MINI Cooper Forum banner

US --- Mysteries of the Vehicle Distribution Center (aka VPC)

14K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  FiremanMike 
#1 ·
For MINIs going to the US, the stage of the journey between ocean shipping and truck transport to the dealer is the Vehicle Distribution Center (also known as VPC: vehicle processing center).

There is a rumor that some serious quality control work is being done to US MINIs at the VPC. Some new owners tracking the progress of their cars have reported that their MINIs have spent up to 2 weeks at the VPC before being taken to the dealers. And at least one MINI was delivered to the dealer with 13 miles on the odometer, which seems to show it was thoroughly road tested before being released.

Although we all are impatient to get our MINIs, it's certainly worth the wait to get a car that has been inspected and fully sorted out. So I'm glad to see MINIUSA is taking the time to get things right. :)

So, 3 questions to those of you in the US who recently tracked and now have your new MINIs:

1. How long was it at the VPC?
2. How many miles were on it when you picked it up?
3. How is the quality?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Still at the VDC

Started tracking my mini on April 9. It was at the VDC that day, with an estimated delivery to the dealer on April 16. But it is not at the dealer as of today (April 21). So it looks like it will be at the VDC for at least 2 weeks.

One more thought as to why it takes so long: Mini dealer mentioned that they are sharing space on the delivery truck with the BMW dealer. I suspect that someone waiting for the $50K Beemer gets priority over us folks waiting for the $20K Mini!

#3 ·
Re: Still at the VDC

mini101 said:
..I suspect that someone waiting for the $50K Beemer gets priority over us folks waiting for the $20K Mini!
That's a good point, but you can almost fit 2 MINIs in the amount of space a 7-series takes up! :D

Surely, they have allowed for dealing with the new MINI demand in addition to the normal BMW demand.

I'd rather believe that MINIs where spending 2 weeks in VPC as part of a quality control process, instead of just waiting for a ride. Wishful thinking? :confused:

#4 ·
Got the call!!

Picking up my Cooper at 4pm today. :)

Here is the timeline:

Feb or March, 2002: Assembled
March 22, 2002: Received at terminal (Southampton)
March 25, 2002: Loaded on vessel
April 4, 2002: Discharged (New York)
April 5, 2002: Delivered to VPC
April 18, 2002: Released from the VPC, loaded on truck for VA
April 20, 2002: Arrived at dealership
April 22, 2002: TAKING DELIVERY :D

So, it spent a good 2 weeks at the VPC. At least the dealer can tell you when it's done in NJ and on it's way to you :). This evening I will post with the number of miles and any details about the quality (I expect nothing less than perfect).

#5 ·
Re: Re: Still at the VDC

BruceK said:
That's a good point, but you can almost fit 2 MINIs in the amount of space a 7-series takes up! :D
But then again one 7-series = 4-Cooper S's, well that's at UK prices anyway :p :p
I do like the idea of 2 weeks in VPC, but surely that's a pipe dream and what about us over here? :(

#6 ·
Picked up my car tonight!! (Will post pics soon) It had 9 miles on the odometer when my fiance and I left the dealer.

The quality is awesome! Everything works as it should and the car is tight as drum, although they didn't remove all of the wax from the body but I'll be detailing it again soon anyhow.

#7 ·
S2K&CooperS said:
Picked up my car tonight!! (Will post pics soon) It had 9 miles on the odometer when my fiance and I left the dealer.

The quality is awesome! Everything works as it should and the car is tight as drum, although they didn't remove all of the wax from the body but I'll be detailing it again soon anyhow.
Congratulations!!!! :) :) :) :) :)

Nine miles sounds like some decent roadtesting! :D

#9 ·
Nine miles sounds like some decent roadtesting! :D

And at least one MINI was delivered to the dealer with 13 miles on the odometer, which seems to show it was thoroughly road tested before being released.

All work & no play makes Jack a dull boy....so on lunch break the workers at the VPC set out the slalom cones and have at it!! :D :D :eek: :eek: :p :p

#10 ·
Now I'm Getting Nervous

Well, my Mini has been at the VPC since April 5 or 6. The owner's lounge still says the estimated delivery date is April 16, but it is already April 25. What could they be doing with the car at the VPC for 3 weeks? Should I assume that it has failed some tests and has lemon potential?

Folks at the dealer (Don Rosen Mini) just nicely shrug their shoulders and say, 'we'll call you when it gets here.'

Any suggestions?

#12 ·
Re: Now I'm Getting Nervous

mini101 said:
Well, my Mini has been at the VPC since April 5 or 6. The owner's lounge still says the estimated delivery date is April 16, but it is already April 25. What could they be doing with the car at the VPC for 3 weeks? Should I assume that it has failed some tests and has lemon potential?

Folks at the dealer (Don Rosen Mini) just nicely shrug their shoulders and say, 'we'll call you when it gets here.'

Any suggestions?
Apparently on the Cooper S models an additional bracket is being fitted at VPC to help secure the gearbox. If your car is an S, it could be waiting for bracket parts to arrive or similar.

And if your car is a standard Cooper then who knows? :confused: A fix for the left pull perhaps?

Hope you get it soon!!

#14 ·
Mini101:

Glad to hear that your agonizing wait is soon over!!!

#15 ·
It's mine!

Picked up the mini this afternoon -- only 3 miles on the odometer, so I guess it was just hanging out at the VDC.

Took it for a 30 mile spin and everything is great. What fun!

And took my sister and wife and kids a couple blocks to dinner -- yep, 5 people in the mini. Not altogether safe, but everyone loved the ride.

#16 ·
Mini101

I asked this on the Don Rosen Feedback thread:

How long/involved was the delivery???

Which dealer rep helped you??

#17 ·
Time at the VPC isn't necessarily a good thing. It is quite likely that anything more than a few days involves some serious remedial work, potentially relating to exterior damage during the journey from the factory. My understanding is that these centres (centers!) have 'factory standard' bodyshops (which may be on-site or contracted out) to address any problems.

If your car is at the VPC or equivalent for more than a week anywhere in the world (including the UK - where I believe cars go to the UK BMW distribution centre from Oxford before delivery) then give it a careful going over when you take delivery and get your dealer to find out why it was delayed.

MrM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.