MINI Cooper Forum banner

Late Delivery - No news from the Factory?

6K views 46 replies 17 participants last post by  StevePSB 
#1 ·
I have now had a reply from Mini UK regarding the saga of delivery delays for my MCS. It would seem that rumours of production halt at the factory are true :

"Having checked into the details for your order we can confirm that this order was first placed by Scotthall in October 2004. We can also confirm that due to the recent Model Refresh that has taken place on the MINI Cooper S, it has been necessary to halt production at our plant in Oxford while the required changes were being made to the production facilities in order for the updated model to be produced. This has unfortunately had a knock on effect to the lead time for delivery of these vehicles.

We trust that this information has clarified the situation for you and that the knowledge that you will be receiving the very latest update of the MINI Cooper S will go at least some way to make up for the extended lead time you refer to.

In closing, we are truly sorry that you have had cause to contact us under these circumstances and hope you will understand why this delay has been unavoidable in the circumstances present here"

So the problem is at their end after all :rolleyes:

Caz

See less See more
#4 ·
This could be true cos even though the range was facelifted in July, LSD, the new washer bottle light weren't added til January and this may have been the changes they were referring to. LSD particulalry is only available on the MCS so maybe where the issue lies.

Hopefully you won't have much longer to wait and at least you got a response!

#5 ·
goonery said:
We still did'nt need to halt production, its called a running change, just means the workforce have to run to keep up a little:) , and if the car was ordered in October it should have been Dec or Jan build at worst.
Fair enough! Just trying to be positive for Caz!! However, mine was ordered last July and it arrived at the garage in Feb - appreantly they have a small allocation os S's, hence the long lead time - noticed only one other S prepped for pick up on 1st which means this does look likely at the garage I got mine from.

#7 ·
Maybe I should call it a day and just wait for the new one then! I was sort of hoping that someone at Mini UK might be able to put themselves out to check on progress of my individual order as I've been messed about so much. Guess that's asking too much. :p

#9 ·
goonery said:
Cars that are not for 'public' consumption have the 'invisibilty pack' option fitted.:p

I think the car that Caz ordered has arrived at the dealer, but invisibility pack is switched on :rolleyes:
Damn.... nice try anyway.... :p

Still, I still want to come and see for myself with my X Ray Specs... they need testing anyway.... :D

#12 ·
Well. this is frustratiing. I sold my '02 MCS and my new MCS is scheduled to be built next week (Week 11) and now I read that there are more changes coming. I held off ordering so I could get the web spoke wheels, LSD and arm rest, but now it sounds like there are other goodies pending.

Ah well. Elf, when you see the BRG/B NAS MCS (!!!) at your station next week please give the doors a little extra tweak :)

Thanks.

#14 ·
northandy said:
If its anything like our factory tours they'll hide all the secret stuff ;) ;)
I did a factory tour of the BMW plant in Spartanburg SC, USA a while back, during the early days of the Z3, and they had a bunch of M/Z3 Coupes sitting in a corner that were still supposed to be secret. Someone threw a tarp over them for the tour, but you could see the rear end anyway - and they didn't do a particularly good job of selecting cars, since there was one parked right next to them that they forgot to tarp! :cool:

This was quite some time before public availability, so it is possible that things roll down the assembly line long before the punters can buy them at a high street shop... (UK folks, did I do OK just now trying to speak the Queen's english...? :confused: )

Even if the upgrades are substantial and show up next month, I'm pleased as punch with the feature set that will ship on my 3/05 build Cooper S. If there's something new and compelling coming up, it gives me something to still lust after while surfing Mini2!

As a side note, the BMW driving schools are fabulous on the track at the Spartanburg plant if you get a chance. I took a "new driver's course" when I got my full license in a 330, and I credit some of the skills I learned (like fast lane-changes) with saving my bacon a few times, even in the counterfeit mini I drive now while I wait on my new Cooper S. I don't know if they've picked up some MINIs for the track since I was there, but if they have, I'd highly recommend it no matter what the cost.

Cheers,
Ben

#15 ·
The Elf said:
I work on the door line, I either fit the wiring harness, central door lock/latch, program the keys or do the electrical test. I know the doors almost inside out :p
So what's the deal with the continuing H/K door speaker rattle? This has been a known issue for months and months, and apparently hasn't been fixed at the factory yet?

I don't suppose that particular topic is too secret to talk about, is it? :)

#17 ·
Caz said:
Six and a half months today since I ordered my MCS and STILL no firm delivery date. Wow that production halt must have been a long one?? :mad:

Caz
Has your dealership not been given a date? I ordered mine in october, went back in November to add some options, and there computer said it was due delivery at the dealership on 21st April. I have heard nothing from the dealer since, but hope this date stands, as I have booked a holiday to cornwall using my car for the middle of May to run it in. Your order number is slightly before mine, so I would have thought yours was due early april. If not mine must be delayed further, and if I don't get it in time for my holiday I will be really upset, as I won't be able to get there.
Why oh why was there a production halt? I need my car soon !!

