MINI Cooper Forum banner

Odd Tapping/Clicking Noise from rear wheel...R53 Cooper S

21K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  charlottesarah 
#1 ·
Anyone had this before? i did a search but could not find anything relevent.

When driving, I am getting a clicking/tapping noise coming from my rear driver side wheel, it is most noticeable when driving next to a wall when the sound is amplified back to you. Its pigging me off, and has been getting a little worse over the past few weeks.

My brakes are in need of replacement. But I have had the wheel off, had a good look around it and there seems to be nothing touching. When driving and pressing the brake/lightly applying handbrake the noise is still there.

Possible bearing?

I was on the understanding that when bearings fail they make a sort of whine or 'whoo whoo whoo whoo' noise. There is no play in the wheel at all which is what I find odd.

Any of you guys suffered this? Car is only on 50k

Sam

#6 ·
But surely if it was the bearings, it would have some play in the wheel?

There are no stones stuck in the tyre. I was thinking about stripping it back and lubing it up with some bearing grease.

When the bearing 'went' in my steering rack, I was told on MT to put some LM grease on it, and the clicking which used to be there went away and it is fine.

I might put some bearing grease on them, to see if they are just dry.

#7 ·
Not sure if your able to do that tbh - when the bearings go you have to change the whole hub...

Take the wheel off and rotate the hub and see if you can feel the point where its not smooth - mine had a distinct notch to it...

#14 ·
Clicking from the rear of a car with a single pot caliper having eliminated obvious things like a stone in the tyre usually comes from the brakes. Wheel bearings do not usually click when they fail; they rumble. However, on the mini replacing the hub is an expensive way to cure a simple problem. If rust builds up between the hub and back of disc, or is not removed when the disc is changed, the disc will run out of true or wobble. If the disc wobbles it will pick up the outer pad with every revolution of the wheel and make a clicking noise (which disappears as soon as you touch the brake). Solution is to remove the disc, clean the face of the hub with a file and the back of the disc with emery paper. A light smear of copper slip and job done.

#15 ·
8 years later? Haha ;O)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.