MINI Cooper Forum banner

New Mini Owner

3K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  Caxack 
#1 ·
I have just got my first mini, its...well the compliance plate says its a R50, Feb 2006, Park Lane, Cooper S however it you use the BMW site and type in the vin you get it idenified as an R53 (? not really sure however it does take R53 bits) with 130K on the clock.

It had a blown engine mount (not picked up by the pre purchase inspection) however that has now been replaced.

Fun car to drive in the first couple of weeks i have had it and after reading a few posts and watching a number of mod mini videos I have decided to add a few go fast bits:

- DDM Cold Air Box induction
- 15% overdrive pulley <-- I will pull the SC out, service the oil, inspect the water pump and thermostat housing.
- M7 Strut tower brace <-- I known not really a go fast bit

A few other things as well but these are the main items at this stage, upgrade the exaust and tune the ECU later

One thing I have noticed is this model has a large tacho in the centre dash and the smaller speedo on the streeing wheel, is this an Aust thing as most of the pictures show it the other way around.

See less See more
#3 ·
Nice work :)

Yeah, in Aus BMW Aus is responsible for complying all the BMW and MINIs that get imported and apparently there's a large batch that all got compliance as "R50". The true R50's are the non-supercharged Coopers, so if yours has the supercharger, you have a genuine R53 ;)

#4 ·
My second go fast bit arrived and is now fitted...the DDM Cold Air Box and you can really hear the SC running :)

However...the car had been sitting for a couple of days with a drip tray under it and when we took the car for a test drive, there was a bit of coolant in the tray and a bit of green around the weap hole of the pump, under the car is coolant... so it has a leak somewhere, not alot of water is disappearing from the header tank so more investigation needed.

When the overdrive pully arrives I will remove the SC, service it and change the water pump on spec...inspect everything else while I have the car appart.

Attachments

#6 ·
Over the last few days I have had a few more go fast bits arrive so friday night finds me in the garage with the car being taken appart.... Front end service mode, not far enough, I keep removing bits and eventually have the supercharger off (I have watched a few viedos over the last couple of weeks).

Oil change on the supercharger, it had heaps of oil in the rear a brown/black colour and it had red oil in the front. Changed water pump as well, re-assemble everything and add a Craven Speed 15% pully at the same time.:D

Changed the plugs for one range cooler iridium plugs, and i am now running a smaller Serp belt.

Whislit taking everything off there is a heap of oil/sludge around the crank angle sensor, so degrease the area, remove the sensor and reseal. There were a couple more issues that have come to light as well.

- Seized power steering fan, and
- Both front shocks have their casing bent in from the rims/tyres hitting them.
- Weeping oil pan seal.

So i guess the mods/repairs will continue...

#8 ·
Long weekend and finally a bit of time to work on the mini as my thermostat housing had arrived from the UK as well a the Vibratechnics Upper Engine Mount and Alta Tensioner Stop from the States, so after watching the mod mini viedo on how to do this, off i go...

Airbox off, looking at the thermostat housing there is alot of gunk around it with pink coolant stains down the gear box and back of the engine. It needs to be changed... MAF removed, MAF bracket out the way after a bit of persuasion the hoses are off and I have the old housing in my hand. Its not cracked that i can see however the gasket is a mess, after cleaning up the housing surface on the engine, new housing/theromostat & gasket in.

Next is the engine mount and the tensioner stop. At this point the car is back together and back on the ground.

Reconnect the battery, turn the key and....no starter - nothing :puzzled:. I have all the dash lights on as usally however the EML light stays on and some fan/pump starts to run continuously (not the power steering fan as this has almost seized). Hmm I guess it could be water in one of the connectors so airbox off, reset ECU, blow out connectors. I also check around then new engine mount and notice that the 13mm nut on the earthing strap is very loose. Tighen it up put the car back together again.

Reconnect the battery, turn the key and it starts. :D I think the the problem was the loose earth connection as all the connectors looked fine.

Now I am waiting on the power steering fan to turn up, I think that will be it for a while...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.