MINI Cooper Forum banner

2005 Mini Cooper S Convertible, Roof wont't go Down

46K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  mobilolsen 
#1 ·
I have a 2005 Mini Cooper S convertible and my roof will not disconnect and go down.

It open the to the sun roof bit but wont unclip and be a convertible? And if I hold my finger on the botton it just keps flashing red as if it was working corretly ???

has anyone else had this problem, and could it be anything to do with the rear shef senor or anything like this? I've checked the fuse box and everything seems fine.

Its in the middle of summer and my lovely mini convertible doesn't convertible ?!?!

Any helsp would mean alot cheers.

Regards

Patrick.
(London)

Patrick.kelly@leetunnel.co.uk

#2 ·
Hi Patrick,

Same problem for mine, and it has been going on for years. Mini garage can't find a fault. Anyway, I have found a workaround, because I believe this is caused by the sensors not registering that the windows are down. It never occurs when I have all windows down. The same problem also exists when closing the roof. So, my workaround is that you drop your windows completely first, then the roof. Always works for me. Sometimes the windows don't go down straight away, so release the drop button and press again for 2-3 seconds, if nothing happens, repeat (sometimes up to 4 times), then it should work. Enjoy the sunshine (when it is back!)
Alex

#3 ·
In case you don't know... check the two large levers on either side of the inside of the boot that allow you to move the parcel shelf up from inside. Move them in towards the centre of the boot then back out to the sides. If they're disturbed then the roof mechanism is stopped from retracting in case it folds into the shelf.
We've had this happen a couple of times and it is proper worrying until you find you caught the clips taking something out of the boot.

#5 ·
Like the comments above my wife's 2007 Mini Cooper Convertible roof would not open past the sun roof and then a red light blinked on the opening switch. As suggested I repositioned the parcel shelf and made sure the levers were fully in place and immediately the problem was resolved. Thanks

#6 ·
I am having this problem with my wife's mini- I have made sure that the parcel shelf is positioned correctly and is pushing the button down, and the side one was also pressed in... I had read about making sure the battery was good, so I went ahead and purchased a new battery- read in here that the battery should be disconnected and the windows powercycled and then try... still the roof will not go down past the Sunroof and it just blinks red.

#7 · (Edited)
Same problem with my R52. My initial problem was the sunroof motor. Because of lack of lubrication on the sliders, the electro motor driving the sunroof will get hurt. So I purchased a new motor from "Roof Motors" in UK. This fixed the initial problem, but when I press and hold the "Open" button to open the convertible, if moves for 1sec, but then stops and the led on the button starts to flash... I am desperately surfing then net for some answers, but no luck so far.
This is my experience so far:
1) yes, I know the micro switches in the trunk... The parcel shelf is located correctly and both handles are in locked position.
2) yes, I have tried to open all windows before opening the convertible roof. No luck.
3) yes, I have tried to reset the system. This is done when all windows and the roof are completey closed. Press and hold the central lock toggle switch in UP position for 5 seconds. This will start the opening process. No luck for me. Convertible roof will still not open and the led on the button is flashing.
4) yes, I have checked the fuses (there are two) powering the roof.
5) installing a new battery? I have not tried that... I will try to charge it and measure the Volt status... I doubt that will solve the problem, but I will try.

I have a new theory that I will try: the second phase of opening the roof completely is done using a hydraulic pump. It seems like this pump is never starting. I guess it's a sensor somewhere saying that the sunroof is not completely opened... So that's why phase two is not engaging. Maybe a real cleaning of the sunroof sliders and better lubrication on all moving part will make the sunroof go a couple of millimeters longer back, which hopefully will tell a sensor that it is open, which again will engage the phase two opening...

If you search for the thread "convertible-top-not-coming-down-not-usual-symptoms" in this Forum, a nice post will appear that will maybe give some answers.

I will keep this thread updated if I have more results.
-John

#8 ·
I SOLVED IT :) !!!!!

The problem was that the sun-roof was missing a millimeter or two in its open position. Then the ECU thinks that the sun-roof is not completely open, so it refuses to start the hydraulic pump.

I tried to help the motor by pushing the sun-roof back while i pressed and hold the open button for the second time. This solves it, and the hydraulic pump starts and everything is OK.
A permanent solution will be to do a thorough cleaning and lubrication of all the moving parts in the sunroof, including the wires and the sliding rails. This will make the sun-roof go all the way to its´open position, and the second phase (hydraulic) will start as normal.

I will post new thread about it as well. #hydraulic_open_does_not_start

-John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.