MINI Cooper Forum banner

Tips and Facts on the Aisin AW TF-61SN automatic

37K views 49 replies 19 participants last post by  chrisflyer 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
nonsequitur said:
One of you who actually have the the car should lay out what the gearbox functions are, describe how they work, and carefully discuss how to use them!
A place to start this exercise is for someone to transcribe the contents from the MINI Cooper S Auto Owner's Manual (starting at Page 56 according to ASK-MINI) into this Thread, or maybe start a new thread titled appropriately. It can form the "starting place" for comments, corrections, additions, and thus Understanding of the Aisin AW TF-61SN 6-speed Automatic that's installed in your cars. The Moderator can also change the thread's title later if this one morphs into something useful.

I've never been able to read what BMW Group wrote as a description of how to drive the MCS Auto, because we don't have one yet.

Ok, I am kicking this off, and will add more facts as soon as I read my owners manual. :rolleyes:

As I have driven our MCSCa less than 100 miles, I am far from the expert, but willing to do research. So far, putting the lever in D and pressing the foot feed has resulted in forward motion. Selecting R has caused rearward motion. :D

My initial impression is that it is a great gearbox. As I stated in another post, it is almost as smooth as the CVT, which I was very pleased with. I am not going to flog my car during the break in period, so some of you other owners will have to post your impressions during spirited driving. I will also after the mileage gets up a little more.

1. If you are reading this thread, you have purchased, or are contemplating purchasing a MCSa. Note, this is NOT a CVT. Stop calling it a MINI S with a CVT. Great tranny the CVT, but the MCS tranny is a full juice box. Torque converter, six distinct speeds computer selected and controlled.

More posts to follow with the facts as I can research them, if any of you have info to add, please contribute, I need all the help I can get. I will never race our car, so that info will have to be from the more daring owners.

If this thread works as I hope, it will become a sticky, and reside at the top permanently.

Jim Ray

See less See more
#28 ·
Great thread!

I just took delivery of my '05 MCSa and am very happy with the transmission. I have found Mini 2 to have the most info on the automatic, and am very pleased to have found this thread!

I have had an '03 MCS which has been a great car, but I am finding the new car much easier and pleasureable to drive. The lower gearing and torque multipication of the auto makes traffic much less bothersome, and the car is so much easier to drive.

I am still in break-in, but since I have familiarity with the car already, I find I can be really smooth in the lower gears. I have been more inclined to manual shift , it makes a great transistion from the manual car. I can drive the car 'hard' and still manual shift if before 4500 rpm, and I find that the car in D seems to shift about 4500 rpm anyway, lots of fun, and I think it will be a great car to autocross.
:D

#29 ·
I've had my MCSa for 257 days and I'm still extremely impressed with its driving variability and performance. You can actually teach the car how you want it to drive! Here are my specific impressions:

D mode. This is perfect for everyday commuting. Basically D mode tries to maximize fuel economy using your driving habits. If you typically accelerate quickly (in any driving mode) the car will rev higher before shifting. If you typically accelerate slowly then the car will shift earlier. You can also forcefully teach the car to shift earlier during acceleration. If the car is revving higher than you want it to in D mode, when accelerating manually upshift using the paddle when you want (temporarily changes to M mode), the car will automatically switch back to D mode after acceleration and the car will adapt to this driving pattern/habit, so that the next time you accelerate the car will shift at lower RPM. Another interesting feature in D mode is that the car usually downshifts when coasting down a steep hill.

SD mode. I don't usually use this mode, but I think it behaves much the same way as D mode, other than the car operating at higher RPM. I think it is just as adaptive as D mode and that driving aggressively in SD mode influences how the car will act in D mode as well.

M mode. I drive in this mode often - my car begs me to. There are a few ways how you can treat this mode of driving and I'm not sure which is best for the car/trasmission. When shifting you can either keep constant pressure on the accelerator or you can take your foot off of the accelerator then reapply pressure when in gear. The first (constant pressure) allows for instant gear changes, but I worry that it puts much stress on the trasmission. The second seems like it puts less stress on the transmission and you get a sporty exhaust gurgle when take your foot off the accelerator to shift. Other M mode driving options would include the amount of pressure you apply to the accelerator while shifting. Either way it's a lot of fun. It's even more fun if you swich off traction control because the throttle is a little more responsive (although this could be dangerous).

#30 ·
Good observations bjl.

I have no access to the BMW programming, but ten years ago I had access to the logic diagram for the Chrysler product electronic automatic.

When the shift was initiated, the ecu killed the spark to the engine for just a portion of a revolution. This allowed the shift to take place under reduced loading. It was imperceptible to the driver. I have to believe that the MINI, and most other modern automatics have the same feature in the program. It reduces warranty claims, and that would almost guarantee it.

