Leasing - My worksheet, I'm suspicious of dealer quote from Portland Mini - MINI Cooper Forum

Finance & Insurance Use this forum to discuss financing and insuring your MINI

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2014, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 10:07 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United States

Leasing - My worksheet, I'm suspicious of dealer quote from Portland Mini

I saw a lease special on mini usa for a 2015 basic hardtop with auto transmission. I went to the only dealer in Oregon, they added Dealer preparation fee of $395, and money factor is 0.00129 for this month. BTW, there's no sales tax here in Oregon. I'm only interested in the automatic trans because wife has to drive it too.

The sales person Dale was nice and friendly, and he let me test drive one, and I got two quotes, one for "basic automatic + $100 bonet stripe" and second one with "$1500 SportPackage" option. The numbers were quite higher than I expected, and I left the dealership because I wanted to take time and re-do the numbers myself and verify everything is correct. I saw a glimpse of the sales guy getting a little upset, but I never said I was going to be ordering today in the first place.

When I got home and started calculating, and the numbers were off by at least $800 total on what I would be paying over the 36 months.

First thing of all was I noticed the BS fee which is dealer preparation fee. Is it common to take this fee off if I'm ordering a car? I actually want to have all the plastic wraps around the panels, and want to let my wife take them off.

Then the next thing was that the residual didn't match with what the dealer told me. For the Sport package, he said it's exactly 61% residual (also gave me exact number $14213, which is actually 59%) with the Sport package + BS fee added on.

When I order something like a $1500 SportPackage, does the residual percentage drop? (i.e. Am I paying 100% for the $1500 upgrade?) --> NO. This is supposed to be added to the total MSRP, then do the 61% residual off that. So I'd only be paying 39% of the upgrade plus interest.

I remember the dealer also saying even when I add a Bonet Stripe, there will be a labor charge / installation fee which wasn't shown anywhere on the two worksheet he gave me. Is there such installation labor charge for any options that I add? --> NO. I asked another dealer in Seattle, they said everything is done at the port before delivery, so there's no additional labor charge. I was thinking WTF Dale?

If my sheet looks fine, then I'm thinking of asking the dealer to order the basic automatic with SportPackage at 61% residual value. Then I would end up with $2961.98 due at sign (includes $1600 down, $725 acquisition, $75 document fee, $298 DMV registration, $263.98 first month payment), with a $263.98 per month for the rest of the 35 months.

---> I ended up talking to somebody else, got the dealer prep fee removed, with additional $250 discount, resulting in $1000 out the door, and $315.24 per month for the next 35 months.
Good deal compared to the original $1000 + $353.02 per month I was quoted. That is $1360 difference over the 3 years!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	final.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	178665  

Last edited by hp79; Sep 12th, 2014 at 09:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2014, 08:20 PM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 08:07 AM
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

Estonia Male View Caveman's Classified Ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp79 View Post
I remember the dealer also saying even when I add a Bonet Stripe, there will be a labor charge / installation fee which wasn't shown anywhere on the two worksheet he gave me. Is there such installation labor charge for any options that I add?
There is a labor charge for dealer installed accessories but if you're ordering the car from the factory the bonnet stripes should only add $100 to the base price.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2014, 11:30 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 06:07 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom

It's just like Caveman says. Ordering car from a factory shouldn't be more than $100.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: ,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.