MINI Cooper Forum banner

Electric window stopped working

220K views 47 replies 43 participants last post by  bbtuinman 
#1 ·
Hi

Just got home from work and noticed that when I got our the car the window didn't drop. So I got back in to find out that the whole things has stopped working. The passenger side works fine but not the drivers. I have checked the fuses so any ideas? Has this happened to you?

Cheers

Nick

#2 ·
Have had several problems. Comes from the sensors not realising where the window is (problem 1), or the software can get itself into a bad state (problem 2).

NOTE - these are just some things that have worked on my '02 MC - these may not be valid fixes on anyone elses cars.

Problem 1 is easy to fix - hold the up button for 20 seconds, or wind it full down / full up (or similar) and it will sort itself out

Problem 2 started as the windows would occasionally stop working. Got worse and worse. Then the central locking wouldn't lock the car. Disconnected the battery for 5 minutes, reconnected and I haven't had the windows stick since! (And no probs with the central locking either.)

#3 ·
hi mate,

got the same problem at the moment, i read on this forum somewhere that if you can hear a click in the door when you toggle the window switch then its no more than a loose connection and a punch with the side of your fist just above the door speaker should do the trick.......i tired this myself and it does work as a temp solution but i think i'll still need to open the door up and fix the connection.

bmw wanted £65 +vat for a new window regulator and £165 + vat for fitting...

nickcouldrick said:
Hi

Just got home from work and noticed that when I got our the car the window didn't drop. So I got back in to find out that the whole things has stopped working. The passenger side works fine but not the drivers. I have checked the fuses so any ideas? Has this happened to you?

Cheers

Nick

#4 ·
Hey there,

I have a 04 MCS that has had both window motors replaced 3 times:angry: . According to MINI / BMW it is a common problem. After having a nice talk with the service manager about them buying me an extended waranty to cover this design problem, he informed me that all repairs ( parts ) are covered by a 2 year warranty from MINI - so even if my car is out of warranty the window parts are covered for 2 years from the date of service.

I don't know if this is just in the USA or not??

Hope this helps

#5 ·
window dead

have had same fault last night on my 05 car built jul 05 it is a bad design as you cannot close door when window is stuck in the fully up position from inside the car i am having to bend window in and close from outside then go to passengers side to climb in a nighmare.
Had a mini for three years before this and no problem will be getting then to check both motors when it goes in to repair shop .

#6 ·
Hi,

I was delighed to find this site while browsing for help with my non-functioning drivers window. Thank god for air con, or i'd have baked this week!
My window stopped working on sunday, it won't go up or down using the switch, but sometimes it will drop and go back up on opening and closing the door. My partner suggested that it might be a cable - his mx5 buddies have had similar problems, discovered that the cable has snapped and have replaced it with some scissors type mechanism - which won't ever snap. Anybody know if this could be the problem and if a similar solution exists for the mini?

Thanks.

#9 ·
I have added the below for those of you not having any success with the good tricks suggested above.

My 2003 '53' Cooper S (UK) passenger side window had the same problem; no movement when window switch was pressed. I first thought it to be the fuse, so replaced that. No change; window motor just clicked as I pressed the switch. The motor was probably clicking before I changed the fuse, but I did not notice at that point. I then found some forums on the problem. I tried holding both window switches up for 20 seconds and then down, etc, but nothing changed. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, but no change. I tried thumping the door around where the window motor is positioned. No change. I then, with extreme reluctance, went to my local BMW Mini dealer to see what they recommended. Of course their recommendation was to open my wallet, bend over and think of Scotland! BMW Mini, instead of deducing pretty quickly what the fault was likely to be from a vast history of experience with this common problem, wanted to hook the car up to their diagnostics PC for a FULL vehicle check; £80 + VAT. So, I’d be near £100 worse off and would only have a confirmation of the fault to show for it. i.e. nothing would be repaired at this point.

BMW Mini would then be asking a further £70 + VAT for a new window motor, or £140 + VAT for the regulator together with 1 to 2 hours labour on top of that for fitting (a further £80 to £160 + VAT). To be fair to BMW Mini, the parts would come with a 2 year warranty, so if like a few other Mini owners have found, the problem persists due to a motor/regulator design fault, I’d at least have a bit of comeback.

Needless to say, I left the dealer to have another crack myself. I took off the door panel. This only required the removal of the three torx screws around the interior door handle + the torx screw under the clear reflector near the door lock/unlock indicator pin. It was then a case of prizing the panel away from the door. Not an easy task, but it does pull straight off, away from the door with a bit of persuasion. Prying tools are probably best, but not having any myself, I tackled it with my bare hands. There are a few areas on the door where you can get good leverage to free the panel clips. Try gripping the panel with both thumbs and forefingers and lever/push against the door with your other fingers.

After the panel was removed, I could see what I was dealing with and that I didn’t want to go pulling things out in case I broke something and then required urgent BMW Mini Dealer attention.....££££££!

