MINI Cooper Forum banner

Automatic headlights and daytime running lights

54K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Kev50027 
#1 ·
Hi, Newbie here,
Just got my first mini last week - a 14plate cooper sd roadster in lightning blue. She is gorgeous, but I'm having a minor issue with the automatic xenon headlights and the daytime running lights option.
So far the dealer has been unable to explain to me exactly how these two work together or separately, and thus I need to help of other owners. The car is a UK spec car (not sure if that makes a difference?) (and yes I have read the manual, but to no avail).

The issue is - with lights set to auto (position 3 on the stalk )(and dlr off) - my full xenons are on permanently, regardless of weather and daylight conditions - i had assumed, like on my previous car that when sunny etc., the auto lights would automatically switch themselves off?!

With the DLR option turned on - again, my full headlamps are on fully - I would have assumed them to be at half power, or only the lower lamps in the bumper would be on.

The other issue appears to be, regardless of the settings being used - my speedo and rev counter are illuminated, which to me means my headlights are on.

Please can someone help - I'm off to the dealer tomorrow (saturday) morning for some assistance, but since they can't explain it to me on the phone, I some how doubt it will be any better in person.

Thanks in advance!!

See less See more
#3 ·
If Auto is selected the headlights should come on in low light conditions and be off in bright light, but there is a daylight running option selectable on the car computer to allow the headlights to be on dip all the time.
They wont come on half power on the daylight running mode, only normal dip.

So if the daylight running option is not selected and auto is, the lights should go on and off themselves as the daylight brightness level dictates.
Thats how mine work.

I know if auto is selected and the lights come on they take a while to go back off once the light level increases this is so they arent flashing on and off at short intervals.

Maybe your sensor is obstructed by a windscreen sticker? I think the sensor that controls the headlights is the bump on the top of the dash in the middle near the screen and the sensor behind the mirror that can be seen on the screen from the outside is the wiper rain sensor.

#4 ·
Thanks for the responses - I had wondered whether or not the auto headlights were either too sensitive or not sensitive enough.

Its sunny here today and they came on this morning. I will turn them back to Auto and drive back to work and will check when at the office to see if they're on or off.

My neighbour has a Jag which is always parked in his garage - he said that his auto lights always come on and stay on for a good couple of minutes before going off, even in bright sunlight - perhaps the mini ones work in the same way, as The Nun suggested.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.