New perspective buyer with questions - MINI Cooper Forum
Go Back   MINI Cooper Forum > Community Discussion > Global Community > Australia


Australia For Australian social and region specific discussion

Mini2.com is the premier Mini Cooper Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 08:07 AM
MINI2 Newbie
Offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6
Local Time: 09:26 PM
Australia
Australia New perspective buyer with questions

Hi all,

My names Mathew Anasta and as the title suggests I'm a perspective buyer.
17 turning 18 in a couple months i've been on the hunt for my first car for a while now and I keep coming back to the Mini. The car in mind is a 2010 MINI CABRIO R57 MY10 COOPER S CHILLI .
I've looked at the competition from VW and Renault but the BMW build quality is a big factor in my decision, as well as the renowned handling. Im not looking for "big"power that the John Cooper Works delivers but it MUST have a mini equivalent to sport suspension ( as BMW has the M suspension ).

Im just after some advise and recommendations from you experts and enthusiasts as to what I should look out for.
Any options that are ' Must Haves' and any problems others have experienced.

Look forward to being a mini owner soon
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 06:00 PM
MINI2 Newbie
Offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 18
Local Time: 09:56 PM
Australia
didnt think u could drive a cooper s as it is supercharged and needs an open licence,
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 08:04 PM
rellik666's Avatar
clubMINI Master
Offline
Send a message via MSN to rellik666 Send a message via Skype™ to rellik666
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 992
Local Time: 10:56 PM
Australia Female View rellik666's Pepper White & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Convertible Profile
Lovely Car! But as I am assuming you would be on P's and you don't mention a state you could be restricted in your car type....

Where are you and what is your driving situation....

Super/Turbo Chargers make the MINI difficult for P's.


Australia - The party is coming - check it out now
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 08:58 PM
MINI2 Newbie
Offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6
Local Time: 09:26 PM
Australia
Yeah i'm in Victoria, I had that conversation with my dad a few nights ago. At the chance of sounding silly I'm probably still going to take the risk and just drop the 'S' badges.
We test drove one last week and it was just a dream to drive
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Feb 15th, 2013, 08:18 AM
MINI2 Newbie
Offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 18
Local Time: 09:56 PM
Australia
Quote: Originally Posted by Mathew e92 (original)
Yeah i'm in Victoria, I had that conversation with my dad a few nights ago. At the chance of sounding silly I'm probably still going to take the risk and just drop the 'S' badges.
We test drove one last week and it was just a dream to drive

cops aint that stupid, get stoped and they wont even let you drive it home,
and dont waste your money on insurance either, cos they wont pay up as you are not licence to drive it,
here in qld you can get a p plate exemption on the supercharged s not sure about the turbo s,
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 10:26 PM
MINI2 Newbie
Offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6
Local Time: 09:26 PM
Australia
Quote: Originally Posted by mav899 (original)
cops aint that stupid, get stoped and they wont even let you drive it home,
and dont waste your money on insurance either, cos they wont pay up as you are not licence to drive it,
here in qld you can get a p plate exemption on the supercharged s not sure about the turbo s,

Same here in Vic, I have applied for an application to drive a low performance turbo/ supercharged car. Sent that off last week so should be arriving soon.

I test drove both the cabrio and the hatch this weekend and to be honest i prefer the hatch. The shape of the car looks more proportional when fitted with the JCW rims. Also felt a little more nimble, not huge but enough to notice.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 09:27 AM
MINI2 Newbie
Offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 33
Local Time: 11:56 AM
United Kingdom
Quote: Originally Posted by Mathew e92 (original)
At the chance of sounding silly I'm probably still going to take the risk and just drop the 'S' badges

You'll struggle to drop the twin centre exhausts or the bonnet scoop. Cops stop enough cars to know the differences.

Dunno what the law is like over there, but in the UK you wouldn't be insured if you had an accident.

Also in the UK the insurance company will see it's an 'S' from the registration details and won't sell you insurance on the basis you're not licensed to drive it.

