Insurance + Declaring mods ? - MINI Cooper Forum
Go Back   MINI Cooper Forum > All Models & Variants > Finance & Insurance

Finance & Insurance Use this forum to discuss financing and insuring your MINI

Mini2.com is the premier Mini Cooper Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Jan 12th, 2013, 07:42 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 08:34 AM
United Kingdom
Insurance + Declaring mods ?

Hi all,

Just wondering how much people fork out for their insurance, as mine is still sky high. On a R56 cooper s, with two years no claims age 19, best quote is 1800 with admiral/ elephant! Thats without declaring any mods. Was also wondering where people stand on declaring modification on their car.. I know people who have spent thousands on mods and not declared any of them and also also people who have declared minor things like de-badging etc.. I know everything should be declared, but its tempting not to having already payed 2K!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 12th, 2013, 09:26 PM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male
Quote: Originally Posted by Trickycoopers (original)
Hi all,

I know everything should be declared, but its tempting not to having already payed 2K!

You ABSOLUTELY NEED to declare any mods you have. Insurance companies carry out checks (obvious, yes I know).

If they find something suspicious, your insurance will be void. I have been hit up the arse by an uninsured driver. It wasn't very funny

If you choose to mod, then you also have to accept the insurance costs that go with it.
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 09:34 AM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Quote: Originally Posted by Dermottdog (original)
I have been hit up the arse by an uninsured driver. It wasn't very funny

Sorry to hear, was that uninsured altogether or they had void insurance ? On a side note i have noticed a fairly large general decrease in the recent months as women's insurance has gone up
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 10:45 AM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male
No admittedly, he hadn't modified his car. He was a middle aged black guy who just didn't bother with insurance. The outcome however would have be the same as a null and void policy due to modding. Insurance companies are becoming very cheeky, at least the cheap ones are. A company called Bell (part or the Admiral group) was being awkward when our previous car, a Golf, had been in a non fault claim. They said it had been modified. They were talking about the factory fitted options - winter pack, comfort pack etc.
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 11:19 AM
MINI2 Premium Member
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male
I work for an insurance company, ok not the vehicle side, but we do hear the stories.
Any modification to the car, ie it was not as it originally left the factory, will be considered as something the owners done or is aware of and thus has not declared it.
Even fitting after market black window tint is considered by the industry as a mod and as such in the event of a claim where the car needs to be inspected can result in your policy being declared void or it the very least payout reduced.
You really do need to tell them EVERYTHING to be sure nothing will come back and bite you on the bum should the worst occur.
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 11:22 AM
MINI2 Senior

United Kingdom Male
Nun, you say 'as it originally left the factory' - how does that work with factory fitted options like Chili pack,heated screen, heated seats,media pack, black wheels etc??
Don't the insurers know this from the VIN (do they even know the VIN, thinking about it)
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 11:46 AM
MINI2 Premium Member
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male
Chilli pack etc is ordered as part of the factory build and so classed as factory.
You tell the insurers what options were fitted as it left the factory.
What I mean is the car as it leaves the factory with whatever the factory options were fitted would be classed a unmodified, its things fitted and and done after then you should declare.
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 12:30 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Insurance companies are becoming very cheeky, at least the cheap ones are. A company called Bell (part or the Admiral group) was being awkward when our previous car, a Golf, had been in a non fault claim. They said it had been modified. They were talking about the factory fitted options - winter pack, comfort pack etc.

I was going to go with bell last year after getting a good quote, never realised they fit a tracker. After a 20 min phone call confirming all the detail he asked when would it be convenient to fit the tracker, I was like
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 12:40 PM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom
No admittedly, he hadn't modified his car. He was a middle aged black guy who just didn't bother with insurance. The outcome however would have be the same as a null and void policy due to modding.

Not true.
If someone with insurance and undeclared modifications crashes into you - their insurance will still pay for YOUR car repairs.
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 01:27 PM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male
Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnyC (original)
Not true.
If someone with insurance and undeclared modifications crashes into you - their insurance will still pay for YOUR car repairs.

Ok. I stand corrected. Do you know this as fact or have you personal experience of this?
Old Jan 13th, 2013, 05:23 PM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom
Ok. I stand corrected. Do you know this as fact or have you personal experience of this?

No personal experience, but I read it on the tinterweb so must be true seriously though, it's been mentioned lots over the years on various forums (although granted, doesn't make it absolutely true).

Best I could find was this alcohol related, but still WITH an insurance policy, but has been made VOID...

Are you really insured to drive? | MoneySupermarket
Quote:
One of the easiest ways to compromise your car insurance policy is to drive while you are over the alcohol limit.

For anyone involved in an incident in such circumstances, however, the good news is that most policies will usually only be partially invalidated.

In other words, your insurer will still pay out for any damage caused to other drivers or vehicles, but usually not for any damage suffered by you or your car.

Old Jan 13th, 2013, 09:28 PM
MINI2 Newbie

England
When buying a secondhand vehicle which is a few years old and has had a number of different owners, how is the new owner supposed to know which parts are not original? I'm very new to minis and find that there have been so many variations and options I wouldn't know what to say to a prospective insurer when they ask the question about it being modified!! I would be honest if I had modified it. Then, if I were to be in an accident and the vehicle was inspected they might find mods done by previous owners which could easily void my insurance as they might say I wasn't being honest about modifications.

What's the situation as there must be loads of others like me.
Old Jan 14th, 2013, 08:41 AM
MINI2 Regular

England
My wife's car was hit from behind at very low speed but still damaged the rear bumper. Insurance details were exchanged and all seemed well at first but after many weeks nothing was happening with our insurance company getting payment from the other drivers insurance. Finally we found out that the other drivers insurance had been cancelled back to inception. We believe that he had not declared relevant facts about himself or his car. As a result we were now dealing with an uninsured driver. So be aware.

With regard to buying second hand and not being sure what is standard equipment and what is after market mods, this is down to the driver to know or find out and declare all mods on his insurance. As has already been said, if you have an accident and the specification on your car is found to be other than standard, (or as declared), you risk a rejection of your claim. If the car is a write-off you are unlikely to receive any payment.
Old Jan 14th, 2013, 12:55 PM
MINI2 Newbie

England
Thanks RobbieA.

I can't help thinking there's a lot of mini owners out there who haven't got a clue that their pride and joy has been modded and is therefore not insured.

It's certainly got me thinking.
Old Jan 15th, 2013, 10:36 AM
MINI2 Regular

England
Quote: Originally Posted by phil mcglassup (original)
Thanks RobbieA.

I can't help thinking there's a lot of mini owners out there who haven't got a clue that their pride and joy has been modded and is therefore not insured.

It's certainly got me thinking.

How right you are. It is so easy to overlook or convince yourself that it won't matter but it does. I had an Audi A1 and fitted a TMC tuning box. I declared this to my insurance company as the car was worth 16k and did not want to take the risk. It cost me 200 in additional premium so I can see why people take the chance.

Last edited by RobbieA; Jan 15th, 2013 at 10:39 AM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement