Finance & Insurance Use this forum to discuss financing and insuring your MINI

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2012, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 10:58 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Tracker

I'm thinking of having a Tracker fitted. not so much for any reduction in insurance but just really for peace of mind. these days an S is a serious investment & I don't really fancy losing it.

Anyone had a Tracker fitted. What thoughts on it? Any other thoughts or suggestions (clean ones please) on alarms etc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2012, 01:44 PM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 11:58 PM
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Yeah they are a good idea
Duno the price of them doe
I will defo get one when I get my r56

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2012, 02:09 PM
MINI2 Privilege Member
MINI2 Master

Quoted: 53 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

I dont think Tracking systems are fit and forget though are they? Dont you have to pay an annual subscription to whoever/whichever tracking company keeps track of where it is too?
But they are a very good idea, doesnt stop in getting broken into, trashed and nicked to start with though, but at least the police might find where its been set on fire quicker.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2012, 02:29 PM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male

Annual service depends on what you get. Some are a little more up front but pay for the life of your vehicle.

They are to a certain degree fit and forget. No maintenance that needs to occur.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2012, 03:27 PM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male

Hahahah
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2012, 04:43 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

CHIPnTRAC GPS tracker was recently featured in Modern MINI magazine (Sep-Oct 2012 page 64) it has a one off cost of 149 and is popular with classic car owners for diy installation.
More details here:
GPS Tracker

GPS Security Tracker: A self-monitoring unit which uses the GPS navigational system to determine its position and then communicates this information using text messaging to up to five authorised mobile phones. You can dial up the unit and it will reply with a text message giving its GPS co-ordinates; or you can set it to inform you if it moves outside a given geographical area. The only costs in addition to the purchase price will be the cost of a SIM card for the tracker and your network's charges for text messages.

When you park your vehicle, just text an instruction to Stockade and if the vehicle moves you will receive a text message on your phone. Thereafter you can check the vehicle's whereabouts by calling the tracker, which will reply by text message with its new co-ordinates. If your vehicle has been stolen, you can inform the police, give them the details and let them do the rest.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2012, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

The problem isn't really the money (well not much anyway) or even the yearly/lifetime subs it's the does it work........I'll have a look at the GPS Tracker although sometimes in remote areas even the GPS has problems.........based on my mountaineering GPS. Mobile phone signal is C**P in most of the areas I frequent!!!.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2012, 06:00 PM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male

My girlfriend has one because the cheper insurance. They monitor her speed and driving at night. Make sure they don't catch you out somewhere like that.
Insurances love to find any lope hole out
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2012, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by James burbidge View Post
My girlfriend has one because the cheper insurance. They monitor her speed and driving at night. Make sure they don't catch you out somewhere like that.
Insurances love to find any lope hole out
They monitor her speed and driving at night......Blimey I definitely DO NOT want one of those. What type is it?
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2012, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mab01uk View Post
CHIPnTRAC GPS tracker was recently featured in Modern MINI magazine (Sep-Oct 2012 page 64) it has a one off cost of 149 and is popular with classic car owners for diy installation.
More details here:

GPS Security Tracker: A self-monitoring unit which uses the GPS navigational system to determine its position and then communicates this information using text messaging to up to five authorised mobile phones. You can dial up the unit and it will reply with a text message giving its GPS co-ordinates; or you can set it to inform you if it moves outside a given geographical area. The only costs in addition to the purchase price will be the cost of a SIM card for the tracker and your network's charges for text messages.

When you park your vehicle, just text an instruction to Stockade and if the vehicle moves you will receive a text message on your phone. Thereafter you can check the vehicle's whereabouts by calling the tracker, which will reply by text message with its new co-ordinates. If your vehicle has been stolen, you can inform the police, give them the details and let them do the rest.
Just checked the site thanks. The problem as far as I can see is the mobile signal. Normally a text will get through even if the voice signal is poor but the last few places I've been the text didn't appear in my wife's inbox until i was on the way back. That might be a problem for me but not the tealeaves !!

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2012, 07:48 PM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male

Insure the box insurance does this.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 02:23 PM
MINI2 Regular

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

United Kingdom

CHIPnTRAC

The CHIPnTRAC gps/mobilephone tracker is now available from 99 if purchased using a Car Club membership discount such as the Mini Cooper Register.

Has anyone fitted one to their MINI yet?

Where is it easiest to connect up a 12volt permenant power supply in a Gen 1 MCS?

Spike
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2013, 10:42 AM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihughes View Post
The CHIPnTRAC gps/mobilephone tracker is now available from 99 if purchased using a Car Club membership discount such as the Mini Cooper Register.

Has anyone fitted one to their MINI yet?

Where is it easiest to connect up a 12volt permenant power supply in a Gen 1 MCS?
got a clifford tracker fitted to my mini all connected to my clifford remote start alarm. i can text the car to start or shut down the engine tells me if its locked or unlocked battery voltage and location anywhere in the world, tracker cost me 200 off ebay and i put 10 of credit on the orange sim card every year well worth it
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 04:28 AM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom

Hey...

Ive got a SKYTAG tracker fitted...the unit only cost me 90 instead of 200+ because I found an online code, however they said, as long as Id of said Ive seen it a certain price online they would of done it at that price!

Subscription is 6.99/m for 24h tracking, going up to 12/m for radius (night time movement mode).

Really easy to install, and to hide out of way...Infact although they shouldn't my local BMW MINI dealer helped me do a even better job!
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 05:06 PM
MINI2 Regular

Quoted: 24 Post(s)

United Kingdom

I've just got a ChipNTrac system and it is working fine under test conditions. You can only use certain SIM cards (in the UK) and the SIM card needs to have certain parameters pre-set (by installing it in mobile phone handset and then checking/changing the settings). Also the SIM needs to be a contract SIM not a Pay as you Go Sim.

You can get a contract SIM for around 10 per month so the annual costs of using a Chip nTrac (or similar GPS/GSM device) will be around 120 per year.

The other disadvantage over (more expensive) tracker devices is that because it has to be able to receive mobile calls AND send text messages as well as pick up the GPS satelites it cannot be buried too far out of sight within the car! So, installing it under the dash or under seats etc may not work too well. It basically needs to have clear line of sight to the front or rear windows. Under the rear parcel shelf seems to work quite well on a MINI but you are not going to make it difficult for any professional car thief to notice it.

However, the fact that they have got to break into the car or move the car on a truck means that they will already have set-off the movement alert and the tracker will have already text you with its alarm and its location!

Spike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.