CVT Transmission Failure - MINI Cooper Forum
Go Back   MINI Cooper Forum > Model Specific MINI Forums > MINI Automatic and CVT > First Generation CVT & Automatic

First Generation CVT & Automatic First Generation MINI Automatics from 2001 - 2006

Mini2.com is the premier Mini Cooper Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
04 CVT Auto Trans upgradable to 07 S Auto Trans? Beachinbum General Discussion 5 Jun 29th, 2014 08:25 PM
Another Transmission Problem ptbomini First Generation MINI Tuning 1 Dec 6th, 2013 11:08 AM
Mini Cooper S Convertible Auto Transmission Fault dudexk First Generation Faults & Fixes 0 Nov 8th, 2012 09:57 AM
Cooper S Convertible - CVT or No CVT? neilrlsmith First Generation MINI Cooper S 3 Sep 17th, 2012 09:21 PM

LinkBack (3) Thread Tools Rate Thread
  2 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1 (permalink)  
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 03:07 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 04:40 PM
United States
Unhappy CVT Transmission Failure

I've driven (and loved) my Baby (Mini Cooper, CVT) for 3 years and 1 month... but Monday, she gave me a surprise that has caused me no end of heartbreak.

I was driving to the dealer to get some under warranty body work done, and right after I pulled off the highway, not 500 yards from the dealer, she groans and stops dead. No warning signs that she's about to die, no grinding, no flashing lights... she just stopped moving forward, or backward, or heck, in any direction.

I got towed the rest of the way to the dealer and they looked at it, but all they can tell me is that there's metal shavings in the transmission fluid "which probably means there was a mechanical failure somewhere". To add to the heartbreak, I got a clean service checkup not one month ago!

Sadly, Baby's been around the block a bit more than most, I guess... She's got 74000 miles and is no longer under warranty. The dealer wants to charge me 7000 dollars to replace the tranny.

Here's my problem... I had no warning this was going to happen, no reason to expect it to die suddenly, a clean bill of health very recently, and no information on what caused the problem...

The only conclusion I can draw is that transmissions on minis spontaneously implode every 3 years. I simply can't afford to keep a car with that kind of maintenance record. It looks like I may just have to put her down and spend that 7000 on a down payment for a car with a little more stamina.

Please, I'm trying very hard to find a reason, any reason , why I should repair my car rather than replace it. Are there people around that have racked up more miles than me? What other maintenance surprises would Baby have for me if I gave her a transplant?

Please? Somebody? I love my Baby....I feel terrible for even considering to abandon her. I nearly burst into tears when I walked into another car dealership to discuss trading her in for something from a company that's willing to back up their engineering. I've spoken to two dealerships, mini customer service, and several independent auto mechanics, and noone has even been able to give me enough comfort to consider replacing her with another mini. I guess Minis just weren't made for someone who intends to keep a car for more than 4 years/50000 miles.

I'm Heartbroken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 10th, 2005, 03:54 AM
MINI2 Premium Member
MINI2 Global Moderator

Local Time: 02:40 PM
United States Male View Sejanus's Chili Red & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper Profile
As a CVT owner at 52,000 miles you have my deepest condolences. Personally I think I'd fix the transmission. I mean where else are you going to get a car as fun as your MINI for $7,000?

Old Nov 10th, 2005, 04:13 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United States
Yeah, I know. I don't think I could love another car as much as I love my Mini..... but to be perfectly frank, I simply don't make enough money to keep up a car that's going to cost so much so soon. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect to keep a car more than 5 years, and with a little luck, some TLC, and a little more cash set aside, I would hope to keep her for 10 years.

7000 dollars is a third of what I paid for her new. And it may sound cheaper now, but if I can spend 20,000 on a car that won't need to be replaced every three years, I save money in the long run.
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 04:52 PM
MINI2 Premium Member Has met Quack Quack Jack
Loves the Fuzzy One
Send a message via AIM to AprilWhine Send a message via MSN to AprilWhine Send a message via Skype™ to AprilWhine

United States Female
Stuff happens. You had some bad luck but that doesn't mean it will be repeated in three years. You are upset right now, but when you think about it you will probably decide to get your baby fixed.

Or trade your baby and the $7k for a new MINI?
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 12:17 AM
MINI2 Premium Member
MINI2 Global Moderator

Quote: Originally Posted by slaybalj
Yeah, I know. I don't think I could love another car as much as I love my Mini..... but to be perfectly frank, I simply don't make enough money to keep up a car that's going to cost so much so soon. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect to keep a car more than 5 years, and with a little luck, some TLC, and a little more cash set aside, I would hope to keep her for 10 years.

7000 dollars is a third of what I paid for her new. And it may sound cheaper now, but if I can spend 20,000 on a car that won't need to be replaced every three years, I save money in the long run.

I understand, but odds are you were just unlucky. Unfortunately, it's too early in these cars lives to know for sure. We are the guinea pigs. Maybe you should get an MSCa, tried and true technology.

Old Nov 11th, 2005, 02:46 AM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 01:40 PM
United States View Joe Z's Pepper White & Body Color 1st Gen MINI Cooper Profile
Unhappy

I know how you feel....

