MINI Cooper Forum banner

Door Won't Open!!

7K views 32 replies 18 participants last post by  RDMac 
#1 ·
When it's freezing outside my driver's door won't open on my Cooper. The central locking mechanism works fine but when you pull the door handle nothing happens, even from the inside when you pull the handle it just won't open (the passenger door and boot are fine).

Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?

#9 ·
david_75 said:
Do you know if he got the problem resolved?
Ist time was before Christmas not the fridgid temps of late. Went away. Had car in for 10000 oil change. Dealer said couldn't work on it unless problem presents itself again.

last weekend on RDRII pre run my poor wife was locked inside and had to crawl over console.
back at dealer and he suggs it was misture or condensation in door. Got the impression many had similiar probs.

In next week for look see at dealer

#14 ·
Thanks for all your replies everyone!

I've just tried opening my door now and it still won't open!!! and it's not freezing outside anymore!!

So I rang my dealer and he said he's never heard of this problem before but said I need to bring the car in ASAP and they will fix it under warranty.

#15 ·
david_75 said:

I've just tried opening my door now and it still won't open!!! and it's not freezing outside anymore!!

So I rang my dealer and he said he's never heard of this problem before but said I need to bring the car in ASAP and they will fix it under warranty.
Print out this thread and do also a search for Frozen door locks and lay it on 'em :)

#18 ·
Me too!

david_75 said:

I have exactly the same problem, and it only happends on the driver side. My dealer replaced a lot of stuff, but witout any positive result.
My impression is that thesimply dont know.

#19 ·
I had that same problem tonight. Temperature is below freezing and rainy, slushy snow is all over the place. The passenger door wouldn't open from the inside or outside. Pulling the handle on the outside offered no resistance, it just wasn't engaging with the opening mechanism. I warmed up the handle with my hand and squeezed the lever several times until it engaged and I was able to open the door. It appears that water has gotten inside the latching mechanism and prevented it from engaging when the lever is pulled. Warmth and friction overcame the problem.

#20 ·
I grew up in Buffalo, NY (an area imfamous for its bad winter weather) and this all just sounds like a classic case of lock freeze.

I can't recall the name of any particular product but there is a bottle available with a specially adapted top to stick into a lock and it sprays various chemicals to melt the ice freezing the lock/keeping the door shut.

#21 ·
I've had this on a number of occasions when it's been very cold. I just spray de-icer into the lock and keep trying to open the doors. Eventually they come open. Then I usually find that the driver's side door mechanism is frozen so the door then won't shut!

Conclusion: MINIs are wusses. They need to toughen up. Is there a boot camp for cars? ;)

#22 ·
I have this too.

Sometimes both doors. Occasionally alternating doors. Usually drivers door. It seems to be the door mechanism - not the lock so I cant see how de-icer would work. I am going to try and give it a spray with WD40

#25 ·
Had the problem today on my Cooper S. Handle is rock solid not window sticking to rubber.

I have this problem all the time with my classic Mini so it's not new to me! The large chrome exposed handle surely doesn't help on both models!

With the Classic Mini I put a lighter flame on the handle ...... don't think I'll be doing that to the Cooper S !!

Might stick one of those hand warmers in the boot, the chemical type that heat up with a click :)

#26 ·
I've got this problem now. Picked my mum up from work last night she got into the car no prob but when it came to getting out she couldn't. The door handles inside and out seem as if they ain't connected to anything. Just been out to see if it has cured it's self but it hasn't. Bugger.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.