R50 loosing power and chugging when accelerating??? - MINI Cooper Forum
Go Back   MINI Cooper Forum > MINI Technical Forums > MINI Faults & Fixes > First Generation Faults & Fixes


First Generation Faults & Fixes MINI faults and fixes 2001 - 2006

Mini2.com is the premier Mini Cooper Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Rate Thread
  1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1 (permalink)  
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Deano's Avatar
Has met Quack Quack Jack
t o t a l m i n i . c o m
Offline
Send a message via MSN to Deano
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: WWW.totallmini.com
Posts: 2,758
Local Time: 07:09 PM
United Kingdom Male View Deano's Pure Silver & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper Profile
R50 loosing power and chugging when accelerating???

hey

im wondering if someone can help me out, I have an02 cooper with 96K on the clock, over the weekend i drove over to teeside from belfast, i have driven the MINI all weekend (700 miles) and the car has been perfect, this morning i was starting my journey back to belfast, at this point i had half a tank of fuel left, so i filled the tank and started my journey,

approx 2 hours later i was travelling at a good speed along the motorway when i felt a slight chug from the engine, i thought it may have been a bump on the road and carried on, however i then felt the same thing but harder, so i pulled into the nearest garage for a check, i checked all the tyres, and a quick look over the engine and all looked OK,

since i had no more time to stop i had to carry on driving, however this problem got steadily worse, so much so that everytime i accelerate, the engine looses power for a few seconds and then jolts back again, there are no warning lights and the car seems to be running fine, however this is now happening all the time, making it dangerous to pull out of a roundabout or even overtake a vehicle, its also now happening on all the gears and all different speeds when im accelerating, however it seems ok when im going at a steady speed.

i have been searching and the only thing i can think of is possible dirty fuel? has anyone had this problem before? should i drain the petrol out? or even try the redex fuel cleaner?

thanks for youre help!


t o t a l m i n i . c o m
Reply With Quote
Thanks for this post from:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Weemann's Avatar
MINI2 Regular
Offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 195
Local Time: 07:09 PM
England Male View Weemann's Pure Silver & Body Color 1st Gen MINI One Profile
dodgy!!!!
er it sounds like dirty fuel yeah!!! did u get it from the supermarket cos they got in quite alot of trouble a while ago when a whole bunch of engines went, i believe....??

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 11:54 PM
Deano's Avatar
Has met Quack Quack Jack
t o t a l m i n i . c o m
Offline
Send a message via MSN to Deano
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: WWW.totallmini.com
Posts: 2,758
Local Time: 07:09 PM
United Kingdom Male View Deano's Pure Silver & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper Profile
Quote: Originally Posted by Weemann (original)
dodgy!!!!
er it sounds like dirty fuel yeah!!! did u get it from the supermarket cos they got in quite alot of trouble a while ago when a whole bunch of engines went, i believe....??

no, i actually got it in a shell in Yarm! the confusing thing is that i filled up on saturday morning and went on 2 mini runs, it was all fine, and then filled up this morning, at that same garage, and went straight onto the motorway then it happened a while after that? i wasnt too sure if there was possibly bad fuel delivered this morning?

you think i should run it down and refuel it again with super unleaded for a while to clean it out?


t o t a l m i n i . c o m
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 12:25 AM
KillerByte's Avatar
Has met Quack Quack Jack
Where does that road go?
Offline
Send a message via MSN to KillerByte
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 12,574
Local Time: 08:09 PM
England Male View KillerByte's Hyper Blue & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile
My Cooper had an issue where it felt like it was tugging back under acceleration. This stopped when I changed the spark plugs. Might be an idea to check those?

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 12:39 AM
MINI2 Newbie
Offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 48
Local Time: 07:09 PM
Portugal
Change the fuel filter, check you air filter(made it needs to change), also clean very carefully the manifold air pressure sensor...

