post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 2014, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 03:32 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom

Insurance for son 18

Hi guys just ordered new Mini Cooper and son who passed test last year but saved for car is having my 56 plate mini one he's got no no claim bonus and looking for a cheap quote any ideas ? I've tried Quinn and elephant they wanted 4k so just wondered if any young drivers recently got insured ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 2014, 11:35 AM
MINI2 Senior

Local Time: 04:32 AM
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Elephant and Quinn are all part of the same group and are usually good for young drivers, I found Admiral were also good for my daughters.

The usual - add a parent with good driving history as a named driver, increase excess, opt for reduced mileage, they all help to reduce the premium.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 2014, 12:14 PM
MINI2 Privilege Member
MINI2 Master

Quoted: 52 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid Life Mini View Post
The usual - add a parent with good driving history as a named driver, increase excess, opt for reduced mileage, they all help to reduce the premium.
I know people do this, but strictly speaking its not really correct is it? Its ok if its the parents car and the child drives it "occasionally", but if the child is the main user, which is normally the case in this situation, then they should be classed as the main driver and pay the insurance premium that dictates?
Arent you trying to con the insurance company doing it the other way? And what happens in the event of a very serious accident where say someone was to be killed and it all gets found out?
This has been raised on many other club forums and folk just seem to ignore that fact so their child can be insured on the cheap when in reality they arent really insured at all?
It doesnt take much for the insurance company to find something that will enable them to reduce a claim or not pay out at all, as we regularly hear about in the press.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 2014, 01:30 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nun View Post
I know people do this, but strictly speaking its not really correct is it? Its ok if its the parents car and the child drives it "occasionally", but if the child is the main user, which is normally the case in this situation, then they should be classed as the main driver and pay the insurance premium that dictates?
Arent you trying to con the insurance company doing it the other way? And what happens in the event of a very serious accident where say someone was to be killed and it all gets found out?
This has been raised on many other club forums and folk just seem to ignore that fact so their child can be insured on the cheap when in reality they arent really insured at all?
It doesnt take much for the insurance company to find something that will enable them to reduce a claim or not pay out at all, as we regularly hear about in the press.
Sorry to butt in here, but I think Mid Life Mini meant have the child as the main driver and add the parent as a 2nd driver.

I'm 24 now so it doesn't work anymore but having my mum as a named driver always used to reduce my premium. Also fully comp was always cheaper than 3rd party.

I've used Quinn Direct, Churchill and Admiral plus another called something like Pink Insure... anyway, I always used to just mess about with the excess/named drivers on comparison sites until I felt happy* with the quote.

*less distraught

Last edited by yesitsjess; Mar 19th, 2014 at 06:07 PM. Reason: correctness
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 2014, 03:44 PM
MINI2 Senior

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Yes, car owned and insured in the child's name with a parent or some other sensible adult with a good driving history as a named driver, I occasionally drive my daughters car, usually to pick her up from the pub. For some reason only known to insurance companies it reduces the premium.

I think the scenario The Nun was referring to was "Fronting" where the parent pretends they are the main driver and the child is a named driver. Insurance companies can see through that one and you could invalidate your insurance in the event of a claim.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2014, 02:25 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Male

England 2007 Mini One

I was 19 when i bought my 2007 mini one and paid Ł900 for the insurance and put my parents as second and third driver, it reduced it by Ł3000, I'm with admiral, might be worth giving it a look. Made it affordable
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 5th, 2014, 03:19 AM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 2014, 10:42 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 07:32 PM

United States

That's really nice. Good job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.