MINI Cooper Forum banner

Greetings! I just picked up an '07 Mini Cooper, not sure what I have exactly....

783 views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Restyle 
#1 ·
So, I've been in love with these cars for as long as I can remember. I finally managed to pick up a 2007 Mini Cooper Base. Or so I thought. The VIN says it's a base, but it has the supercharged whine to it and I just filled it up and it took just over 12 gallons. Capacity for a base is 10. So I'm trying to figure out exactly what I have but I love it anyway. I named it Dave after a Despicable Me minion. Anyway, looking forward to being a part of the mini community!

#3 ·
Open the bonnet and look for a supercharger, turbo charger or intercooler. Speaking of the bonnet, does it have a scoop in it?

The twin central exhausts are also a clue, as is the battery in the boot rather than engine bay.

Post up some pictures and people here will advise.

I suspect you'll be disappointed and have a cooper with an air leak or induction system.

#8 ·
Ok, that makes sense about the US vs UK gallons. It didn't seem to react like an S. Hopefully whatever is making that noise isn't too major. It has a good service record and otherwise acts like a new car despite the 135k miles on it.

Just put 400+ miles on it driving around Washington state and did great with lots of fuel left over. I'm really impressed with it. I'm not disappointed with my mini at all. Hopefully the picture posts from my phone.

Thanks for the assistance so far!

Attachments

#13 ·
It's a cooper base. Has a few gadgets and toys in the options but it certainly isn't anything terribly special. The interior lighting package is pretty though. But being that I've been admiring the classic ones for decades, I'm obscenely happy with my zippy, 40mpg mini.

How can you beat a car that is quick enough to get out of traffic situations, comfortable for long trips (put 500 miles on it Friday,) corners like it's on tracks, and is just plain good for everything except rock crawling. It reminds me of my classic bug but quieter with air conditioning.

My main confusion with the specs was the fuel capacity. I didn't think it had any kind of super or turbo charger, I've driven them and this one isn't that quick. I'm just not that familiar with MINI and totally spaced on the whole US vs UK measurements. Just happy to have found one I could afford in such good shape. Everyone I've introduced it to has loved it despite it's low model status. But, my friends aren't snobby that way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.