MINI Cooper Forum banner

How much do you pay in insurance?

89K views 172 replies 101 participants last post by  Jackdaniel 
#1 ·
Hoping to get a 2005 Cooper S next month,around 8k. I still currently live abroad and not in the uk for a few weeks so unable to ring around. Im 37 and havent had car insurance for 4 years so I dont think my no claims bonus stands anymore. I have tried to use Go compare but the cheapest on that is over £2,000 per year fully comp. I heard that certain companies that dont advertise on these sites are generally cheaper.

Any advice on insurance companies or how much you pay roughly in insurance per year.
Another thing I heard is that for every increased insurance group number you add £30 per number until group 15 which is what the S is. I used to own a Mini One in Spain and pay £400 which I think is a group 5.

Surely a realistic figure of £700 is what I want to be looking at for insurance otherwise I may need to buy the One or the Cooper.

Thoughts?

#3 ·
I paid £707 with Admiral and I'm 26 (with only 2 years NCB). I know what you're on about though, I went back to uni at 22, got rid of my car and lost the NCB I'd built up since I was 19.

£2,000 sounds a little much though...try confused.com, I got cheaper prices from them than gocompare, and that gocompare bloke irritates the hell out of me!

Good luck searching : )

#4 ·
Hi, I think £2000 is way too steep. I have had a motability car for the past 3 years but decided this time to go back to buying my own car. I went with MINI insurace as they gave me a great deal. They have honoured my 3yrs NCB with motability and if I stay claim free for a year they will bump it up 7yrs automatically. I have a 2007 Cooper and I pay £245 fully comp. I'm 38 years old.

#6 ·
Glad I don't live in the UK... Here in Australia, I pay $1300 a year, fully comprehensive, and I'm only 20 on an unmodified (but highly specced) Cooper S! And i'm still a rating 3! That works out to what? 600 pounds-ish
Feel sorry for ya!

#8 ·
How on earth do you get cheap car insurance? :( Companies are qouting 4k and 5k for 2007 mini cooper worth 8.8k. I know i am only 23 years old with 1 year driving license and 1 year named driver no claim bonus. But 5-6k is way too much for a car thats worth 9k. Does it get cheaper after a few years or should i move to a different country? lol

#9 ·
Iv just bought myself a cooper s 04 plate for £8k. im 20 have no claims or points, but no no claims bonus as i have been a named driver for 3 years. i added my Mum and Grandad as named drivers which brought it down??
im with admiral and i pay £1250 a year. but everyone els i tried were quoting me £2500 or more so shop around.

#12 ·
I think that sounds far too much!! I'm 23 with 3 years NCB insured for business use and doing approx 13,000 miles/year and paid annual premium of £593.72. Shop around some more as there are plenty more websites you can compare prices. I use confused.com as they seem to cover most companies and have always offered me the best prices.

#13 ·
well older than you lot ! Can get 07 Cooper S Insurance from £230 with Direct Line ( not even going to mention Saga , who give me cup of tea if I break down ) with 9 points on licence but pay £400 on Admiral Multi Car so I can get my sons' Corsa insured ( he's 18 ) for £1200 instead of £2500 if he insured it himself !

#17 ·
My first year of Mini ownership gave me free insurance, that being said I now need to fork out 1000ZAR excess for a replacement windscreen.

When I start paying for insurance next year, it will be about 830ZAR per month, which is quite high for down here. I'll probably move away from BMW insurance and go back to my old insurance company next year.

#27 ·
HOLY SH** @RikkiWhitehead

This must be a joke seriously? £6200? How much did your car cost? I wouldn't pay that much to insure a Ferrari!!

Never would I pay over £1000 for insurance, I know times have changed since I was 18 but they can't have changed that much!

I have 3 years NCB (had company car before so lost NCB from years back) driving for 11 years, no points, fully comp, business miles up to 10k for £680 per annum on an R56 06 Cooper S no mods. < I believe this to be too expensive but I know Insurance is a rip off these days (this is with Admiral)

#28 ·
No Joke what so ever :( - it turns out the company offering 6200 over comparethemarket - cant insure me. i ruing them up to see if i could sweet talk them into knocking some off to the response, actually we are unable to insure you.

So now i am going for the next cheapest at 6700. This is with 0 NCM - had license since 19th december. I guess thats what i ahve to pay to get myself on the road with a mini. Thats now the cheapest option, so i have saved that for 30 days, i will have the car within 30 days. Its bloody nice the the mini im getting :) i can't wait!

After i have a 1Year NCM it should hopefully be around 3500/4000. its insurnace group 4 or something daft, it should be cheap to insure.

Realistically young drivers now have to wait to about 21 to get insurance in the UK. Its ridiculous.

EDIT : car is 4800. 04 plate 21k miles. One old lady owner.

Regards,
Rikki

#31 ·
How has he managed that at 17 years old? ask him which insurance company he is using please! Adrian Flux have quoted 4.4k - so im probably going to take that, ill give them a call tomorrow! I would need more than 3k driving limit thought, probably around 20-25k. I travel to scotland from yorkshire quite frequently.

Regards,
Rikki

#32 ·
How has he managed that at 17 years old? ask him which insurance company he is using please! Adrian Flux have quoted 4.4k - so im probably going to take that, ill give them a call tomorrow! I would need more than 3k driving limit thought, probably around 20-25k. I travel to scotland from yorkshire quite frequently.
I'm pretty sure it's either Endsleigh or CIS Insurance ("Now The Co-operative Insurance") - I will double check next time I see him. I don't think he's on very limited mileage either - just something sensible like 10k, but probably less than you're looking at declaring. If you're getting quotes based on 25k/year, that's probably got something to do with the silly prices!

What postcode area are you in... I see you're from West Yorkshire? My mate moved from a BB postcode to a BD postcode (specifically Bradford) a couple of years and his insurance nearly tripled as a result!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.