MINI Cooper Forum banner

Rev counter?

4K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  biggaz67 
#1 ·
Hi All,

My better half just bought herself an '05 Cooper S Chilli and it's got most of the fruit bar the "chrono pack"
Does anyone know where I can get the small steering column mounted rev counter?
I don't want the whole Chrono pack as I have different plans for the centre console :biggrin:
Any help much appreciated if anyone uses particular parts / accessory suppliers that they've had good dealings with, local or o/s.
We're new to the whole mini thing but I can't wait for it to arrive after driving one a few weeks back (made my Quattro feel like a barge !)

cheers

#3 ·
Thanks minigolf.
What would make it so difficult? the centre rev counter is not likely to have different wiring to the column mounted one, I would have thought it should be reasonably straight forward as BMW is not likely to make it too complex to fit when ppl specify the chrono as this makes no sense cost wise.
Maybe I'm wrong, anyone enlighten me?

cheers

#7 ·
I take it what you want is to put both the speedo and rev counter on top of the steering wheel so you can put something else in the centre console?? If this is the case, then I’ve got some bad news for you. Firstly, the dual pod is actually a separate part, it’s not just the separate speedo and rev counters mounted side by side.

Secondly, you either have to have Nav, the speedo, the rev counter or the chrono pack in the central housing as each of these acts as the central part of the BUS systems used in the MINI. It is essentially the brain of the electrical system off which other sub systems such as the ECU and body control module sit and through which signals are passed from one BUS to another (there’s more than one). You can’t not have anything there as the car simply won’t work – ie nothing will work not even the engine.

If your just planning on swapping the speedo and rev counter, it's not the wiring that's the problem, it's the software. You can plug in all the bits and pieces you want but you'll find that they won't work without the correct programming. You have to synchronise the IKE (ie the speedo, chrono pack, nav or rev counter module) with the other sub systems – ECU BCU. The total kilometres travelled, VIN number etc are stored in more than one of the onboard systems. You can’t just add one system with one VIN number to the others that have a different VIN number – it won’t work (for good reason).

Essentially what you have to do is try to convince a BMW dealer to reprogram your car to a different country code. You'll need to be on very good terms with them as effectively changing the code means that the car may no longer comply with Australian Design Rules and is therefore possibly not road worthy in the eyes of your relevant state road authority. It's all grey and murky – and definitely not a case of plugging bits and pieces in willy-nilly – the engineers have given this a lot of thought ;)

Having said that, it's not impossible to swap speedo and rev counters around. I know of two people that have done it – but technically their cars are not roadworthy as they have used UK sourced speedos which, while displaying kilometres along with miles, show the kilometre readings smaller than the mile readings – which is supposedly not allowed here.

If your going to swap the speedo and rev counters, try to source them from somewhere like New Zealand or possibly Canada as at least the kilometre part will be right.

#11 ·
Having said that, it's not impossible to swap speedo and rev counters around. I know of two people that have done it – but technically their cars are not roadworthy as they have used UK sourced speedos which, while displaying kilometres along with miles, show the kilometre readings smaller than the mile readings – which is supposedly not allowed here.
As Andrew has said it is not a easy plug and play and then there is the legal side of it as well. For the comment on the 2 mini have have this mod done and the car not being roadworthy:p :D

Also forget about BMW help, as it has gone to BMW Germany and there answer is no, and even if the local boys want to help the answer to the questions is stored/generated by BMW Germany

confirmed:

RealOEM.COM * BMW R53 Cooper S INSIDE MIRROR MANUALLY DIPPABLE

315 & 433MHz is the frequencies the key uses.
I believe we use 315MHz..... as 433MHz is a $_hit of a freq to use. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.