Power Steering Pump failure on Cooper - MINI Cooper Forum
Go Back   MINI Cooper Forum > MINI Technical Forums > MINI Faults & Fixes > First Generation Faults & Fixes

First Generation Faults & Fixes MINI faults and fixes 2001 - 2006

Mini2.com is the premier Mini Cooper Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Power steering pump???? MJHawkins Maintenance & MINI Care 6 Aug 29th, 2014 05:06 PM
R50 power steering pump Rally370 First Generation Faults & Fixes 2 Jul 24th, 2013 03:23 PM
Need advise on power steering failure aioxen First Generation Faults & Fixes 11 May 28th, 2013 03:33 PM
Mini one / cooper s power steering pump DIL2307 Maintenance & MINI Care 1 Sep 18th, 2012 10:25 PM
Power Steering pump on the blink...? cooper357 First Generation Faults & Fixes 8 Aug 21st, 2012 11:26 PM

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 12:53 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 06:51 AM
United Kingdom
United-Kingdom Power Steering Pump failure on Cooper

I have found this site after searching for this problem that it would seem my mini cooper has!
Whilst driving home last week, the power steering just suddenly went. It was fine one minute and the next was pretty hard to manouver, had the RAC to see what it was and they confirmed that it was the pump. I have rang a non mini garage and they have said the parts alone are 530
The car is on a 52 plate (reg'd in Feb 03) with about 38k miles, I have had a short look through the long thread on this issue, but it is sooo long! Should I have the car fixed and then go to Mini and claim monies back. Or would it be best to contact mini before having it sorted?
What are the chances of claiming anything back? Given the poll results, it is clear that this is a problem with the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 7th, 2008, 09:49 PM
R56
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 05:51 AM
United Kingdom Male
ref power steering pump PSP

I had a similar fault with the psp on my cooper s, I went to the local mini dealer and complained like hell,they checked it over and said yes there had been a fault as they checked by conecting there diagnostic kit up to the car.I told them it was a know fault on a mini ,they said they had heard of thid problem,I know they bloody well have known this for ages,they said they would fit a new pump as a goodwill gesture but i would have to pay labour charges of 65 so thats what i did hey presto steering is ok,I think mini should recall and sort the problem.
I would go to your nearest Mini dealer and get it sorted,dont use a non mini dealer

Last edited by R56; Jul 7th, 2008 at 09:57 PM. Reason: extra
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 11:58 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male
Quote: Originally Posted by trevtot (original)
I have found this site after searching for this problem that it would seem my mini cooper has!
Whilst driving home last week, the power steering just suddenly went. It was fine one minute and the next was pretty hard to manouver, had the RAC to see what it was and they confirmed that it was the pump. I have rang a non mini garage and they have said the parts alone are 530
The car is on a 52 plate (reg'd in Feb 03) with about 38k miles, I have had a short look through the long thread on this issue, but it is sooo long! Should I have the car fixed and then go to Mini and claim monies back. Or would it be best to contact mini before having it sorted?
What are the chances of claiming anything back? Given the poll results, it is clear that this is a problem with the car.

Please read at least the last couple of pages of the PS Pump thread and you will find everything you need to do, even a letter for your MINI Dealer to help you save the full cost of repair outside of warranty.
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 11:54 AM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Thanks for the advice, I was late for work yesterday, hence I didn't have much time to read the long thread! But I will have a good read now.
I will contact my mini dealer, thanks again!
Thanks for this post from:
Old Jul 8th, 2008, 05:44 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom Female
United-Kingdom Power Steering Pump failure...

Thought I'd let you know that my psp went last weekend, (mini one conv. 54 plate 47,200k miles owned and loved since new! Yes, I am a girl!) )l ooked on this forum, joined, voted regarding psp failure, printed out info to write to mini (a big thank you to neurobeaker for all the info). Called mini dealer took in my car, keys and letter, Took the train home!!!!?

Had phone call from mini to ask if I would agree to a diagnostic check, asked why, as its obvious I have no steering, he said have to do it to put in goodwill order at mini but will have to pay for diagnoistic check, I agreed (65) and felt I needed to play the vosa/bmw card as I was paying for the dia. check.

Recieved another call from mini the following morning advising me that mini uk have agreed to a 100% parts ect, I was so pleased, the final bill was a total of 102.24 (inc. vat) which consisted of 78.75 labour and 8.26 for the pentosin go go in the pump!! had to laugh at that! My mini was ready the next day all washed and shiny and I must comment the steering was a dream, the pump must of been on its way out for a while?

I must add that the mini dealership (Wellsway Mini - Bath) was very polite and friendly (they must know the psp is a common problem?) and although I was half expecting a battle regarding my pump as the warranty had run out 6 months prior made the experience a little more bearable, I reckon a courtesy car would of made it better!