I bet that after that and a good quality fuel you car will be back like in the old days!
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 07:31 AM
matt_croft's Avatar
MINI2 Regular
Offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: south manchester
Posts: 136
Local Time: 07:09 PM
United Kingdom Male
is the car still chugging?

could be dirty fuel injectors, try redex on a full tank. super unleaded is supposed to have cleaning properties too, go for shell optimax.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 10:37 AM
still learning
Offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: near Glasgow
Posts: 1,259
Local Time: 08:09 PM
Scotland Male
could be bad fuel due to the fact that you filled up 2 hours before this started happening.........but I would have really expected it to happen sooner after refueling.

could be spark plugs or fuel filters..........when was it last serviced ?
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Deano's Avatar
Has met Quack Quack Jack
t o t a l m i n i . c o m
Offline
Send a message via MSN to Deano
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: WWW.totallmini.com
Posts: 2,758
Local Time: 07:09 PM
United Kingdom Male View Deano's Pure Silver & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper Profile
yeah I'm going to check the car over tonight, it was dark by the time I got home. I have half a tank left so I'm going to run that down and then see how it goes too,

I was thinking spark plugs myself, but it started happenng quite suddenly, it wasn't like it had gradually started over a few days? Is that the sort of thing can happen when spark plugs need changed?


t o t a l m i n i . c o m
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 02:36 PM
NeuroBeaker's Avatar
MINI2 Premium Member Has met Quack Quack Jack
PowerSteeringPumpActivist
Offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Behind the wheel
Posts: 8,410
Local Time: 07:09 PM
Scotland Male View NeuroBeaker's Indi Blue & Body Color 1st Gen MINI One Profile
Quote: Originally Posted by matt_croft (original)
is the car still chugging?

could be dirty fuel injectors, try redex on a full tank. super unleaded is supposed to have cleaning properties too, go for shell optimax.

This is more commonly known as Shell V-Power in the UK: Shell Road Fuels - United Kingdom

Quote: Originally Posted by Deano (original)
I have half a tank left so I'm going to run that down and then see how it goes

Is that wise? If you're getting abhorrent engine behaviour and you suspect the fuel, would it not be better to dilute the bad stuff with fuel you're confident is high quality? You don't want lasting damage to the engine - so I'd brim the tanks with V-Power, if it was me.

All the best,
Andrew.

NeuroBeaker - Proud owner of Zeus (a 'modestly modified' 2004 MINI ONE).
Helpful Links: [1st Gen. Power Steering Pump (PSP) Failure Guide] [1st Gen. PSP Repair] [Thread Titles] [Adverts Fix]
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 03:46 PM
AlexBRGCooper's Avatar
British Racing Dirt
Offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sunny Sunderland
Posts: 579
Local Time: 07:09 PM
Scotland Male View AlexBRGCooper's Dark Silver & Black 2nd Gen MINI Cooper S Profile
Sounds quite similar to a problem I was having. I changed the HT leads and solved the problem. Once they were out I could see that moistuer had somehow got into one of them and started to rust the connector. Mine is a 53 plate MC as well

Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 04:40 PM
N.O.T.R.A.M.O.O
Offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Hill of Knocks. SCO.
Posts: 140
Local Time: 08:09 PM
Scotland Male
This is not a fool proof test, but it is a quick way of checking the ignition system.

The ignition system is under its highest load when the engine is breathing deepest, the easy way of doing this is driving on a quiet road, put it into 5th gear and let the car slow down to the slowest it will run in gear (about 25mph which will be around 800rpm) then floor the throttle.

The engine should pull smoothly throught the rev range, albeit slowly.

If any part of the ignition sysytem is bad, it will show up as missing under this kind of load.

I have changed a few ignition coils recently for this fault, and they show up straight away doing this test.

"Allow me to explain... Understeer is when you hit the armco going forwards, Oversteer is when you hit it going backwards!"
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Deano's Avatar
Has met Quack Quack Jack
t o t a l m i n i . c o m
Offline
Send a message via MSN to Deano
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: WWW.totallmini.com
Posts: 2,758
Local Time: 07:09 PM
United Kingdom Male View Deano's Pure Silver & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper Profile
Quote: Originally Posted by KillerByte (original)
My Cooper had an issue where it felt like it was tugging back under acceleration. This stopped when I changed the spark plugs. Might be an idea to check those?

asked my mechannic and he said the plugs were all changed in June 08

Quote: Originally Posted by Innuendo (original)
Change the fuel filter, check you air filter(made it needs to change), also clean very carefully the manifold air pressure sensor...

