hidden cameras, average speed check cameras, box junctions with cameras, ***** on mopeds looking to ticket cars 24/7 and so on...
Probably the same across most of England.

Any fun there was in driving is being taken away.

#29 ·
I fitted this kenwood into my mk1 TT, and the windscreen DAB aerial works absolutely great, as you say, as per instructions on LH side with it touching metal Apillar.
I have tried dabonwheels best one in my golf and it was crap. Have you checked that the lead is fully pushed into the back of the headunit? as this powers the aerial as well.
If you can't move the aerial (only designed to be used once) I would buy another Kenwood one, as it works really well with their headunit.
The cooper has HK speaker package, so I think that makes it more complicated?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.