So, to any one suffering the same, try all the advice given on this forum, and again a big thank you to everyone who has commented on this problem, it helped me know what I was talking about when speaking to the dealer and has helped save me a 'pretty penny' and I have my mini back1 x
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 01:24 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Ireland Female
Angry PSP failure in Ireland

hey there
Wow thank you so much for this forum. I have an 03 mini purchased 2nd hand originally from a UK dealer - Park Lane, London- it has 51,000 miles. I am so glad (like everyone else) iI found this thread have joined and voted on PSP failure. Basically a week ago the steering went intermittedly and I brought it to a mini dealership here (who had serviced it in March and changed the brake discs which I thought a little strange for an 03!!) they informed my the PSP was broken and the oxegen sensor needed replacing at a total cost of 1200 (950stg) which obviously I didn't have lying around. I have been trying not to drive it too much to get some kind of loan for this but after reading this forum I am happy I am not the only one with this problem and obviously annoyed and upset with Mini that this is a known fault that they are making money on

Anyway I have read through the suggestions on what to do next thnka you everyone and especially neurobeaker but can you guys advise on what to do in Ireland. I assume they are governed by Mini UK aswell? If you get the offer of 100% and no warranty or 50% and 2 yr warranty which is better - will it happen again? If the wires are corroded should this be included in it and should the oxegen sensor?
Thanks a mill
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 07:15 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male
Quote: Originally Posted by irishcoop (original)
hey there
Wow thank you so much for this forum. I have an 03 mini purchased 2nd hand originally from a UK dealer - Park Lane, London- it has 51,000 miles. I am so glad (like everyone else) iI found this thread have joined and voted on PSP failure. Basically a week ago the steering went intermittedly and I brought it to a mini dealership here (who had serviced it in March and changed the brake discs which I thought a little strange for an 03!!) they informed my the PSP was broken and the oxegen sensor needed replacing at a total cost of €1200 (950stg) which obviously I didn't have lying around. I have been trying not to drive it too much to get some kind of loan for this but after reading this forum I am happy I am not the only one with this problem and obviously annoyed and upset with Mini that this is a known fault that they are making money on

Anyway I have read through the suggestions on what to do next thnka you everyone and especially neurobeaker but can you guys advise on what to do in Ireland. I assume they are governed by Mini UK aswell? If you get the offer of 100% and no warranty or 50% and 2 yr warranty which is better - will it happen again? If the wires are corroded should this be included in it and should the oxegen sensor?
Thanks a mill

I would guess you can follow the same procedure as for UK using Neurobeaker's advice, etc.
On the technical side of things the oxygen sensor is a separate problem to the PS pump and would only affect any engine symptoms.
The new BMW PS pump itself should come with a 2 year warranty (even reconditioned pumps from BBA-Reman come with a 2 year part warranty) but the labour charge would not normally be covered if the car is outside warranty. The failure is unlikely to happen again at least within a couple of years.......................
The wires will have to be replaced if corroded but this is often not necessary.............the amount of "Goodwill" payment does vary quite a bit depending on many factors, try to aim for what someone with a similar age MINI and mileage on Mini2.com has already got.
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 12:14 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Ireland Female
thanks a million mab01uk - has a draft letter been posted anywhere to follow or just the instructions on what to do? Is the ozygen sensor critical i think the quote was really high on this also and is this a manu fault or how I have been driving it or out of any control - also should it have been picked up in a service?
thanks
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 12:55 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male
I believe "Neurobeaker" has posted a draft letter, which several people have successfully used ,in the main PS pump thread on here or maybe he can PM you a copy direct.
The Oxygen (or Lambda) Sensor can cause the following problems:-
"As the sensor ages, it becomes sluggish. Eventually it produces an unchanging signal or no signal at all. When this happens, the Check Engine Light may come on, and the engine may experience drivability problems caused by an overly rich fuel condition. Poor fuel economy, elevated CO and HC emissions, poor idle, and/or hesitation during acceleration are typical complaints."
It would normally be picked up by the owner reporting these problems or the engine warning light to the garage, or more often by high exhaust emmisions being detected during the annual MOT test in the UK. If not fixed early damage to the Catalytic converter can result in further expense. Replacing the sensor is not normally a big job, the sensor part costs vary say approx. 80 ?
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 09:53 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Ireland Female
hey couldn't get into the site for some reason - yeah the dealership are charging me over 200euros for the sensor and labour on top!
Would it be difficult to change myself ?
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 11:10 AM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom
Quote: Originally Posted by mab01uk (original)
Please read at least the last couple of pages of the PS Pump thread and you will find everything you need to do, even a letter for your MINI Dealer to help you save the full cost of repair outside of warranty.

Hi I,ve just developed same problem with my 5 yr old mini cooper Did you have to pay for the cost of the pump or just labour - I kow I will be having a battle with Williams Bolton Any advise??
thankd John
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 12:07 PM
THE STICK

United Kingdom Male View Richard Crofts's Dark Silver & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile View Richard Crofts's Classified Ads
The O2 sensor is 120 from BMW ... you can get a sensor that fits a MINI for 60-70 from any good motorfactors. Its a fairly easy change if you have some tech experience, and even easier if you have a pit or ramp.
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 12:53 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male
Quote: Originally Posted by johnmarginson (original)
Hi I,ve just developed same problem with my 5 yr old mini cooper Did you have to pay for the cost of the pump or just labour - I kow I will be having a battle with Williams Bolton Any advise??
thankd John

Most on here have got the parts paid by BMW, leaving you with only the labour charge.
If out of warranty the "Goodwill" payment offer depends on you following "Neurobeakers" previous posted advice (see main PS Pump thread) and the mileage of your MINI...............if lower than about 40k your chances are good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: