MINI Cooper Forum banner

Engine Name/Code?

17K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Angib 
#1 ·
Does anyone know the name/code of the Cooper S engine? (i.e. the current Corvette engine is known as the LS1, etc.) I can't seem to find that information anywhere on the net.

Thanks!

#2 ·
My best guess would be "Tritec 1.6" as the Tritec Motors facility was set-up to produce an engine in 1.4 and 1.6 litre flavours. At the time of investment, there weren't any other plans to produce other engines at the facility. I am not aware of any other specific 'engine codes' that could apply to this motor.

#4 ·
AidenL, good memory. The code name during development was indeed "Pentagon". That would make the engine a "Tritec Pentagon 1.6".

Another question solved by MINI2. Good job.

#6 ·
Power Packs????

Just to add a little spice to this, there's another name for the MINI's engine in this article from about 10 months ago:

"Both models are front-wheel drive and propelled by 16-valve, 1.6-liter, inline four-cylinder engines know as the "Brazilian Power Packs." Tritec Motors Ltda., a joint venture of BMW and DaimlerChrysler, builds the engines for Mini in Brazil."

The full article is here:

http://www.chron.com/cgi-bin/auth/story.mpl/content/chronicle/auto/01/08/15/mini.html

#7 ·
I found that too, but figured "Brazilian Power Packs" was sort of a slang term.

While we're on the topic of codes... Is the MINI and E33 car, or is it an RE33? Or is this just meaningless VIN stuff?

I mean in the same designation sense as people refer to their BMW generation as a E46, etc...

#8 ·
noahe said:
I found that too, but figured "Brazilian Power Packs" was sort of a slang term.

While we're on the topic of codes... Is the MINI and E33 car, or is it an RE33? Or is this just meaningless VIN stuff?

I mean in the same designation sense as people refer to their BMW generation as a E46, etc...

I don't really know much about the BMW "E" nomenclature, but while the MINI was under development the regular car was coded the R50 and the Cooper S was R53. More trivia: On the 1/12 Revell model made in Germany it mistakenly calls the standard Cooper the R53 on the packaging.

#9 ·
BMW internal codes:

Cooper: R50

Cooper engine: W10B16

Cooper S: R53

Cooper S engine: W11B16

The engine code is decoded with W10 and W11 being the engine family, B denotes a gas and not diesel engine (it escapes me at the moment what the letter is short for) and 16 is the displacement.

This code is consistent with BMW engines, for example the current 3.2L M3 engine is the S54B32.

Mario

Reactions: wellwh0
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.