I bet that after that and a good quality fuel you car will be back like in the old days!

i havent done this yet, but i will do this weekend,

Quote: Originally Posted by matt_croft (original)
is the car still chugging?

could be dirty fuel injectors, try redex on a full tank. super unleaded is supposed to have cleaning properties too, go for shell optimax.

i flushed the engine with liqui moly injection cleaner, dome a great job on the engine, but this problem has started up again!

Quote: Originally Posted by AlexBRGCooper (original)
Sounds quite similar to a problem I was having. I changed the HT leads and solved the problem. Once they were out I could see that moistuer had somehow got into one of them and started to rust the connector. Mine is a 53 plate MC as well

my friend has told me to try this, are they expensive to get? or are they easy to do yourself?
Quote: Originally Posted by C.Noble (original)
This is not a fool proof test, but it is a quick way of checking the ignition system.

The ignition system is under its highest load when the engine is breathing deepest, the easy way of doing this is driving on a quiet road, put it into 5th gear and let the car slow down to the slowest it will run in gear (about 25mph which will be around 800rpm) then floor the throttle.

The engine should pull smoothly throught the rev range, albeit slowly.

If any part of the ignition sysytem is bad, it will show up as missing under this kind of load.

I have changed a few ignition coils recently for this fault, and they show up straight away doing this test.

ive tried this and it all seems ok, the car is fine on short journeys, but then it happens and just gets worse and worse the longer you drive?! its almost like the engines getting starved of fuel, but feels like you change gear really badly and it jerks forward,


t o t a l m i n i . c o m
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 12:57 AM
SiBradbury's Avatar
MINI2 Master
Offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Wirral
Posts: 1,425
Local Time: 08:09 PM
United Kingdom Male View SiBradbury's Classified Ads
You'd be far better spending your money on a diagnostic rather than replacing parts in the vain hope that they will cure the problem!
It's easy to be an armchair mechanic (god knows I meet loads of them everyday) when its not your own car you're attempting to diagnose! There's always some bloke down the pub who knows best!

ANYONE can post on here and tell you things that it MIGHT be! My mum could do that!

You could change, plugs, leads, fuel filter, air filter, etc etc and it might be none of them. Spend £40 on getting your beast plugged into a diagnostic (try and find a garage with a Bosch KTS system) and pin point the problem! (or at least eliminate some of those options!)
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SiBradbury For This Useful Post:
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 01:11 AM
NeuroBeaker's Avatar
MINI2 Premium Member Has met Quack Quack Jack
PowerSteeringPumpActivist
Offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Behind the wheel
Posts: 8,410
Local Time: 07:09 PM
Scotland Male View NeuroBeaker's Indi Blue & Body Color 1st Gen MINI One Profile
Quote: Originally Posted by SiBradbury (original)
You could change, plugs, leads, fuel filter, air filter, etc etc and it might be none of them. Spend £40 on getting your beast plugged into a diagnostic (try and find a garage with a Bosch KTS system) and pin point the problem! (or at least eliminate some of those options!)

Good thinking.

NeuroBeaker - Proud owner of Zeus (a 'modestly modified' 2004 MINI ONE).
Helpful Links: [1st Gen. Power Steering Pump (PSP) Failure Guide] [1st Gen. PSP Repair] [Thread Titles] [Adverts Fix]
Reply With Quote
Thanks for this post from:
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Deano's Avatar
Has met Quack Quack Jack
t o t a l m i n i . c o m
Offline
Send a message via MSN to Deano
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: WWW.totallmini.com
Posts: 2,758
Local Time: 07:09 PM
United Kingdom Male View Deano's Pure Silver & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper Profile
Quote: Originally Posted by SiBradbury (original)
You'd be far better spending your money on a diagnostic rather than replacing parts in the vain hope that they will cure the problem!
It's easy to be an armchair mechanic (god knows I meet loads of them everyday) when its not your own car you're attempting to diagnose! There's always some bloke down the pub who knows best!

ANYONE can post on here and tell you things that it MIGHT be! My mum could do that!