Although a 17 year old here would be legally licensed, I doubt they could get insurance for an 'S', unless it was a specialist sports car insurer and it would costs 1000's of pounds.

Also an 'APNR' (automatic number plate recognition) camera in the cop car reads the number plate and automatically checks the car against the national database putting the details on a screen in the car, so the cops here would know it was an 'S' before they even put the blue lights on to stop you.

I don't know how much technology they use there to catch you out, but you already know it's a silly idea as you said so in your post.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 08:05 PM
MINI2 Newbie
Offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6
Local Time: 09:26 PM
Australia
Quote: Originally Posted by -ralph- (original)
You'll struggle to drop the twin centre exhausts or the bonnet scoop. Cops stop enough cars to know the differences.

Dunno what the law is like over there, but in the UK you wouldn't be insured if you had an accident.

Also in the UK the insurance company will see it's an 'S' from the registration details and won't sell you insurance on the basis you're not licensed to drive it.

Although a 17 year old here would be legally licensed, I doubt they could get insurance for an 'S', unless it was a specialist sports car insurer and it would costs 1000's of pounds.

Also an 'APNR' (automatic number plate recognition) camera in the cop car reads the number plate and automatically checks the car against the national database putting the details on a screen in the car, so the cops here would know it was an 'S' before they even put the blue lights on to stop you.

I don't know how much technology they use there to catch you out, but you already know it's a silly idea as you said so in your post.

Yeah it was a stupid idea I revived the application form from VIcRoads last week some time and they declined it. So instead of settling for a standard cooper, I ended up buying a BMW 125i which is P plate legal and in straight line performance would fall between the two coopers
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 10:12 PM
MINI2 Newbie
Offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 33
Local Time: 11:56 AM
United Kingdom
Good lad (even if you didn't buy a Mini)

So what's the law over there with the P plates then? Sounds like something that would be sensible in the UK, though to be fair the insurance already restricts what young people can drive by being so damn expensive.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Mar 6th, 2013, 10:24 PM
MINI2 Newbie
Offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6
Local Time: 09:26 PM
Australia
Quote: Originally Posted by -ralph- (original)
Good lad (even if you didn't buy a Mini)

So what's the law over there with the P plates then? Sounds like something that would be sensible in the UK, though to be fair the insurance already restricts what young people can drive by being so damn expensive.

The P plate laws here in Australia are crap. Basicly its as follows;
-No turbo or supercharged cars.
-No v8's or above.
-Can't be more then a certian power to weight ratio.
-Only 1 passenger at a time.
-No towing trailers

You can apply for an aplication to drive the following things like a small turbo car or driving a trailer.

and their thinking of bringing in a law when p platers cant drive after 2:00am

And they took $50 off me for the application and then declined it.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 04:10 AM
MINI2 Newbie
Offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 18
Local Time: 09:56 PM
Australia
p plates

when you apply for an exemption you have to prove this is the only car you have access to drive,if you have not brought the car then in there mind you can buy a different one
for example my 17 year old daughter can drive our cooper s as we already owed it, and said it was the only car avalible for her to drive, she also needed it for work and that we did not live on a bus route and it would take 45 mins to walk to a bus stop in the early morning [not a safe thing for a 17 year old girl ]
if we had said we where buying her a cooper s and gave the same reasons qld transport would have said buy her something else and refussed the exemption,
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Mar 7th, 2013, 06:23 AM
MINI2 Newbie
Offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6
Local Time: 09:26 PM
Australia
Quote: Originally Posted by mav899 (original)
when you apply for an exemption you have to prove this is the only car you have access to drive,if you have not brought the car then in there mind you can buy a different one
for example my 17 year old daughter can drive our cooper s as we already owed it, and said it was the only car avalible for her to drive, she also needed it for work and that we did not live on a bus route and it would take 45 mins to walk to a bus stop in the early morning [not a safe thing for a 17 year old girl ]
if we had said we where buying her a cooper s and gave the same reasons qld transport would have said buy her something else and refussed the exemption,

Thats fair enough, I couldn't do that because I didnt already own that car. I wouldn't want to have paid for an S and hoped that they say yes because i already own it. but i do understand what your saying
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 05:19 AM
MINI2 Master
Offline
Send a message via MSN to MickyD
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,576
Local Time: 09:56 PM
Australia View MickyD's British Racing Green & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile
Quote: Originally Posted by Mathew e92 (original)
And they took $50 off me for the application and then declined it.

buys a 125i at 17, then complains about a $50 charge.

