MINI Cooper Forum banner

17 years old cooper uk insurance

4K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  lukemini04 
#1 ·
hi could any 17-18 year old mini drivers tell me what they're paying on insurance and who they are with whether they drive a one or cooper, thanks

i have a mc with full aero kit 17 s lites

could anyone give me a rough estimate

p.s as i already have the cooper i can't get a one and spec it the same
and if i don't get insured on this i'm stuck with a ford ka

so you can see this is a very serious issue 54-plate cooper VS Y-reg ka

#2 ·
I have a mini cooper, however when i was 17 three years ago i had a Ford Puma 1.7 which was insurance group 12, my insurance cost me £1300.

That was with CIS as an any driver policy with my dad as the main driver, for the cooper you'd be looking around £1100, just as long as the person you use as a main driver has a no claims discount.

If you'd rather use your own policy, try tescos, however expect the quote to be around £2,200 if you're the only driver.

I know people say that its good to build up a no claims bonus, but i save around £600 a year by being on a shared policy, my insurance will fall by the time i'm 25 and thats when i'll go on own insurance.

Andy.

#6 ·
supa-dupa-cooper said:
18 and have an 02 plate ONE - £1241 with churchill.......but will obviously be more for a cooper and for a male too ;)
hmmm, thats strange - when i was 17 without no-claims I payed £1200 for a 51 plate ONE (and I'm male) - something wrong there lol. Just awaiting my renewal quote now :(

Norwhich union my be a good place to start for the cooper, the higher the insurance group the less stupid their quotes seem to be :)

#7 ·
danb said:
hmmm, thats strange - when i was 17 without no-claims I payed £1200 for a 51 plate ONE (and I'm male) - something wrong there lol. Just awaiting my renewal quote now :(

Norwhich union my be a good place to start for the cooper, the higher the insurance group the less stupid their quotes seem to be :)
pass plus helps with your first policy with most companies (took over £300 off of mine)

and as for norwich union - :mad: - they put the phone down on me....good job it was a ridiculous quote :eek: :D (they wouldnt have gotten my business :p )

#8 ·
danb said:
the higher the insurance group the less stupid their quotes seem to be :)
Different insurers rate cars and drivers in different ways.

Priviledge were one of the only insurers who'd cover me on a Lotus Elise at 23.
Eagle Star who I'd previously been with wouldn't even quote.

I sold the Elise about a year later and bought a little Clio,
Priviledge wanted a small fortune for it, so I switched back to Eagle Star and it was almost half the price !!

That's why hopefully my site will help match you with the insurance companies who do the best deal for your car / bike and age group etc.

Best of luck with it.

Here's another odd insurance question...
How come it's cheaper for me to insure a £13k brand new Mini Cooper,
than it is a 6 year old Clio that's worth about £4 !?
They have the same engine size, so you'd kinda expect a car almost 3 times the value to be more expensive to insure... but it isn't !!

#11 ·
Tesco's are great although i'm pretty sure that they have just stopped allowing younger drivers as it were to get insured on a cooper upwards. Fortuanately I was 18 with my cooper Aero kit, exhaust, induction kit, 18's etc a few years ago so was able to get insured. I've just gone with them on my new S (which arrives in 5 days!) as they are good for mods. The problem with Norwich union and a lot of other insurers is that they will often not allow mods and/or are not prepared to recognise things such as the chilli pack. As for extras such as the aero kit, forget it! Just keep searching and hopefully you'll find something! If a parent has been insured with tesco's for a while it would be worth trying them as my sister (who is 18) has just got insured on my Cooper (which as from next week is her cooper) with a whole host of mods, although we have been with them for a while now.

#13 ·
u will be looking at nearly 2k mate

in my name i shopped everywhere and as an 18yo with 1yr NCB i paid £1700. that was cheap! with mini. most places woudnt touch me on a cooper til 19 and the ones that did wanted up to £3k

even this year with 2yrs NCB im paying £1300.

#16 ·
I stayed on my parents insurance until last year so just to give you an idea, here is my insurance stats from 20th May 04:

Male
22 years old
first policy so no 'no claims bonus'
one conviction (3 points £40 fine) this only adds about a pound :D
one named driver (no covictns. 10+years no claims bonus. aged 50)
Chilli Cooper 2002
value at insurance date £11.500

PREMIUM = £720 fully comp, £100 excess with legal protection etc

added new exhaust, S bumpers and 18" wheels for £33.30 extra recently.

renewal best quote for MAY 20 05 = £669

As you have no driving experience (in the eyes of the insurance company) You would be looking at a premium at least double what I paid last year with a nasty excess. A friend of mine has a £2500 excess on a cooper S. He is 20. OUCH!

#17 ·
Rough quotes for your description .. i guessed a few things and advised that the car had a tracker fitted. Elephant wouldnt quote late at night neither would tesco and they are both worth a try. Obvioulsy the quotes below are a complete joke!!! GET SOME OLD PERSON TO INSURE IT AND HAVE YOU AS A NAMED DRIVER!!! OR perfect you driving skills in the Ka for a year, gain 1 years no claims, then trry again...

Kwik-Fit/KFI ZENITH £3554.84
Direct Choice/Zenith £3749.27
Budget/Allianz Cornhill Insurance £4027.25
Dial Direct/Allianz Cornhill Insurance £4027.71
Its4Me/Cornhill £4685.57
SWINTON/Cornhill £4685.57
Direct Choice/Allianz £4823.75
Direct Choice/Cornhill £5207.97

#25 ·
harrisona said:
current premium is £2450 which was the cheapest from Norwich Union Direct with 1 years no claims and no convictions on a mini cooper
Blimey! :eek: How old are you? I've just renewed my MCS insurance for £789.60 - I'm only 23, but have 4 years no claims & have had my licence for 6 years. I did get 3 points back Feb though, so I thought it might go through the roof, but I was quite chuffed as I paid just over a grand last year

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.