Mini One Insurance for 19 Yr Old - MINI Cooper Forum
Go Back   MINI Cooper Forum > All Models & Variants > Finance & Insurance

Finance & Insurance Use this forum to discuss financing and insuring your MINI

Mini2.com is the premier Mini Cooper Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 09:24 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 01:28 PM
United Kingdom
Mini One Insurance for 19 Yr Old

Hi guys, my first post on here! Needed a bit of help.. I'm learning to drive at the moment and was looking to potentially get a Mini One as my first car. The only problem is the insurance quotes im getting! They're starting at around 3000 at the moment

should I be looking at something in specific to lower this quote? Either with the car features or the way i'm filling out forms i.e would it be cheaper to have additional drivers on there?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 09:43 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male
If possible have a parent on the policy as a named driver, this often helps. Wait until you have passed your test before getting quotes. Then try getting a wide range of quotes on Confused.com then follow up the best by phoning as there are often cheaper more accurate quotes and discounts by speaking to them directly. My son's cheapest quote on a Mini One at a similar age was from Elephant insurance but taking their maximum excess offered in the event of a claim to help lower the premium further. He had also gained a year or two's experience on an 'old' 1.25 Ford Fiesta first.
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 09:44 PM
MINI2 Premium Member
Super Moderator

United Kingdom Male View minicore's Chili Red & Body Color 2nd Gen MINI John Cooper Works Profile
Them's the breaks I'm afraid! Putting additional drivers on the policy will help, but you definitely want the policy in your name (rather than being an additional driver on another policy) as you'll benefit from the no claims bonus in the long run.

I know this pertains to an S, but I've put my 2p worth in, as have other people, so you might find some good tips: Cooper S Insurance 19 Years Old

There's a bunch of discussion and example prices here too: How much do you pay in insurance?

Your annual mileage will make a difference, as will your postcode, occupation etc. but at the end of the day, you'll pay a premium for driving a MINI. A 1.0-litre Corsa or similar would cost less to insure (that isn't to say it would be cheap, but it would almost certainly be less), but if you've got your heart set on a MINI, you'll have to stump up some extra for insurance I'm afraid.

Which companies have you tried? Admiral and Bell seem to be fairly competitive on the whole, as do Co-Op and Endsleigh, so definitely try those 4 if you haven't already. I've heard good things about LV for young drivers too. Also, don't rely solely on comparison websites - you'll usually get a better, more tailored quote if you contact an insurer directly. Might be worth doing Pass Plus too - ask a few insurance companies how that would affect your premium.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 07:08 AM
MINI2 Premium Member
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male
Part of the price quotes youve had might be the risk bit in where you say "learning to drive still" did you mention you had not yet passed your test when getting a quote?? Will you be learning in it as well?
Or was it just a general quote how much for a 19 year old with no no claims?
It will be expensive, my nephew had to pay around that when he was 19 for a car worth half that, a Saxo 1.1
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 11:30 AM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male
My son had the same problem a couple of years ago. He passed his test and then took the pass plus test. This lowered his quote a lot. We shopped around and finally settled with Aviva. They do what they call a 'Rapid' policy. It is a 9 month deal but you get 12 months no claims bonus if you renew with them. It was the only way to get a sensible price.
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:36 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Thanks for all the replies everyone

I've been filling out the forms as though i've already passed (just to prepare in advance as I'll be getting it after I have my license - wont be learning to drive in it)

The thing is people on other threads have said they've received quotes under 1500 but im not getting anything like that at the moment even though im entering as having done pass plus and that the car would be kept in a garage overnight.

Is it worth just ringing loads of providers up to get a good deal?

Thanks again
Old Sep 4th, 2012, 08:23 AM
MINI2 Senior

United Kingdom Male
Remember, if you insure your car as a learner driver, it will go up when you pass your test as you will be deemed to sbe a greater risk. When you are learning you will always have an experienced driver with you, when you have passed, you are off on your own.

Add a parent or two with good driving history, keep it off the road at night if possible, go for a higher excess, restrict your mileage, some policies restrict driving at night but give cheaper premiums.

Remember -from December 21st the EU Gender Directive kicks in which means that motor insurance cannot be rated on sex. No one is really sure what insurer's will do - lower male rates, increase female rates or do a balancing of the two. If you are a guy I think you will probably benefit so it might be worth considering waiting.
Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 08:24 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Couple of tricks I've picked up from the hundreds of quotes I've had on Confused.com! Most have already been mentioned but this is what worked for me ...(I'm also 19 and pay 1500)

1. Named drivers (a couple of middle aged adults with no recent claims if possible)

2. LOW MILEAGE! Really takes chunks off your quote this one, if you can get away with less than 10,000 then do try to.

3. Say car is parked on the street/road overnight not on a driveway or in a garage. Seems ridiculous this one but it did work for me!

4. I also found that ringing them doesn't help, I always went with Admiral as they were by far cheapest and a quote off Confused.com was always cheaper than a quote direct off them. So if you do ring up, makes sure you have a quote number from confused.com with a decent price to get the bartering started!

Hope you get it all sorted!
Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 05:55 PM
MINI2 Premium Member
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male
If you cant get a job you could always say youve given up and decided to take early retirement, that knocks loads off too.
Old Dec 14th, 2012, 04:31 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
hi,
i have had my cooper s for 6 months now and i am 19 aswell.
i currently pay 2500 per year, i am with flux direct so give them a try.
i dont have any no claims either.
Old Dec 14th, 2012, 06:17 PM
MINI2 Premium Member
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male
Quote: Originally Posted by lukeh652 (original)
hi,
i have had my cooper s for 6 months now and i am 19 aswell.
i currently pay 2500 per year, i am with flux direct so give them a try.
i dont have any no claims either.

Thats really really cheap for a 19 year old on an S with no no claims, nice one.
Old Dec 18th, 2012, 07:09 PM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom View AMAUTOS7's Classified Ads
I have always been insured by Admiral

They have always been the cheapest by a long mile

I had a MINI One at 18 - 2,200

Put your parents on the policy as named drivers

We have a multi car policy with them

Might be worth seeing if you can move your parents insurance as well - might save even more money as a whole
Old Dec 22nd, 2012, 09:49 AM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom Female
I've got a mini one got it when I was 20 just turned 21 my insurance is 1000 a year i have no no claims but have been driving now for 3 years as a named driver its also modified! And I don't have anyone on my policy. Probley cheaper changing your sex girls are much cheaper at the moment than boys!? Im with LV
Old Dec 22nd, 2012, 11:12 AM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom
Quote: Originally Posted by minicore (original)
Them's the breaks I'm afraid! Putting additional drivers on the policy will help, but you definitely want the policy in your name (rather than being an additional driver on another policy) as you'll benefit from the no claims bonus in the long run.

Adding a named driver was mentioned in the post above yours - this is very different from the OP being an 'additional driver' on his own car (which is called 'insurance fronting' and is illegal).
Old Jan 7th, 2013, 11:06 AM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Recent new laws stated that insurance will not be cheaper if you're a woman. I thought it was about time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: , ,