Perspective is the right word....
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

» Recent Threads
What Sat nav cd do I need?
Today 11:47 AM
Last post by uk_ricky_uk
Today 11:55 AM
1 Replies, 10 Views
Paint warrenty
Today 10:16 AM
by Peter85
Last post by The Nun
Today 11:52 AM
1 Replies, 39 Views
Drivers door actuator, fitment?
Oct 6th, 2014 05:13 PM
Last post by uk_ricky_uk
Today 11:49 AM
2 Replies, 410 Views
Misfiring R55 JCW engine in 6th gear between 2k-3k RPM with throttle wide open
Oct 21st, 2014 10:30 AM
Last post by Mr Muffin
Today 11:00 AM
8 Replies, 737 Views
R56 Aux and Usb
Today 10:41 AM
by Redevo
Last post by Redevo
Today 10:41 AM
0 Replies, 27 Views
Sprintbooster for MINI Cooper R56
May 14th, 2009 04:29 PM
Last post by Gacek191
Today 07:41 AM
9 Replies, 3,449 Views
I need a tool to flash a JCW map to my 04 MCS ECU
Yesterday 09:42 PM
Last post by djtmalta
Yesterday 10:36 PM
2 Replies, 214 Views
LED Daytime running lights - retro fit
Apr 15th, 2014 06:08 PM
Last post by french01
Yesterday 09:17 PM
6 Replies, 1,416 Views
Electric window stopped working
Jul 6th, 2006 03:48 PM
Last post by regarp
Yesterday 06:22 PM
34 Replies, 65,949 Views
Bonnet touching body
Aug 15th, 2014 03:47 PM
Last post by The Nun
Yesterday 03:58 PM
3 Replies, 459 Views
Facebook page selling mini parts around the uk
Yesterday 11:50 AM
by Alex93x
Last post by Restyle
Yesterday 03:25 PM
2 Replies, 158 Views
New Mini Cooper D - Worth the money?
Yesterday 01:33 PM
Last post by dangoodwin
Yesterday 01:33 PM
0 Replies, 135 Views
Mini Clubman Barn Doors Won't Lock
Oct 22nd, 2014 03:51 AM
Last post by WeeBad
Yesterday 01:03 PM
3 Replies, 435 Views
R56 Footwell module dead
Jul 15th, 2014 04:19 AM
by miniuy
Last post by k3fus
Yesterday 07:16 AM
6 Replies, 1,294 Views
inside lights
Oct 23rd, 2014 11:19 PM
Last post by bigmamabear
Oct 23rd, 2014 11:19 PM
0 Replies, 188 Views
Lights on warning not working
Oct 21st, 2014 11:42 AM
by S2dicky
Last post by S2dicky
Oct 23rd, 2014 09:16 PM
4 Replies, 490 Views
Smoked Headlight Covers GTO276S
Oct 23rd, 2014 08:49 PM
by tmath23
Last post by tmath23
Oct 23rd, 2014 08:49 PM
0 Replies, 189 Views
engine fan on more frequently
Oct 16th, 2014 01:46 PM
Last post by stewarth
Oct 23rd, 2014 07:27 PM
3 Replies, 669 Views
Cooper S judders when idle...
Jul 17th, 2010 04:53 PM
by ben_uk
Last post by Restyle
Oct 23rd, 2014 06:18 PM
6 Replies, 1,131 Views
R56 Aux input volume???????
Oct 20th, 2014 04:00 PM
Last post by Dermottdog
Oct 23rd, 2014 06:00 PM
4 Replies, 581 Views
» Premium
» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.1

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:56 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2