MINI Cooper Forum banner

Insurance for 17 years old new drivers on Cooper

13K views 62 replies 30 participants last post by  harrop 
#1 ·
Any 17 year olds on here that had the Cooper as their first car, if there are, what sort of insurance are you paying for ur MINI?

#4 ·
I'm currently 17 and this is my first car. I have a MINI cooper CVT and the insurance isn't expensive at all. I don't know the exact price, I'll find out for you and post it tommorrow. I don't know where you live, as that may make a difference, but I live in the US.

#7 ·
im 18 now but i had my insurance quote when i was 17 as i had my car on my 18th b/day, it was.....

All fully comp under my own name.

£950 4 the one, with a pass plus

£1250 sumut like that for the cooper, with a pass plus.

£1600 for the cooper s, cant remember if that was with or without a pass plus.

But then again im a bird so i think it will be more for a bloke.

#10 ·
weeman said:
as a first driver, i was quoted £5000:( by elephant but i also hear that BMW's own MINI insurance is very cheap. :confused: anyone have experience with this?
they are very competative for most people

Mini Cruiser said:
yes me, thats who im insured with. Everyone else wanted like, 2.5k for the ONE, i found minis own insurance the cheapest, althought at times they r annoying!
:) MC in what way are they annoying?

#13 ·
whats all this about??

when i was 17, my first car was an old austin metro, which i was damned proud of, cause at least i had my own set of wheels.

maybe im just cynical, but im sure there will come a time when the 'mummys and daddys' kids of the UK have to stand on their own feet, and then there will be a shock.

what can they have to look forward too in later life, if they can afford to be cruising about at 17 in cars that most of us have had to save for years for!!

maybe im just getting old,..but before me and my partner got together, jointly, i could never have thought of buying the motor we are getting.

whats it all about??

(sorry for me wee rant, but im sure there are more peeps out there that think like me)

#15 ·
i am a youngish driver 27 to be exact and i get looks from people cause they think i look younger (use of olay) ;)

There is more options from when i was 17 my first car was a MG metro... bank loans been offered... credit cards... as long as they are responisble good luck to any 17 year old with a new car... :D

I appreciate money and now being a single mum with a house and yes a mini i know what its like to have resposibility
:(

Cheer up people its christmas

:D

Oil of Olay bird

#16 ·
I too take offense. Granted I'm 17. But who says my parents paid for my car. For your information, I paid for every single penny of my car (except my parent's bought me floormats for my birthday :) ).I also pay for the gas and insurance. I worked many jobs, and saved my money since i was 14 so that i could pay for the MINI by the time it came out.So i payid just as much for my car as you did. Which makes us the same except for age. I'm sorry that you couldn't have a MINI at age 17, but you can't be angry at people that saved for years to afford their choice of cars. Although some kids' parents do buy them cars, not all of us teenagers are that lucky.

#21 ·
Hey people :D

I view your anger but its not going to get you anywhere ...

He has his opinion you have yours... thats all it is on a site like this!!

Dont get angry mate ... You know in your heart that you know the value and thats all that matters :D

Ignore

Leece :D

#23 ·
why should i be jealous?
how can i be?
i have everything that i have ever wanted, albeit, i paid for everything myself. car, insurance, petrol, MOT's, servicing, repairs, options, polish, etc. (not just some of these things, but all of them), - just so i can be mobile.

im not jealous. so im glad that thats cleared up.
im totally sorry, and i apologise to everyone for the thread being thrown off at a tangent, but the point that i made, too, obviously has been totally overlooked.

to all the people out there who have saved hard, and bought the object(s) of their desires, - hats off! the vast majority of people have to live like this, and some people put more importance on certain products than others. this is how ive had to live (read instant free credit, loans, HP, savings, etc).

i was just gobsmacked, totally thrown by the thought that somebody who has recently passed their test has had a very nice car (we all know they are, or we wouldnt be here- and we all know how much they cost), bought for them at such a young age.

when i was 17, im trying to think what the present value equivalent would have been back then in 1995? a £14k is alot of money for anyone who has just passed their test, and i personally cant see the reasoning behind it. im not shouting, but i dont like all this 'Grrrrrrr', and 'Arghhhh', and personal stuff. i used aberdeen as an example, becuase it is my home town, and it is oil rich. there is alot of disposable income, and a society/ culture which dictates that the kids have to have the best on the block, regardless of what it is. my 'rant' was a genral cultural rant, with a specific slant on the huge expenditure placed on a vehicle at an early age.

to highlight the fact, a new MINI costs approx 4800% more than my first car cost.
im sorry, for the vast majority of people that i have offended. im only 24 myself, so im not out of touch at all. ive owned an awful lot of motors in my time, and i have experience from both sides of the argument.

an 18 year old, who 'owns his own company'. i feel, does not have much of a leg to stand on when it comes to getting a car bought for him at an early age, as it would have been a good lesson in sales to have taken the plunge himself.

SORRY TO EVERYONE

have a good xmas y'all

#24 ·
I don't really understand what the problem is here. If someone is willing to work hard and pay for a car like a MINI then fair play to them! Equally if someone's parents are willing to buy there kid a MINI then fair play too! To be honest I really don't see the problem here.

If one day I could afford for my kids to have a MINI then I know i'd get them one...although maybe a ONE rather than a cooper but prob more for insurance reasons than anything else!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.