MINI Cooper Forum - View Single Post - Hand brake & run flat lights coming on intermittently

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2014, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie
Local Time: 03:19 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom
Question Hand brake & run flat lights coming on intermittently

Hi all,

Just got a 2001 mini, and already lights are coming on (this always happens to me!).

The handbrake light will come on while I'm driving, this issue comes and goes. Didn't happen at all yesterday when I drove, then today when I was headed home it came on. Got home, let it sit for a while, went back out, and lights never came back on. I've already checked the brake fluid which is fine. I had a look at the switch, it sometimes sticks when pushed in but that effects the light going off, not coming on. Couldn't see any other visual clues to why the light would be coming on.

Second thing is the run flat light. It pops on every time I drive for more than about 5 minutes. It's solid yellow, which I know means a malfunction, but I can't for the life of me figure out why. My google-fu is not working in this instance. I've tried resetting it about a billion times, but it still comes on every time I drive. If I stop the car, switch it off and back on, it does go out but comes back on after 5 minutes of driving.

I did take it to the garage last week because when I checked the tyre pressure that one was a bit low, and the tread wasn't looking great. They changed my bushings, replaced that tyre, and gave me an alignment. He said the light wasn't coming on anymore after that, but as soon as I drove it off, 5 minutes later it came on :/

Any ideas would be much appreciated.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome