MINI Cooper Forum banner

Mini Dud

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Arsoy 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Well I was super excited on Saturday evening as I just bought a second hand mini cooper s cabrio, 2006 auto. Until about 5 mins down the road and it dropped its coolant and engine light came on. Unfortunately it was a private sale so nothing we can do. NRMA had it towed to a mechanic and we have been quoted $7000 to have the motor fixed.

So I ask all you mini owners if you have any advice.

We are very disappointed in the car and with ourselves :-( We are in Newcastle NSW. Car is currently in Sydney at the mechanics until we can get it brought home.

Cheers
Sarah:crying:

#3 ·
As k3fus said, depends on the cause of the leak and how long you were running the engine without coolant. The motor can be rebuilt and would cost a lot less if you could DIY. Modmini on YouTube blew a valve and piston and did a rebuild from a short block on an R53 S so its your option if you can afford it. Otherwise, part the car out and recover some cash and buy another one. A good place in NSW for parts (New OEM) is https://www.masterparts.com.au/ but I wouldn't know of any reputable local salvage. You could try Home - Minis Plus in Melbourne for parts or salvage engines and get an idea of costs.

Best of luck

#4 ·
Thanks for that info :)

I'm starting to feel a little more confident that my partner can do it himself and he has been watching the Mod Mini clips on youtube already and sourcing the gasket kit on ebay. It was just such a shock that it happened at all. Will also check out the masterparts website as well. Since I won't be driving it for a while at least i'll have time to give it a good detail while it sits in the garage.

Cheers

#6 ·
Update: Mini has undergone some surgery. Head came off and sent to get cleaned up and checked for warping. Come home with a clean bill of health. New gasket kit installed. Also found that the harmonic balancer was stuffed so a new one of those has gone in too. New thermostat and housing and a few other bits and bobs and she is nearly at the finish line. Mr is just sorting out a bit of engine noise as I type this. Super excited that I might get to drive my Mini soon with the top down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.