MINI Cooper Forum banner

R52 A pillar interior trim removal

8K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  usiny 
#1 ·
I've recently bought a late 2004 Cooper S convertible, and I'm working my way through all the squeaks, creaks and rattles. I've done the doors, rear panels, and dash trims. The major noises now seem to come from the A pillar interior trims, so I want to remove them and apply tape or felt.

Anyone know how to do this without breaking the trim?

#3 ·
Found quite a few ideas by googling:

Cleaning the window seals with Gummipflege
Smearing silicone grease on the rubber seal in the door cutout behind the door cards
Applying 3M Durapore surgical tape to the contact areas of the dash panels.

I haven't found anything that is loose, it's just a case of finding everything that creaks or squeaks when prodded, and putting something slippery between the contact points

#4 ·
I figured since there were no posts about this, it had to be really easy - and it was!
Just a case of unscrewing the sunvisor and carefully pulling the trim free. Two lugs going into slots in the top of the dash, and a couple of clips holding it to the windscreen top/middle trim.

Once the trim was removed, it was obvious where most of the noises were coming from - a couple of short lengths of rubber edging strip that act as spacers between the back of the trim and the metal pillar. I removed the rubber bits, and wrapped 3 layers of Durapore tape around the plastic webs. I also added tape to the lugs and clips, and anywhere else it looked like the trim would rub on another surface.

Seems to have done the trick!

#5 ·
A pillars are now quiet! Today, I removed the trim from the rollbar to stop the creaks from the rear. Wrapped some Durapore tape around the locating flanges at the bottom of the chrome finishers, and on each of the clips holding the front and rear black mouldings together. I also fited a few pieces of tape to the plastic mouldings behind the C pillar fabric. Another step towards peace and quiet!
Only problem is, each time I cure the source of the loudest noise, I can hear something else. Next job is to re-do the dash. This time I'll remove the complete binnacle, not just the body-colour panels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.