LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 08:05 PM
3rd Time Round

Local Time: 11:58 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom

In all honesty, save your money.

They used to be an insurance requirement on my previous Imprezas - which were a much higher profile target for professional thieves than a MINI (especially ones looking to use it on a job - can't see too many real world bank robbers fitting in a MINI ). Even then, what they saved me in cash on the insurance, they cost me in the monitoring subscription. Ended up changing my insurance company in the end to one that quoted me less and didn't insist on a tracker.

The last one I had (a Tracker Horizon) chewed the battery to the extent that if you left the car for a couple of weeks without driving it, the battery would be flat and the tracker next to useless anyway. Case in point, I was working on a contract in South Africa when I got an alert (because my battery had gone flat in the Heathrow car park). When asked if I knew if the vehicle was secure, I explained that I was 6000 miles away and would be for the next 6 weeks so I asked them if they could verify the cars position for me. I was told that they couldn't because the tracker wasn't responding and they couldn't send someone down to Heathrow to check if it was still there. Was glad I stumped up the 135 a year for that, I can assure you.

The bottom line is, if a thief wants your car, they'll have it whether it has a tracker or not. Especially as most cars are stolen by nicking the keys these days which won't activate the tracker until you find out the car has been nicked and activate it yourself. By which time, they could easily have removed or disabled the tracker - took me about 10 minutes to remove mine after it was no longer an insurance requirement.

As much as we like our MINIs, I really don't think that there's any need to worry yourself unduly that they are top of the car thieves list of cars to steal - if they were, our insurance premiums would be astronimic and they're not - mine is about 1/2 that of an Impreza which tells you something, I think.

However, if it makes you feel better, then fit one but don't kid yourself that your saving money or really making your car that much more secure. Bottom line is that it's really just a means of extracting money... suspicious that UK Insurance Ltd (Direct Line etc) happen to own Tracker and then insist on you having a tracking device fitted on certain cars, don't you think?

Now: 2005 R52 MCS
Plus: BMW X3 3.0d, BMW Z3 2.8, BMW F700GS, Vespa ET4 125
Was: 04 R52 MCS, 06 R53 MCS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 2013, 12:14 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 10:58 PM

Australia

Hi all..!
I think tracking system is best then any thing else.There are many companies which have different pakages but its depends on you which kind of tracker you want .

Think before you speak .
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 2013, 12:23 PM
JCW 250

United Kingdom Male View Keano's Solid Black & Body Color 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile View Keano's Classified Ads

I had the tracker monitor fitted in my old r53. Didn't affect the insurance premium at all. Carried an annual fee of around 100. Overall, wasn't worth it.

I only had mine as I as told it had one fitted when buying the car (although it turned out it hadn't but since it was advertised on cherished as having it, MINI had to fit one FOC) and I thought it would help with insurance while I owned it so saw it as a good thing - insurance costs were quite high at the time - but I actually ended up out of pocket from getting it as the annual cost (I paid for 3 years worth of cover as it was cheaper) was higher than what I saved on the insurance, although that was because my insurance company didn't give a toss it was fitted and the savings from other companies meant it was still cheaper to stick with the one that didn't apply a discount...

If someone steals your car would you actually want it back or would you prefer to have your insurance pay out and buy a brand spanking new version??

Save your money IMO - your insurance will cover your car and it will end up cheaper overall in my experience.

Running 211whp

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2014, 10:52 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom

If you go for a tracker in the UK it is worth looking at VHF/GPS combo as the VHF ones once activated show up on police systems & traffic cars. GPS can fail if the car is stashed away somewhere and the GPS cannot pick up satellites.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.