Hope you get a date soon! I may contact my dealer and see if there is any news on mine

#18 ·
They're telling me mid April at the latest now (originally told end of Jan but that may have been just to keep me happy). The whole thing has caused a lot of inconvenience - previous car to get rid of etc. and how to time things. However I've become resigned to waiting now :( Hope you get yours soon. Please let me know when you do. As you say, our order numbers appeared to be quite close together. As someone said earlier I think the delays are all about dealer allocations and mine has a low allocation.

Caz

#19 ·
Caz said:
They're telling me mid April at the latest now (originally told end of Jan but that may have been just to keep me happy). The whole thing has caused a lot of inconvenience - previous car to get rid of etc. and how to time things. However I've become resigned to waiting now :( Hope you get yours soon. Please let me know when you do. As you say, our order numbers appeared to be quite close together. As someone said earlier I think the delays are all about dealer allocations and mine has a low allocation.

Caz
My wait time was pretty similar to yours as I ordered my MCS at the end of July 2004 and I didn't collect it till 1st March. It arrived at the dealers on 16th Feb or something. I know that I chose to order mine really early for March collection but even then my dealer was not able to guarantee a 1st March slot, all they could say was Q1. It wasn't until about November/December time that I got told the build week and that yes it would be rady for 1st March. I know my delaer doesn't get huge allocations - was told it could be as low as only 6 MCS's a year - this would explain the long lead time for my car. I know people on here will tell you your wait is way too long, but I do think that this varies from dealer to delaer and a lot of people on here have wanted their Mini's as soon as possible and as such have rung a number of dealers and gone with the shortest lead time. I chose my dealer as it was where I bought my Cooper and also I know the sales peoples - friend's of my brother.

It I was you, I think by biggest concern would be not the wait time but the total lack of communication from your dealer. The fact that they seem to not be able to give you a build week is not very good at this stage.

Don't get disheartened - it will all be worth it when the car arrives!!

#20 ·
Many thanks for your sympathetic reply. It really helps hearing other people's stories and I realise I am not alone in having a very long wait ;) As you say, the worrying thing for me is the unconcerned attitude of the dealer. The Sales Manager phoned me over two weeks ago saying she would try to hurry things along and promised to get back to me very soon - since then - silence. The total lack of communication really winds me up. (Maybe they'll make up for it with a pack of goodies when I finally pick the car up - I'm not holding my breath though :p ) When I phoned them to say I had ordered special plates back in early February (they have already received these and they are sitting under the salesman's desk) they said they would make more plates themselves (so I could advertise Scotthall's name I presume) but they would charge me extra for the St George Cross and Eng which I had chosen rather than the usual Euro symbol! In hindsight, yes I should have shopped around for another dealer at the very beginning :eek:

#21 ·
wildchild jules said:
My wait time was pretty similar to yours as I ordered my MCS at the end of July 2004 and I didn't collect it till 1st March. It arrived at the dealers on 16th Feb or something. I know that I chose to order mine really early for March collection but even then my dealer was not able to guarantee a 1st March slot, all they could say was Q1. It wasn't until about November/December time that I got told the build week and that yes it would be rady for 1st March. I know my delaer doesn't get huge allocations - was told it could be as low as only 6 MCS's a year - this would explain the long lead time for my car. I know people on here will tell you your wait is way too long, but I do think that this varies from dealer to delaer and a lot of people on here have wanted their Mini's as soon as possible and as such have rung a number of dealers and gone with the shortest lead time. I chose my dealer as it was where I bought my Cooper and also I know the sales peoples - friend's of my brother.

It I was you, I think by biggest concern would be not the wait time but the total lack of communication from your dealer. The fact that they seem to not be able to give you a build week is not very good at this stage.

Don't get disheartened - it will all be worth it when the car arrives!!
I agree with most of your comments, except one.....the time when you are allocated a "production slot".

I changed my order from a MCS to a MCSC last week. My dealer were able to confirm a new "production slot" within 2 days..........not 5 months as your's has.....

#22 ·
wobert123 said:
I agree with most of your comments, except one.....the time when you are allocated a "production slot".

I changed my order from a MCS to a MCSC last week. My dealer were able to confirm a new "production slot" within 2 days..........not 5 months as your's has.....
Fair point - to be honest I didn't even think to ask mine before November time when I actually rang them to confirm the additional changes such as LSD and to add the final bits to my spec, so they may actually have known ahead of this time.

Does changing your order from an MCS to an MCSC push your production slot back by much???

#23 ·
wildchild jules said:
Fair point - to be honest I didn't even think to ask mine before November time when I actually rang them to confirm the additional changes such as LSD and to add the final bits to my spec, so they may actually have known ahead of this time.

Does changing your order from an MCS to an MCSC push your production slot back by much???
Nope.....3 weeks.......MCS was down as "Week 30 production".....MCSC is down as "Week 33 production". My dealer reckon they will get the car around 3-4 days ahead of the anticipated delivery date of 26th August.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.