I guess we have BAD LUCK too.... ??

2006 Mini Cooper with 325 Miles...

10/30/05 *** CVT Transmission Failure -> Cause Unknown......

A few days later *** Power Stering Pump Failure -> Cause Unknown..

Thank GOD we have another 3 years 11 months and /or 49,550 miles left on our warranty!!

Full Story here: http://www.mini2.com/forum/first-generation-faults-fixes/103107-2006-cooper-cvt-auto-transmission-failure-2-power-steering-pump-failure-why-post2038773.html

Honestly $7,000 is a bit high..... Don't they do any "Good Will" warranty at your dealership?

Joe Z
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 04:38 PM
MINI2 Premium Member
MINI2 Global Moderator

Joe's right $7,000 seems bizarre. Dealers often grossly overcharge. You might want to shop around to independent mechanics. Obviously it's going to be an unusual repair job for them, but if they offer a substantially lower price I'd take a chance on their learning curve.

Old Nov 12th, 2005, 01:18 AM
MINI2 Newbie

United States
Unhappy

Unfortunately, the independent mechanic I spoke to told me that he didn't think he could give me a better price, just due to the cost of the transmission itself. Although after some extended conversations with the dealer and mini customer service, they were able to offer me a 2500 dollar discount, so it's not quite as horrifying as it was initially.

Anyhow, after a lot of thought, I have decided to have my car repaired and keep with it for a while longer. This is my first serious problem, so I'll take a chance that Baby just needs a transplant. But I have learned a very important lesson from this: When I buy my next car, maintenance cost will have to be a consideration. I can't afford to drain my bank account to zero to fix it. I'm simply not rich enough to own a mini, I guess. I'll always love the cars though.

Barring any other unforeseen difficulties, I'll probably just be posting again once I hit 100,000 miles.
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 06:11 AM
MINI2 Premium Member
MINI2 Global Moderator

Wow, that's quite a drop in price there. I'm glad you got some relief anyway! Good luck, and please do let us know how it goes.

Old Nov 12th, 2005, 05:16 PM
MINI2 Senior

Local Time: 05:40 PM
United States Male View Aurel's Hot Chocolate & Silver 2nd Gen MINI Cooper Clubman Profile
wow, sorry to hear about your troubles!

$7000, even $4500 sounds like a lot of money for a tranny.

now I know for sure I am trading my car in as soon as the warranty is about to expire.
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 07:42 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United States
Thumbs up

Hey, just wanted to give another update:

I got my car back from the dealer yesterday, and it's running quite well now.

The dealer actually floored me when he gave me the final price; apparently he got Mini Corp to kick in more than the 2500 discount they were offering so the final cost ended up being around 2600.

Got me how he pulled it off, but I gotta say, I'm happy with the dealer at least (Tate Mini of Annapolis, if you're curious).

As for whether I'll buy another mini when Baby does wear out: we'll see what the the future brings.... aside from this, she's been going strong.
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 11:08 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 05:40 PM
United States View jazmini's Indi Blue & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper Profile
Glad it worked out and that MINI stepped up for you. This makes us all feel good about the MINI corporate office.

"Bluebird" 2004 IB/W MC CVT SS+, MINI Madness CAI & Exhaust, HK & XM Satellite
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 02:58 PM
formerly known as wsw

Local Time: 07:40 AM
Hong Kong Male View wils's Chili Red & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper Profile
i had the same thing happen...well not completely
my MINI didn't just die but it did have to have the transmission replaced - thank God it was still under warranty....but they showed me the bill for it anyway....and yes it was for $7000
i told them thank u, and asked what happened if i was out of warranty? and my regular service guy said to me that bmw would have still paid for most of it as they are such new cars and it's ridiculous to think that anything major like tranmission will fail in first few years...
so it does seem that bmw stand behind their products...i guess......

wils

i got an exhaust because i wanted to make my car sound fast, but its not fast at all, so therefore i am a ricer....
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 04:31 AM
MINI2 Premium Member
MINI2 Global Moderator

How many miles did your MINI have on it when the CVT went out?

Old Nov 20th, 2005, 01:08 PM
formerly known as wsw

Local Time: 07:40 AM
Hong Kong Male View wils's Chili Red & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper Profile
umm well i'm just over 60,000KM now and it was earlier this year
so at a guess around 50ish? note it's kilometres and not miles....
my transmission didn't go but um something attached to it was faulty so they had to replace the whole thing....the service guy was explaining to me something below it? haha sorry i'm not that technically proficient

wils

i got an exhaust because i wanted to make my car sound fast, but its not fast at all, so therefore i am a ricer....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mini2.com/forum/first-generation-cvt-automatic/103799-cvt-transmission-failure.html
Posted By For Type Date
MINI COOPER :: North American Motoring - 2002 Mini...what could go wrong? This thread Refback Mar 2nd, 2009 07:17 PM
MINI COOPER :: North American Motoring - Attention all CVT OWNERS! This thread Refback Dec 30th, 2008 11:05 PM
MINI COOPER :: North American Motoring - CVT? This thread Refback Dec 20th, 2008 03:51 AM