You could change, plugs, leads, fuel filter, air filter, etc etc and it might be none of them. Spend £40 on getting your beast plugged into a diagnostic (try and find a garage with a Bosch KTS system) and pin point the problem! (or at least eliminate some of those options!)

well i was told that, but the engine light hasnt came on, can the computer tell you what isnt running properly if the engine light isnt on? if I thought that would tell me id be down there like a shot! but my mechannic had told me, if the fault isnt happening when he has it, and theres no engine light, then how can he find it!!


t o t a l m i n i . c o m
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.mini2.com/forum/first-generation-faults-fixes/167302-r50-loosing-power-chugging-when-accelerating.html
Posted By For Type Date
FAULTS AND FIXES on MINI2 - Fuel For Your MINI Obsession - MINI Cooper - S - One - Diesel - Works - Cabrio | BoardReader This thread Refback Feb 16th, 2009 08:00 PM

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

» Recent Threads
Rear wiper cracked and broken off... what next??
Today 09:12 AM
Last post by The Nun
Today 05:32 PM
3 Replies, 139 Views
Upcoming Holiday News
Today 02:34 PM
by CARiD
Last post by CARiD
Today 02:34 PM
0 Replies, 59 Views
More Ship Tracking
Jul 24th, 2005 11:25 PM
by nclorax
Last post by LiquidBreadMan
Today 01:52 PM
28 Replies, 23,198 Views
Bystanders lift MINI to end 'stand-off' with tram
Today 12:22 PM
by mab01uk
Last post by The Nun
Today 12:56 PM
1 Replies, 107 Views
Roof bars and Xenon lights
Nov 17th, 2014 10:36 AM
Last post by daveaasmith
Today 07:52 AM
6 Replies, 428 Views
Wanting rid of chrome scoop and mirrors
Nov 18th, 2014 09:54 AM
Last post by daveaasmith
Today 07:48 AM
6 Replies, 433 Views
gtt induction
Nov 18th, 2014 11:24 AM
Last post by rob955triumph
Today 06:38 AM
13 Replies, 507 Views
Transmission failed
Nov 12th, 2014 12:48 PM
Last post by Thegearboxman
Today 04:56 AM
2 Replies, 349 Views
brake lights stuck on?
Oct 27th, 2004 11:47 PM
Last post by Restyle
Yesterday 10:11 PM
105 Replies, 36,688 Views
LA Auto Show Coverage
Yesterday 09:09 PM
Last post by AutoGuide.com
Yesterday 09:09 PM
0 Replies, 148 Views
Cooper s 2003 has issues !!!
Nov 18th, 2014 07:21 PM
Last post by Mini.mjb
Yesterday 08:56 PM
8 Replies, 539 Views
BMC Works Display - Goodwood 2014
Yesterday 08:15 PM
by mab01uk
Last post by mab01uk
Yesterday 08:15 PM
1 Replies, 162 Views
DSC/RUN FLAT light problem due to STEERING ANGLE SENSOR
Nov 21st, 2003 12:22 AM
by Rolandh
Last post by Mickship0412
Yesterday 07:20 PM
10 Replies, 20,881 Views
Decoking? Questions
May 27th, 2014 10:23 PM
Last post by rodhot
Yesterday 07:16 PM
5 Replies, 1,079 Views
Rear Wiper Relay
Yesterday 07:03 PM
by daley99
Last post by daley99
Yesterday 07:03 PM
0 Replies, 112 Views
Heating issues
Nov 19th, 2014 12:54 AM
by TimR66
Last post by Mini.mjb
Yesterday 06:55 PM
6 Replies, 984 Views
Mini R56 Slow Speed Clunk From Rear When Cold
Nov 24th, 2013 03:33 PM
by gaznav
Last post by supafreeza
Yesterday 06:38 PM
1 Replies, 1,118 Views
RS56 Cooper S Power Issues?
Nov 15th, 2014 12:18 PM
Last post by winchcoop
Yesterday 05:45 PM
2 Replies, 294 Views
Mini Countryman Engine Fault Message
Nov 19th, 2014 12:26 AM
Last post by thk138
Yesterday 04:55 PM
2 Replies, 559 Views
» Premium
» Auto Insurance
» Wheel & Tire Center

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.1

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:09 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2