post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2008, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 11:42 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male View Patchoulian's Classified Ads

Sunroof problem

The panoramic sunroof on my 2004 MCS is sticking/juddering/having a hell of a time closing in particular.

It was a bit reluctant when I bought the car a week ago, so I smeared some multipurpose lithium grease on what I assumed to be the guiding tracks. That made it worse - loud and unpleasant juddering, and very slow to open/close - real strain on the motor.

Checked the messages here and it seems people have used white lithium grease, so I got some of that in a spray can. Just sprayed that arefully along the tracks and it doesn't seem any better - if anything, worse on closing, but a little better opening. I have to push up on the roof to get it to close, or the safety auto open mechanism kicks in.

I'm not sure I've correctly identified the bits that need lubricating - can anyone help?! I think I've only got a couple of tries left before the motor packs up...

Thanks, Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2008, 08:37 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 12:42 PM

Norway

sunroof

Ive had this same problem. Its simply "dried out". Lubrication will only be a temp. fix.
My BMW dealer replaced the sunroof for free, although my warranty is waaay over due. So MINI is aware of this problem, and are replacing on extended warranty.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2008, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickler View Post
Ive had this same problem. Its simply "dried out". Lubrication will only be a temp. fix.
My BMW dealer replaced the sunroof for free, although my warranty is waaay over due. So MINI is aware of this problem, and are replacing on extended warranty.
Many thanks - that's good to know. I've just bought an extended warranty but the sunroof mechanism isn't covered.

I'll take it to the local dealer (Syntner Sheffield, UK).

Cheers, Rob
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2008, 10:05 PM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 07:42 AM

United States Male

There are two tracks on each side, all you have to do is look at the sunroof to see where it rides in them. The problem you are having sounds like poor lubrication to me. I use a low temp grease like that for garage door openers and apply it with a Q-tip. I had this problem and the grease on it once a year solves the problem.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2008, 01:12 PM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male View TimG's Classified Ads

Mine did this and was really struggling to close. I know its not ideal, but i sprayed some WD40 on the runners and it instantly closed nice and smoothly. People say this isn't the stuff to use and grease is probably better but as a temporary fix it worked fine.

Just make sure you put it in the right place.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 2008, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmots View Post
There are two tracks on each side, all you have to do is look at the sunroof to see where it rides in them. The problem you are having sounds like poor lubrication to me. I use a low temp grease like that for garage door openers and apply it with a Q-tip. I had this problem and the grease on it once a year solves the problem.
Thanks - this is the stuff I tried:

3-in-1 Oil Pro White Lithium Grease - Screwfix.com, Where the Trade Buys

Does that look about right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: , ,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.