MINI Cooper Forum banner

Where to get a spare key for R50/R52 in Sydney/OZ?

15K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  RosscoR52 
#1 ·
I've recently purchased a used 1st Gen convertible(very happy with my new go-cart to drive to work!), and sadly the dealer only have 1 primary key, no spares, not even a backup key which cannot start the engine!
I've called up the Mini Garage in Parramatta and they asked for $400+ to get a key mailed from Germany……Seems too much an investment.
I also located this on ebay, can't post URLs yet, just search: Brand NEW Virgin BMW Mini Cooper Keyless Remote KEY Head FOB S R50 R53 433 MHZ

It does prove that people CAN get the key cut (to open the doors) & programmed (to start the engine and use the remote) by a third party, but too bad that the seller is not responding to my inquiry, and the key came in 433mHz & 315mHz, don't know which will suit my mini.
I also called up several local locksmiths, although they all offered to cut the key, but none of them is confident enough to program BMW keys.

Anyone who have any experience in getting a key in Oz? It'll be troublesome if I lost my only key without a spare.

#2 ·
The tricky part is getting the chip on the key programmed to your car, as far as I know only BMW can do this or you would need something like NCS Expert

I had a look on ebay and the listing is misleading, locksmiths cannot program Mini keys, that key will only be good if you have an exisiting key which you want to replace the broken / worn out shell.

If you have a remote key have a look at the back (take a photo and zoom in) this will have the frequency. Also I believe if you want one of those you are looking closer to $800 from the dealer.

#3 ·
Thanks mate! Now I can confirm the frequency of my key. The tip of taking photo and zooming in actually is the most important step! The characters are too worn out but taking a photo does do the trick. Feeling like a CSI.

Some other info I want to share:
The engine immobilizer chip CAN be coded (probably it's ROM, then it can be coded only once), using a device to read unused chip ID slots thru OBDII port:
sites.google.com/site/miniandlandroverremotekeys/how-the-keys-and-remotes-work/the-immobilizer
The site above also tell you how to pair the remotes to your car.

About ebay spare keys: The ones which asking for 10-30 are just head cases with no chip in it; The ones asking for $75 have remote control circuit in it, but the listing did not say whether they have the engine immobiliser chips.

#16 ·
Just reading this, did you
I've recently purchased a used 1st Gen convertible(very happy with my new go-cart to drive to work!), and sadly the dealer only have 1 primary key, no spares, not even a backup key which cannot start the engine!
I've called up the Mini Garage in Parramatta and they asked for $400+ to get a key mailed from Germany……Seems too much an investment.
I also located this on ebay, can't post URLs yet, just search: Brand NEW Virgin BMW Mini Cooper Keyless Remote KEY Head FOB S R50 R53 433 MHZ

It does prove that people CAN get the key cut (to open the doors) & programmed (to start the engine and use the remote) by a third party, but too bad that the seller is not responding to my inquiry, and the key came in 433mHz & 315mHz, don't know which will suit my mini.
I also called up several local locksmiths, although they all offered to cut the key, but none of them is confident enough to program BMW keys.

Anyone who have any experience in getting a key in Oz? It'll be troublesome if I lost my only key without a spare.
Just reading this, you can remove the front interior reading light from the roof lining and see the frequency written on the receiver, (y)

#4 ·
I pretty sure with the chip it can only be programmed once, ie you can't reprogram the chip on a used key.

I was lucky with mine as I had all the keys and I wanted to make a second remote key as the aftermarket alarm can only be turned off with the remote key. I bought an used remote key and did a cut and paste job with my existing key & chip.

#6 ·
I am in a similar boat..
I got my mini with 1 working remote ( lost that on the 2nd day)
and one key that's programmed to the car, but button broken. (getting a replacement button that I will solder in.)
But heres a weird thing.. I upgraded the rear speakers. removed the passenger side panel, and there is a Virgin key and ign barrel. Sealed in a plastic bag with factory barcodes..... ( no it doesn't start the car, nor does it open the car)

SO I bought a blank key, got it cut, put the transponder from the non remote key. Hoping I can get the remote circuit programmed ( from the one I found in the plastic bag as I presume its never been programmed)

#8 ·
Update! I've got my key ordered from peak rpm.
The non-remote key cost me about $280. They kept telling me that I need to pay them for an hour of labor to get the key coded to the car but I knew I do not need that.
2 weeks later the key got mailed from BMW, it can start my car right out of the package.
I guess the coding is required only when BMW can not find a free slot out of 10 available engine start codes. In most case, mini comes with 3 keys when new, and you get 7 spare keys without need of coding.
If their "coding" meant matching the remote, then it's not worth an hour of labour, you can easily do it yourself, just google it and it will only take a couple of minutes.

#9 ·
I have the same problem with my new 2005 R50. It only came with one key. I found the blanks on ebay and they suggest that they are fully functional for the transponder and the remote, but neither of the two sellers have responded to confirm this so far.

I'm following up with automotive locksmiths in Sydney to see what they can do with either a full remote or remoteless options. I asked various BMW dealers just for fun too....but they were too much fun for me. :)

#11 ·
Problem solved. I bought a remote key on ebay from autokeywksp for $70. I cloned the remote myself from the instructions from here. I had the key cut and transponder programmed by sydneycarlocksmith.com.au for $250. It works perfectly.

That's more than half the price quoted by BMW for a remote key replacement and still $100 less than another locksmith quoted for a non-remote key.

Hope that's useful to someone.

#13 ·
I wonder how did they program your key? Do you have to bring your car over there (and let them write the engine immobilizer chip)? Or just bring your key over there (and they just duplicated the engine start code)?
An alternative is to follow my way and pay $280 to buy a factory non-remote key, then buy a $70 remote key, dis-assemble both and put the pre-cut factory key blade & working transponder into the remote key shell, then learn the remote. Costs $30 more but it will work when you have no key to start your car.