Hey, it has been almost a year, hasn't it? The wife and I still are amazed with the performance of our MCSa's, and would not think of going back to a stick shift. It will ruin you for other cars though. :D

#31 ·
Good to see that the MCSa is still alive.
Had my MCSa now for 6 months and I would say that 99% of the time I drive in "M". During this time I have never deaccelerated, only kept constant power with no problems whatsoever.
The only trick is to ensure when slowing or change down, that you do not leave it too late to drop to 2nd for corners, as some times at same time the MCSa already had changed, thus putting you in 1st......gulp.
The only issue is the cold start and slight yo-yo first thing in morning or longer holding of gears during change. I have been told to update the exhaust into 4 into 1 gives extra power and smoothes this problem out. Still deciding whether to do or not.
I agree with Jim, that it is hard to go back to manual after this sweet car.
Go MCSa.

#33 ·
Update on MCSa

This car gets the nod for everyday driving. It's just easier to drive. It takes some skill to keep it smooth, but so does the manual shift car. When driven aggressively, it's a flyer!

I have also discoverd that I can shift in D mode. Just tap a paddle and you jump into manual mode, and go up or down a gear. Really fantastic when you want to upshift or downshift - no reaching for the gear lever and pushing it over, etc., just start paddleing! The car will revert to D mode a few seconds later, but you've been able to make your gear change and are back to cruising faster than if you had been trying to reset the mode!

And, I LOVE the kickdown! It's just a no brainer, even more fun if you are in D then hit the paddle to drop a gear - the display will show what gear, then stomp it into kickdown. The rocket launches! Don't forget to paddle up, but it will revert to D and shift up if you don't.

Also in D, the box downshifts as you are braking, so you are pretty well set for accelerating out of a corner in a lower gear. If its a slow corner, like a right angle bend, second will be seleced - you can check it just be bumping the paddle, or move the lever over and go through the motions. Anyway, just wanted to say that I find driving in D and working the paddles as needed, THE best of both worlds. Automatic ease, with manual overide, and back to D faster and smoother than you can probably shift the auto box manually!:D

#35 ·
mick225 said:
Is there a display to show which gear you currently have selected?
I know it does in manual mode. I think it does for a moment in D when manually shifting, but it goes away when the tranny returns to full automatic. I so seldom shift manually that I will have to take a look when I get to drive the wifes car again.;)

#36 ·
Jim Ray said:
I know it does in manual mode. I think it does for a moment in D when manually shifting, but it goes away when the tranny returns to full automatic. I so seldom shift manually that I will have to take a look when I get to drive the wifes car again.;)
Yup, you're right Jim. That's how it works; bang on.

But I think you should take your wife's car for a "test drive" anyway. :p

#37 ·
Update on MCSa

I haven't visited for a while, but this is a good time to make an addition. I have been in the process of selling my manual S, so I haven't been driving it much. I have been reluctant to let it go. It has been cleaned and polished and sitting in the garage awaiting a new owner. I have been logging lots of mile on the MCSa instead, and I have to say - getting into the old car was a shocker!

I had forgotten how aniemic the manual S is low down. I was afraid I was going to stall it every time I took off from a stop light! The Auto has made it so easy to move off from a stop, or a hill, just so much nicer for everyday driving!

On the open road, I have no feeling of diconnect with the auto. I find it very satisfying to drive, and don't feel I am missing much from the manual. There are some oddities, but I think it's just the computer trying to think, and a tap on the paddles puts it all right!:p

#39 ·
Monterey GP Mini

I will look forward to seeing you there! I am attending with a friend who is also collecting a GP Mini! Are you doing 'Mini takes the states' too? We will be doing leg one, maybe two, but can't stray too far since the car needs to be returned to Mini for shipping.

What's your number?

You can contact me direct at JCIP@hawaii.rr.com
:D

#41 ·
Good point! In manual mode it doesn't just upshift, so you have to watch the revs! It will go onto the rev limiter to cut back and loose power, but it can't be good for the trans. I have done this a few times, and it seems to take the trans a while to recover.

I think it is like the learning of your driving style by the cars computer. It you are reving high, the system takes that to be your driving style. I have found that I will need to deliberately upshift the car in D mode, or it holds its lower gears at high revs. I guess it's expecting me to demand maximum performance most of the time!

Another reason I found it more comfortable to put it in D and shift as needed. On the highway I will use the kick-down by flooring the gas so I don't hold it in a lower gear too long. If I want, I can force the upshift to the hight gear from D by hitting the paddle, or gear shift. All very well controlled and snappy.:wink:

#45 ·
I have a standard MC and am not too familiar with the automatic, but 3 years ago, I rented an automatic MC, I'm guessing an '02 or '03 and I don't remember if it was a CVT or regualr automatic. There were no paddles that I was aware of....... back then, did the auto or the CVT come with paddles?.....maybe they were there and I just missed them

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.