Manual folding mirrors [Archive] - MINI Cooper Forum

: Manual folding mirrors

Sue_mini
Feb 27th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Hi All.
I have copied this because i placed it in the welcome area.

I have just purchased a 2006 plate Mini One. ( UK )

I have been trying fold the manual side mirrors but they seem very stiff and i am terrified of breaking them.

Do they actually folD in ?. If they do, how on earth do i do it ?.

Surely if i put any more pressure on, they'll snap off.
Please help. I'm struggling to get my new Mini into my garage.

Sue

gbwongy
Feb 27th, 2011, 07:08 PM
I have a 07 Clubman, and they fold by pushing the top half towards the window. It helps if you look at the neck of the mirror there is a horizontal line, that is the fold line, twist there towards the windscreen and it should pivot!

Smooth Criminal
Feb 27th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Theres basically no way to break them, providing your pushing them backwards (mirror side towards car)

Sue_mini
Feb 28th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Thank you very much. I'll give it a go and get back to this thread in case anyone else is having the same problem/worry

James
Feb 28th, 2011, 06:24 PM
you have to sort of aim slightly upwards

Angib
Feb 28th, 2011, 08:35 PM
If yours are stiff, I suggest you grab the housing with two hands and twist it to fold the mirror in - If you find it hard with one hand, you may be trying to push it where it doesn't want to go.

dillonmr
Apr 24th, 2011, 02:30 PM
As mentioned they do fold, if stiff a lick of WD-40 on the joint will free them up. I recon the stiffness you're feeling is because you're trying to fold them straight back. In fact they fold in a upwards motion. Hold the mirror with two hands cupping up and fold anticlockwise in a upwards motion as if pushing the mirror up to the door window, it should move quite freely, as gbwongy said look at the line at the base. hope this is of help

Ronnie