MINI Cooper Forum banner

Just bought mini what extras do I need to tell insurance about

6K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Big_Nige 
#1 ·
Just bought a 60 plate mini one 1.6 but it come with extras and just want to know which ones do I need to tell insurance company about.

All of the extras were factory fitted except the alloy wheels which I believe were fitted after delivery

17 inch alloys
chrome line exterior
roof in body colour
interior world carbon black
automatic air conditioning
enhanced bluetooth with usb audio
mini connected
sports steering wheel

#3 ·
MINI's must be a nightmare for insurance companies, everything is an extra. I never said anything about mine when I insured it because as far as I was concerned it was factory standard, ok it had 17" wheels, Bluetooth, heated screen, visual boost, heated seats etc but it left the factory like that. If it had something extra added afterwards then I think t at is what they are more worried about.

#8 ·
^^^ This is how I understand it too.

However, what happens if you add something at a later date that just happens to have been available from the factory?

In my case I've added an Aero bodykit, it's declared with the insurance company but it's something I really shouldn't have to do. I mean, what if the original owner had opted for it!!!

#7 ·
I have liability (Their car is covered mine is totaled) and I pay around $30 per month through Progressive. I'm only 21 and that's not at all bad. My parent owns the car while I am driving it. Not too bad. I'd imagine full coverage would be around 80-120 per month.

05' Cooper S - 98k

#9 ·
I'd be tempted to make sure you have proof of the factory extras just in case something happens and you need to have your insurers pay out in the event of a write off/stolen. At least you have some ammunition as they'll kick you in the nuts with a value anyway. Factory build sheet showing the extras fitted, photos, etc. Just keep it documented with your files.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.