MINI Cooper Forum banner

Alarm gone mad....

6K views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  EBMCS03 
#1 ·
Anyone got any advice regarding the factory fit alarm going off for no reason?

Yesterday the alarm started going without any obvious reason, orignally there was a couple of hours gaps between, then in the early evening couldn't even walk away from the car before the alarm started to sound.

Did all the usual things checked the doors were shut propery, windows up, no lights on etc. Couldn't find any advice in the manual so did a search hon here and while I counf nothing specific I did read on here about potential ECU problem due to the unit getting wet. As it was the first time it had rained since collecting the car last weekend I opened the bonnet to see if there was anything obvious I could dry.

In the meantime my wife (its actually her car) called out the 24hr BMW Emergency service to see if they could offer any advice, explain how tro disable the alarm, remove the fuse etc. But, as it was a weekend (and a Public holiday here inte UK) a contractor came out without any specific experience of the Mini. He arrived about an hour after the eta we were given due to an emergency call (not a problem) so in the meantime I tried again and the alarm worked normally....stood watching for 5 mins keys in hand then decided to open the car again and shut the bonnet (hood) which I head left open on the chance the air circualting may dry out a connection etc. Locked up again and all worked fine. A few minutes later the recovery van turned up...short of shining a torch into the car to make sure there wasn't an insect flyng around he left without doing much. However he did say the tther eas a proble mwith water ingres into the footwells onthe mini awhich fries the ECU. Can anyone confirm if the symptoms we experienced yesterday are a indicator of this problem o, or even if his is a real problem and not just a recovery team rumour....

I intend booking the car into get it checked out, but I'd rather go into the dealership prepared rather then have them bulls**t me.....

See less See more
#2 ·
A little bit of an update....Gil has driven the car today and noticed (how can she not have noticed before?) that the bonnet/boot (hood/trunk) warning light is on on the dash. When I was messing around last night all the lights were on because the engine wasn'nt started. Now trying to find where the sensor for the boot is to make sure its clean and connecting ok....anyone got any suggestions nothing appears obvious.....

#6 ·
Doh....thought it had cured itself, it had been quiet all day yesterday.....then @ 5am this morning the alarm goes mad again, reset it and had just got back into bed and off it goes again.....

Is it a coinicdence that it was raining on Sunday, and raining again this morning? The only 2 days rain since we picked the car up.....

Paul....tried searching but couldn't find a specific thread relating to the boot light...if you are familiar with its content could you help identify it?

#7 ·
Anoher update, when we called our contact in the dealer he suggestd we call the Mini Roasdside number, a very nice man (according to my wife) came out, diagnosed the fault as the accentuator (is that correct spelling? ) replaced it and fine tuned the adjustment on the stoppers on the tailgate.

Alarm hasn't gone off since ....fingers crossed......

#10 ·
Right I've read a few other threads and had a chance to discuss wit hthe wife. The light stayed off all the way to her mums picking up the kids, then on the way home the warning light flickered and then stayed on....as other posts have suggested I've reset the lock mechanism, I've tried to realign the latch. I've gone around the car putting pressure on the bonnet at various points (where is the microswitch on the bonnet?) same on the boot and the warning light stays on.....I've laid across the seats to see if the boot light stays on (it doesn't!).

Of course its late in the day and if we call out the emergency guys it'll be a tow truck again......

#11 ·
Fopund out some things that may help other owners with same or similar problem.

1 - Although you can't disable the alarm whne locking the car normally, if you remove the top 3 fuses marked for each of the e/w's and the c/l and the alarm is disabled. You'll have to lock up the car manually and won't be able to get in the boot but you will be able to lock the car up without disturbing the rest of your neighbours.

2 - If you have problems getting you dealer to give you a curtosy car without a long wait, if its a problem that you feel you can legitimatly call the emergency services number they will ensure you get a hire car.

Hope this helps someone else.

#12 ·
Another update....I managed to identify and disconnect the bonnet open sensor and the dash warning light stays off, so hopefully that identified the problem. Wanting to test out my theory ans see if the alarm would sound again I reinserted the fuses, e/w work finebut the c/l is now causing problems . Whilst the central locking (from dash toggle, remote or key in lock) refuses to lock it will UNlock from using any method. I've read this may be related ot a safety feature (to stop peole being locked inthe car if they mess arond withthe switches) that should return to normal after a short while. I left it over night without any change.

Can any one advise?

#14 ·
Ype, all fixed now, needed a new bonnet sensor which was fitted yesterday morning. Plugging in the diagnostic tool reset the locking problem.

For anyone interested the bonnet sensor is under the plastic trim at the bottom of the boot opening. The bonnet sensor is attached to the drivers side (on UK cars at least) bonnet catch. its a small plug connector that can be easily removed.

All fixed and happy now....the mini had to stay overnight at the dealers on Friday though as there wasn't a sensor in stock at the dealers. BMW Emergency Service (see previous post above) arranged a hire car for her...a Nissan Almera, how I laughed when I pulled up at home on Friday night, the wife who until getting her mini 2 weeks ago had showed no intrerest in cars had suddenly become Jeremy Clarkson......LOL....ripped it to pieces, didn't even like the colour!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.