MINI Cooper Forum banner

How long is Remote Key battery life, please?

19K views 44 replies 25 participants last post by  AB Mini 
#1 ·
Just wondered, as I would rather change it before it dies! :rolleyes:

DK ;)

#3 ·
Guess it will depend on usage.....

If your MINI is a daily driver and you use the remote to lock and unlock, like I do, the batteries will probably last between 15-20 months. Expecting it to last more than that would be a bit optimistic.

From personal experience, the remote of our 2001 C320 lasted about 14 months before I had the battery replaced. :p

#6 ·
I think it is lifetime, since you can't change it. It is charged by the EWS antenna ring whenever you have the key in the ignition and the car is on. This same type of key has been used on BMW's since '99 and I've never replaced a battery (since you can't) and I've never had anyone complain about it.

#7 ·
Mini Tech said:
I think it is lifetime, since you can't change it. It is charged by the EWS antenna ring whenever you have the key in the ignition and the car is on. This same type of key has been used on BMW's since '99 and I've never replaced a battery (since you can't) and I've never had anyone complain about it.
That BMW characteristic doesn't seem to be true of MINI batteries. Here's the section from the owner's manual that tells how to change the MINI's key battery:

Attachments

#9 ·
UTMINI said:
I was told by the dealer that the key's battery is being charged while it is in the ignition. That is why batteries should never be replaced.
Assuming the MINI Owner's Manual is correct (as I posted above), it seems MINI dealers are making bad assumptions that MINI and BWM keys work the same way and misleading customers.

#10 ·
I don't know the answer as to whether MINI key batteries recharge or not, but instructions on how to replace the battery don't necessarily mean they don't. The owner's manual may merely be acknowledging the possibility of a battery dying because it has a fault or isn't recharging properly.

#12 ·
Besides, correct me if I'm wrong here, but even rechargeable batteries don't last forever, and recharging a battery when it's not completely drained will actually shorten its lifespan. So even if it does get recharged by being inserted, it would still have a finite life and eventually need to be changed, no? On the other hand, this is the first time I've ever really of a "remotely recharged" batter, so my knowledge on battery technology may be woefully icorrect/outdated.

PigLick

#14 ·
BruceK said:
That BMW characteristic doesn't seem to be true of MINI batteries. Here's the section from the owner's manual that tells how to change the MINI's key battery:
I can't remember seeing that picture in my version of the owner's manual! :confused:

I remember reading the bit about taking the remote key to the service department for replacement battery when it dies :confused:

Back to the manual later just to be certain :rolleyes:

Thanks BruceK for posting the pic! :D

DK ;)

#17 ·
Just as a note - when visiting my Mum's a few times recently my remote key has completely stopped working unless I'm standing right next to the car.

They key/car is not at fault because elsewhere I can close the doors from quite a distance away!

I'm presuming there is some sort of strong electronic field at my Mum's house, but there is no explanation!

#21 ·
lightbody said:
Just as a note - when visiting my Mum's a few times recently my remote key has completely stopped working unless I'm standing right next to the car.

They key/car is not at fault because elsewhere I can close the doors from quite a distance away!

I'm presuming there is some sort of strong electronic field at my Mum's house, but there is no explanation!
I get the same effect when I'm parked near a ship that is testing its radars. I assumed active radar jams the remote's frequency.

#22 ·
AprilWhine said:

I get the same effect when I'm parked near a ship that is testing its radars. I assumed active radar jams the remote's frequency.
There's a story of a computer (Netware server) in Southampton that would crash twice a day for a few weeks then it was ok again. Apparently it was when a particular ship was in harbour, when the tide reached the right height, the radar would knock the poor lil computer loopy for a while.

#23 ·
Re: hi

here2help said:
The key contains a single 3 volt battery that requires replacing after approximately 2 years...
Yes this is true; the lithium cell used in MINI's remote key isn't rechargeable, and there's no fancy technology in MINI that will recharge your key's battery.

The key contains two chips: the radio control door unlocking thing is run by the battery; the immobiliser transponder in the key doesn't use the battery (this is powered for the short time it's checked upon engine start by electric coils in the ignition key hole).

If your magic key's battery is running low, you'll notice its range is reduced when un/locking doors, but even if the battery dies on you, you can still use the good old put-the-key-in-the-door method to unlock MINI, and you will still be able to start MINI and drive away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.