MINI Cooper Forum banner

New Owner with a Question.

5K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Ludwig 
#1 ·
Hi,
I just gave in to my two thirds-life crisis and bought a 2011 MCS Cabrio, manual with full leather and heated seats. (I bought an MR2 for my mid-life crisis.)

I'm working my way though the owner's manual and I read that, by entering the SET/INFO menu, I can do things like adjust the indicator flick from 1 to 3 flashes, reset the TPMS, and set a variety of functions that are stored for each key. My car has none of this. In the SET/INFO manual I can adjust the auto wipers sensitivity, check for any messages and return HOME (exit the edit menu). That's all.

If these are extras not fitted to my car, then so be it, but the manual doesn't make that clear. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance,
Steve = : ^ )
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Mini

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi,
I just gave in to my two thirds-life crisis and bought a 2011 MCS Cabrio, manual with full leather and heated seats. (I bought an MR2 for my mid-life crisis.)

I'm working my way though the owner's manual and I read that, by entering the SET/INFO menu, I can do things like adjust the indicator flick from 1 to 3 flashes, reset the TPMS, and set a variety of functions that are stored for each key. My car has none of this. In the SET/INFO manual I can adjust the auto wipers sensitivity, check for any messages and return HOME (exit the edit menu). That's all.

If these are extras not fitted to my car, then so be it, but the manual doesn't make that clear. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance,
View attachment 181177
You need to be stationary to enter some of the menus. Also, from memory you need to do a combination of pressing the button on the end of the stalk as well as moving the toggle switch up and down. It is not overly intuitive

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. It turns out that the missing ingredient was that the engine needs to be running to access some of these functions. I don't get the logic in being able to adjust the wipers with just the ignition on, but having to start the engine to adjust the indicators or how the vehicle responds when locked, but that's the way it is.

Thanks again,

#4 ·
There's also two ways to activate the button --- a quick push / release to scroll thru the menu, then a push-and-hold to enter a feature. I still get confused when using this button, but it sure saves a trip to the dealer after I do some of my own repairs / maintenance --- resetting the service indicators, etc.

I haven't tried moving the toggle switch up and down yet. Gotta look into that. Maybe the USA version works differently?

#5 ·
Steve, thanks for bringing this up.
And thanks to the others for shedding light onto the topic.

I'm relieved.
There may be hope for me yet.

I have been sick of reading ".... .. equipment which might not be available in a vehicle .... .. "
In the Owner's Handbook. At the beginning to every section e.g. Controls.

As soon as I can, I'll go and try to change some of the settings that I thought I hadn't got.
When the engine is running!

Ludwig
Countryman Cooper MY2011

#8 ·
hello all who read this, I've just bought a used mini cooper clubman 1.6 petrol and my wife and i love to bits.

however, for my own piece of mind i would like bluetooth. Is there a way of activating it in our mini as there is a button for bluetooth but this button does nothing and there is no way of activating it through settings.
there is no "TEL" setting on the menu options.

Starting to think that the software is either not there for bluetooth or its stopped working due to phone updates?

Any help on either of these would be fantastic

#9 ·
SteveB00, got it!

Well, at least the "adjust the indicator flick from 1 to 3 flashes".

Not as easy as the Owner's Handbook makes out though.

page 54, para 6 says "Press the button repeatedly until the indicated symbol, arrow, appears. "

But that "indicated symbol, arrow" is not within that initial 'key/tick' settings group.

I had to go on to the Next setting i.e. >>NEXT

That's, where I found the indicator icon 1X and 3X

Oh boy!

I hope that makes sense.

Anyway, I've set it to Triple Turn Signal.

Thanks to your help, I'm happy :) ::smile::

Ludwig
BTW are you sure we need to have the engine running?
I'm sure I did this change just with the ignition ON, but without starting the engine?

#10 ·
BTW are you sure we need to have the engine running?
I'm sure I did this change just with the ignition ON, but without starting the engine?
I'm assuming that when I insert the key into the dashboard and things light up, that the ignition is on. In this state I can adjust the windscreen wipers' rain sensitivity, but nothing else. If I start the engine, I can access the rest of the parameters mentioned above.

Am I missing something? Is there a state between inserting the key into the dashboard and starting the engine?

#11 ·
" Is there a state between inserting the key into the dashboard and starting the engine?"

I think there is.

Don't forget, I'm referring to a MY2011 Countryman Cooper, manual, petrol.

"I'm assuming that when I insert the key into the dashboard and things light up, that the ignition is on."
No.
My understanding is that when you insert the key into the ignition lock, two things happen.

First, the radio is readied and other electrical consumers can operate (sorry, I'm using the German 'english' from the Handbook!)
Second, the steering wheel lock disengages.

Page 47, Owner's Handbook.

When you now press the start/stop button, the ignition is switched on.
Do not press the clutch at the same time. That will start the engine.

Does that make sense?
If so, do you agree with that description.
Does it work in your car?

"If I start the engine, I can access the rest of the parameters mentioned above."

I'll try that again.
To see if I can find other adjustable parameters, with the engine running.

Up until now, I didn't think I had adjustable rain sensor activity.
After what you said in your last post "...In this state I can adjust the windscreen wipers' rain sensitivity,... ," I'm not so sure. I might have it :)

I'm learning all the time here. Ha-ha

Ludwig

#13 ·
<I'd missed that I hadn't, in fact, turned the ignition on.>

Yes, I think that's it.

<.... ..except, perhaps, for the fact that I can adjust the wipers' rain sensitivity without turning the ignition on, just by inserting the key.>

That's odd isn't it?
I don't know why that should be so.
I'm going to have to the think about that and do a few more experiments!

Ludwig,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.