MINI Cooper Forum banner

engine RPM, cooling fan and air conditioner problem

10K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  minimini36 
#1 ·
The engine RPM is about 1300 when the cooling fan is on( air conditioner is off), and drops immediately to 800 RPM when I turn the air conditioner on.Is this normal for cooper S??Thanks!!

#3 ·
I think this thread belongs in faults and fixes. Mr/Ms moderator?

My S idles at around 800 all the time. Turning on the AC or the interior fan ( I assume this is what you mean) don't seem to affect it at all. If yours is idling at 1300 it doesn't sound right.

#4 ·
True it doesnt sound right that the idle is at 1300 with no load. The fact that any fan is on doesnt matter cause the fan is electric and not attached to the motor. Question is does it rev at the 1300 with the fan off or does it rev at 800 then goes to 1300 with the fan on. If the idle doesnt change with or with out the fan then you may be running a bit lean on the bottom. Once the compressor kicks in it puts a load on the engine causing the revs to drop which is normal. In most cars once the AC kicks in it will bump up the revs 100-200 rmps to cover the load of the AC or it will keep the engine at a set rpm such as the 800rpm.

#5 ·
1000+ is way too high. My MCS idles at around 700 rpm

Normally A/C either cuts outs when you are idling - which is what I suspect the MINI does - or speeds up the revs - that is what my Z3 did.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.