Stuck in first, shows XD, XP, XR after reset, URGENT - MINI Cooper Forum

First Generation CVT & Automatic First Generation MINI Automatics from 2001 - 2006

User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2007, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Local Time: 06:29 PM
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Canada
 
Canada Stuck in first, shows XD, XP, XR after reset, URGENT

HI,
How do I reset computer now after all the adaptation values have been erased using ediabas software.
The car is CVT mini cooper 2005.
It's stuck in first gear and has X in front of all drive modes on the speedo.
Other post said it should reset:

It takes perhaps two (2) miles to reset the clutch adaptation and the transmission (ratio) adaptation. It is a very specific MINI-approved process: gentle acceleration to 37mph (60Km/h) in Drive, then coasting (foot off the throttle pedal) until the EMS2000 computer tracks CVT Input shaft speed versus Output shaft speed at specific "mapped" Engine rpm. These targeted rpm values are 5000, 4500, 4000, 3500, 3000, 2500, 2000, 1900, 1800, 1700, 1600, 1500, and 1400rpm.

This is called the "fast adaptation procedure" which removes an "X" from the displayed "D" (as in "XD"), or "SD", or "1" etc. The car is not supposed to be released until this process is completed in the computer, evidenced by the normal display of "D", "SD", and the Steptronic gears.

What am I doing wrong?
Thanks
nariusb is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2007, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Local Time: 06:29 PM
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Canada
 
Solved!
Hope this helps you a bit:

1. At 2000 U/min switch to N
2. 10 sec. to D
3. Switch to P. The display should show now xP
4. 10x (3 sec. N -> 3 sec. D) *
5. 10x (3 sec. N -> 3 sec. R) *
6. Switch to P. The display should show xP
7. Switch to D
8. Drive now over 80 km/h and release throttle control
(the CVT starts now with the adaptation; 4500,4000,3500, ..., 1500, 1400 U/min)
9. Switch to P. The display should now show P
10. Repeat step 4 and 5

*(3sec.N 3sec.D;3sec.N 3sec.D;3sec.N 3sec.D;3sec.N 3sec.D;3sec.N 3sec.D;3sec.N 3sec.D;3sec.N 3sec.D;3sec.N 3sec.D;3sec.N 3sec.D;3sec.N 3sec.D)
--> same for step 5, but with R instead of D
nariusb is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2011, 11:37 AM
MINI2 Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Local Time: 06:29 PM
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Canada
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nariusb View Post
Solved!
Hope this helps you a bit:

1. At 2000 U/min switch to N
2. 10 sec. to D
3. Switch to P. The display should show now xP
4. 10x (3 sec. N -> 3 sec. D) *
5. 10x (3 sec. N -> 3 sec. R) *
6. Switch to P. The display should show xP
7. Switch to D
8. Drive now over 80 km/h and release throttle control
(the CVT starts now with the adaptation; 4500,4000,3500, ..., 1500, 1400 U/min)
9. Switch to P. The display should now show P
10. Repeat step 4 and 5

*(3sec.N 3sec.D;3sec.N 3sec.D;3sec.N 3sec.D;3sec.N 3sec.D;3sec.N 3sec.D;3sec.N 3sec.D;3sec.N 3sec.D;3sec.N 3sec.D;3sec.N 3sec.D;3sec.N 3sec.D)
--> same for step 5, but with R instead of D
I have this same problem and cannot get out of xD.

I have performed all the steps in Phase I (going from XP to XN, to XR to XN, etc.), accelerated the car and let it coast but it won't leave 1st gear. Is there a specific RPM the engine must be at before it goes into second gear? After all, 80kph would probably require 3rd gear.
big2circle is offline  
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 2012, 12:53 PM
MINI2 Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Local Time: 11:29 PM
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Spain
 
Stuck in first, shows XD, XP, XR after reset, URGENT

Quote:
I have this same problem and cannot get out of xD.

I have performed all the steps in Phase I (going from XP to XN, to XR to XN, etc.), accelerated the car and let it coast but it won't leave 1st gear. Is there a specific RPM the engine must be at before it goes into second gear? After all, 80kph would probably require 3rd gear.
Same problem as nariusb. Did you manage so sort it? Mine stays in the first gear, on XD. On BMW they want to change me the gearbox with new one. Any help?
Djeebah is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2012, 06:49 PM
MINI2 Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Local Time: 09:29 AM
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Australia
 
