MINI Cooper Forum banner

Too good to be true?

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  mjbb 
#1 ·
Hi

I have just picked up an 02 plate mini cooper (for what I consider to be DIRT cheap), but it has the common gearbox problem - all works ok, just very loud - might be worth checking the oil tomorrow me thinks.

I was searching the net, and found that minigearboxes in Coventry (UK) will replace the box with a warranted recon unit for £490, inc labour, + VAT.

That seems very competitive to me - I've been stung in the past, so now operate on the principle that "if it is too good to be true, then it usually is!"

I was just wondering if anyone had used these guys? Any feedback welcome. I have had a quick search in this forum, but could not find any mention of them.

Just to state - I not saying the company is anything other than professional - I just wanted to see if anyone had used them and could let me know if they are as good as they seem - they have 100% feedback on ebay, which is a great start. I have to do my research, as it would be a long way for me to go, as I am not exactly local.

Many thanks in advance for any info.

Pete

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi have also answered your post on TMF for classic Mini's!

I have posted lots of info on early MINI gearboxes on the MCR forum here which may help you:
Early MINI Rover Midland Gearbox - Forums

Mini recon gearboxes |BMW MINI cheap gearboxes
Mini Gearboxes Ltd were featured in Modern MINI magazine July-August 2010 issue.
Their prices for an exchange recon gearbox and new clutch fitted to a MINI:
5-Speed Midland gearbox £595
5-Speed Getrag gearbox £690
6-Speed Getrag gearbox £750
Recon box supply only from £325
(Ask for a quote on upgrading from Midland to Getrag as additional parts are required.)

Main Dealers quote a minimum of 6 hours for job, 'Mini Gearboxes' fit up to 15 Midland gearboxes a week and have got the job down to around 4 hours by removing the front subframe only from below, instead of the modular front end/rads/bumper assembly. Full method with photos showing stage by stage in MM magazine above (Issue 41).

Some good feedback on the above company and their Midland to MCS 6-speed Getrag gearbox conversion below (£1300 including parts):
http://www.mini2.com/forum/first-ge...oper-52-plate-24-000-miles-2.html#post3773125

#4 ·
My personal experience with minigearboxes so far:

I have now had my recon gearbox and new clutch fitted by these guys and would say they provide good value for money and are very efficient-I dropped the car off at 9.00 am and was back on the motorway by 1.00pm. Obviously they are not BMW so don't expect suits, ties and expresso coffee! but are nonetheless friendly and courtious.They will also drop you in Coventry TC which is worth a look around (and pick you up as well). Considering Mr Clutch wanted £1195 for just a recon box fitted and god knows what BMW extract from your pocket I am generally pleased with the results. :).

#5 ·
Thanks for the info guys - it is much appreciated.

Well, I work on the principle that bad news travels 10 times faster and further than good, so it they were a dodgy outfit, then I am sure I would have heard about it by now.

I'll give them a bell tomorrow and book my mini in.

idoney2 - "don't expect suits, ties and expresso coffee" - result, I'll fit right it then - it is was all suits etc, then the customer would be paying for it - it does seem that they provide a good honest service from what I have heard.

I'll let you know hoe it goes when mines done - once again, many thanks for your help.

Cheers Pete

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.