I tried the ‘Fonz’ trick again, but the motor did not budge; even holding the switch, starting the car and hitting the motor simultaneously would not work for me. I was about to admit defeat and book the car into BMW Mini, but then gave this last thing a try. I grabbed one of the regulator cables, just at the point before the cable goes around the white (or green in some models, I believe) sheave/pulley at the bottom of the door on the front-most of the two black window guides (i.e. window guide nearest motor). I got a good grip of the cable and tugged it each way as I started the car then pressed the window switch....................hey presto! The window went down. I really don’t know if my regulator or motor are on their way out, so I may have to replace either or both at some point soon. One point I noted was that the window runs up and down a lot smoother than before. Previously the window ran rather juddery as if on a dry mechanism. I am unclear at the moment what my yanking of the regulator cable has actually done for the motor or regulator, but hopefully it all works for a wee while.
I have looked at second hand motors and regulators, which are £40 for the full assembly. Nice idea, but the second hand parts may already be in the same state or worse as my current parts. If I was going to the trouble, I think I’d rather have new parts installed (with a warranty).

Anyway, I hope this helps someone out there and keeps you away from the expensive dealers for a little while at least.

Good luck.

#11 ·
Drivers Window Problem

Wished i had read this site earlier: window been stuck in the closed position, checked fuses, and thought the switch was the problem, nightmare:( to strip out the central control panel, to get behind and check the switch, BMW agent says the switch's are in a one bank, replacement costs is £150 pounds, gave up as i thought swapping the wiring over to another switch was going be cheaper ! this site has a much better and cheaper solution, hit the inside of the door around the speaker (job done ) now off to the pub !!! thanks guys :nice:

#12 ·
My daughters 2003 mini one had passenger door window stuck in closed position. Suspected regulator and or motor issue.
Took door panel off to investigate, but in order to remove regulator you need to have window partially open (which is problem if its stuck in the up position)

Thats when I visited this forum to see if anyone knew how to progress.

Tried the hit the door just above the speaker method and hey presto job done. Window now going up and down perfectly.

Thanks to all who have posted about this issue.

#13 ·
My MINI's 8 years old and I've been occasionally banging the door panel on the passenger side for at least 5 of those years and it has yet to completely die.
The design of the motor just allows it to get into a seized position without enough torque to move it and knocking it frees it.
Passengers are amused by it.

#15 ·
Electric Windows and Central Locking

Hi

Have had the problem that my passenger window wouldn't work on occasion so did the banging on the side thing and always works for few times then stops. Now it's working all the time but when I lock the doors and then try unlock again, the passenger door doesn't unlock!!!

Any suggestions?

#18 ·
OK I wacked the door and the window started working again. What does anyone think is going on? Is it shaking the armature and brushes? Is the bearing worn and so the armature is out of alignment?
It is the motor. You're knocking dust and dirt from the brushes and re-establishing enough
electrical contact for it to work again.
Mine's been like this on the passenger side for 2-3 years now - mainly acts up in the Summer.

#20 ·
Mine still responds to the persuasive thunk to the door card.
Only problem is that it finally shifted the magnet assembly the woofer, so now the voice coil is pinched and
the cone doesn't move at all.
Nothing that $60 + $15 shipping to PolkAudio for a replacement driver can't fix, however
(I have the Polk db6501 components in the front doors).

#22 ·
Hi all
Recently joined the forum and wanted to say thanks
I recently bought a 2003 Cooper S and when I took it for a test drive i noticed that the passenger side window was stuck in the closed position. I informed the dealer and when I collected it later that day he reported that he had fixed it (Just a fuse he said). The window was working so I took delivery and it was fine for the last two weeks.
Yesterday when I went to move the window all I got was a click and no movement. I read this post and thought OK give the door card a whack and see what happens. Sure enough the window worked.
The car is under a 3 month warranty so I will take it back and see if they will spring for a new power winder.
Thanks again to all

Tsmsoccer

#24 ·
Hi guys, i have the same problem that my Mini's driver's window won't go up/down. I discovered it last night when leaving work, tried opening the door and the window was still in the 'up' position. Tried the electric window switch but still nothing, it also isn't making the clicking sound it usually does. So I’m now having to climb in/out via the passenger side- not ideal!

However the difference with my car is that it was broken into earlier this year, via the use of a crowbar to prize open and smash the driver's window to gain entry.

At the time i called the windscreen repair company provided via my insurance company, but after they replaced the window i was left with a huge gap all the way around the door frame.
So i then got a mechanic to look at it and he said the door mechanism had been damaged during the window being smashed. He managed to get the window to sit flush into the frame, however it's never been quite right- very shaky/unstable compared to the passenger window & doesn't always go 'up' into the frame 1st time when using the electric window switch.

I really don't want to take it to a Mini dealership, as I’m guessing they'll charge me a small fortune. However I have no mechanical skills myself and don't know anyone who does, so i'll need to seek some professional help.

Has anyone got any idea how serious this problem could be? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(FYI: I have a 2006 55reg Mini Cooper 1.6)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.