Angry CVT wont upshift

I have the same problem.
My 03 Cooper CVT will go into P,R,N,D but it will not upshift from first even when using sport mode. There is an X in front of the letters indicating that it is in readaption mode. Eg. XD. I have repeatedly tried readaption procedures but I can only get to 51kph in first. There are no error codes.
I replaced the battery as the the computer showed ~12.6V. No change.
I replaced the transmission fluid. No change.
I then replaced the entire CVT only to find the exact same problem still exists.
There are no blown fuses, error codes, damage to the car or anything that might give a clue where the problem lies.
Can a replacement ECU be used or is the ECU linked to the key or VIN?
Is there any way of testing the ECU? Any clues would be appreciated.
teamkbayside2 is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2012, 02:38 AM
MINI2 Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Local Time: 10:29 PM
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom
 
Hi, did you solve the problem? If so, how? Or, did you get a reply to your quest? The ones above were not relevant, as the car is stuck in 1st and will never reach 80 kph like this. Thanks
criscross is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2012, 12:21 AM
MINI2 Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Local Time: 05:29 PM
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Canada
 
The target speed is actually ">80 km/h" as the BMW manual says.
And yes, stuck in xD it will go up to more than 80. Done it twice already.
gmini03 is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2012, 12:33 AM
MINI2 Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Local Time: 05:29 PM
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Canada
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nariusb View Post
Solved!
Hope this helps you a bit:

1. At 2000 U/min switch to N
2. 10 sec. to D
3. Switch to P. The display should show now xP
4. 10x (3 sec. N -> 3 sec. D) *
5. 10x (3 sec. N -> 3 sec. R) *
6. Switch to P. The display should show xP
7. Switch to D
8. Drive now over 80 km/h and release throttle control
(the CVT starts now with the adaptation; 4500,4000,3500, ..., 1500, 1400 U/min)
9. Switch to P. The display should now show P
10. Repeat step 4 and 5

*(3sec.N 3sec.D;3sec.N 3sec.D;3sec.N 3sec.D;3sec.N 3sec.D;3sec.N 3sec.D;3sec.N 3sec.D;3sec.N 3sec.D;3sec.N 3sec.D;3sec.N 3sec.D;3sec.N 3sec.D)
--> same for step 5, but with R instead of D
I'm trying to do only step one, the clutch adaptation as standalone so I don't see the xP but just P.
If I remove the adaptation values using the laptop, I cannot perform just step 1 (got burned once...) so that's why I don't see the x. It should be OK this way for performing just step 1.

Are you 100% sure for step 4 & 5 is "N 3sec-D 3sec-N 3sec..." and not "P-N 3 sec - D 3 sec - P - N 3sec - D 3sec - P - N ......"?
The BMW documentation is vague and Bentley maual says "P-N3-D3-P-N3-D3-...).
BMW TIS quotes:
"
For adaptation of the CVT gearbox, the following steps must be carried out as instructed; if necessary step I can also be carried out individually.
I. Clutch adaptation
Press the brake pedal in the following steps.
1. Start the cold engine. At increased idle speed, shift to N for 10 s, then shift to D for 10 s.
XP is indicated in the P position in the display.
2. Repeat the following ten times: Shift to N for 3 s, then shift to D for 3 s.
XP is indicated in the P position in the display.
3. Repeat the following ten times: Shift to N for 3 s, then shift to R for 3 s.
XP is indicated in the P position in the display.

[step 2 is for ratio adaptation....]

Important:
Wait for at least 10 mins. Before possible disconnection from the battery and/or DMR engine control unit.
"

Also, what does the warning mean? Should I leave the engine running for another 10 minutes after I perform just step 1?
gmini03 is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 2013, 07:10 AM
MINI2 Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Local Time: 11:29 PM
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Netherlands
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamkbayside2 View Post
I have the same problem.
My 03 Cooper CVT will go into P,R,N,D but it will not upshift from first even when using sport mode. There is an X in front of the letters indicating that it is in readaption mode. Eg. XD. I have repeatedly tried readaption procedures but I can only get to 51kph in first. There are no error codes.
I replaced the battery as the the computer showed ~12.6V. No change.
I replaced the transmission fluid. No change.
I then replaced the entire CVT only to find the exact same problem still exists.
There are no blown fuses, error codes, damage to the car or anything that might give a clue where the problem lies.
Can a replacement ECU be used or is the ECU linked to the key or VIN?
Is there any way of testing the ECU? Any clues would be appreciated.
Where you able to solve this problem? We got a CVT here that was broken down. We fixed the casing(snap ring broke out of its notches), and we performed a reset. But normally it will go to at least 80kph, but this one is stuck at about 50kph, so it cant relearn the ratios.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanx
Mclain is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2014, 12:54 PM
MINI2 Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Local Time: 10:29 PM
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

 
I am having a similar issue. My car will not go above 30mph.

It did go above once though some one pulled out in front of me so I had to slow down and I could not get it to do it again.
karmaxul is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply
Tags:


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome