Wipers not responding to switch off and stop randomly - MINI Cooper Forum
Go Back   MINI Cooper Forum > MINI Technical Forums > MINI Faults & Fixes > First Generation Faults & Fixes

First Generation Faults & Fixes MINI faults and fixes 2001 - 2006

Mini2.com is the premier Mini Cooper Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
On Board Computer (BC?) not responding? silverous Second Generation Faults & Fixes 2 Sep 10th, 2011 08:19 PM
alarm sounding randomly janicearcher First Generation Faults & Fixes 2 Oct 21st, 2007 11:35 AM
(HELP!)Passenger Door not responding to toggle or remote??? JamesBond First Generation Faults & Fixes 0 Jul 30th, 2005 12:36 AM
windshield wipers stop working????? ikesball First Generation Faults & Fixes 4 Jan 27th, 2005 03:17 PM
Nav system randomly won't turn on kelbylinn First Generation Interior & Ice 4 Jan 8th, 2003 11:33 PM

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 11:37 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 06:20 PM
Canada View bilal074's Classified Ads
Canada Wipers not responding to switch off and stop randomly

Hi, my wipers work however they seem to have a mind of their own. When turned on they keep going regardless of setting and eventually stop on there own after about 15 seconds consistently. Sometimes they stop in the middle or other random locations.

Once stopped they will only start again when I cycle ignition off and on.

Any help is help is appreciated.
Thank you...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 15th, 2011, 06:44 PM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 07:20 PM
United Kingdom Male
Check the under bonnet/hood wiper motor earth/grounding connections and its wiring for corrosion, bad connections, etc before replacing anything as this causes many wiper faults on Mini's.

More info here:
http://www.mini2.com/forum/first-gen...ml#post3732927
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 07:43 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Thanks mab01uk, I'm aware of the ground issues. I can't believe how many people have that issue. Should totally be a recall!

However, my motor works fine. all it takes for me to get them going again is to reset the ignition basically turn the car on and off.

also it's important to note that once the wipers start to work they usually stop within 10-15 seconds consistently. which is different from what i read about the ground issue where the motor starts and stops randomly.

However, your intention to inform me is much appreciated!!! and thank you very much.

Hope i can resolve this soon

Bilal
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 08:08 PM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male
the wipers are searching for where to park, this is signal sent out from the motor, if it cant find this signal they will stop anyway but just not where they are supposed to, If that makes sense..You can test this with a multimeter or test lamp
Thanks for this post from:
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 09:12 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Quote: Originally Posted by stead34 (original)
the wipers are searching for where to park, this is signal sent out from the motor, if it cant find this signal they will stop anyway but just not where they are supposed to, If that makes sense..You can test this with a multimeter or test lamp

This is great info! I feel a little lost about what exactly to test? would you be able to give me a little more detail please?

btw, yes this makes total sense.
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 10:21 PM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male
I don't have a wiring diagram but there will be some form of connection pins on the motor for the park switch, It will either have one pin that goes to ground when the motor is in the park position or it will have two pins that close the switch circuit, so test continuity between the two pins if fitted with two pins or test for continuity from the single pin to motor earth point if fitted with one, operate the motor and see if the multimeter goes from open to closed circuit when it hits the park position, if there is one pin you can also use a test light, so when the motor earths the pin at the park position the lamp will illuminate.
Old Sep 18th, 2011, 07:15 PM
MINI2 Newbie

I don't have a wiring diagram but there will be some form of connection pins on the motor for the park switch, It will either have one pin that goes to ground when the motor is in the park position or it will have two pins that close the switch circuit, so test continuity between the two pins if fitted with two pins or test for continuity from the single pin to motor earth point if fitted with one, operate the motor and see if the multimeter goes from open to closed circuit when it hits the park position, if there is one pin you can also use a test light, so when the motor earths the pin at the park position the lamp will illuminate.

I have the motor out, I can't say that it was too difficult but not exactly simple. Anyways today i tested the wire harness that plugs into the motor. that seemed to be working okay. however even without the motor i still get the same behaviour. maybe that's normal because the motor is not connected so again no signal as you said to park the motor so it shuts off itself after a few seconds.

i will plug the motor back in without connecting it to the assembly.. i was able to prie the side plastic off and i see a bunch of pins but there is this odd 2 pins inside that seem like they would connect once the circular gear under them get's to a certain point because that gear has a metal piece on it that makes the 2 pins touch and one point, or it closes the circuit rather.

so i will make sure that the voltage kicks in when the gear is spinning. if the light comes on then what? well let me try it first and i will post what i find.

Thanks again stead34!
Old Sep 18th, 2011, 07:38 PM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male
if you have exposed the contacts try cleaning them up....how many pins in the connector of the motor???
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 03:08 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Unhappy

hey, The connector has 4 pins. one of them is the ground. the other three as i noticed come on as you switch to the various settings on the switch.

I will take and post a photo tomorrow. I think this will help so we can refer to something.

I'm pretty ticked off, to top off the wiper issue now my air bag light is on. and to top everything else. i changed my gear oil to the redline stuff and now my car grinds when i do a full turn but only to the left. I read other threads that say the grind is related to the gear oil. But i thought red line was good stuff! Anyways just a small rant. I'm feeling pretty down about my car and scared to take it to the dealer and walk out thousands of dollars poorer! I only bought this car like 2 months ago and already all these issues.
Old Sep 19th, 2011, 09:37 AM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male
The connections will be ground, slow speed, fast speed and park. Park will have a supply but when it rotates to the park position it connects to the ground of the motor bringing it to a halt so it provides a short circuit in a way. The other connections are more obvious. So if you have a multimeter on volts, put the red lead on the positive side of the battery and the other end in the correct pin for park, when the motor rotates you will see it go to ground at the park position when the meter reads 12v, if you dont get a voltage clean the contacts again, if you do get this signal then its probably what ever controls the wipers, used to be relays but things have changed so unsure.
Old Sep 24th, 2011, 09:55 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Hey,

I tested the park switch with the motor connected and it seems to be working. Every about 3 seconds I get a reading on the multimeter. After a local shops diagnosis I went out and bought a motor rebuilt and that one is behaving the same way. Runs for 10 we odd and shuts off. Both motors respond to speed on switch however trying to switch them off is not an option. I didn't check relays yet but the garage said they did.

Any other suggestions?
Old Sep 24th, 2011, 04:18 PM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male
If the old motor was ok then there was no need to change it, I have found a wiring diagram, If you google MINI WDS using firefox and go through the options then the Park information goes to what they call a general control module(BC1), this then in turn controls the wiper relay. I personally would of just tested the motor for the park function, if it was there then just refit it as you know it to be good. look at the bc1 for water ingress, its pointing now more to this as the problem, but this is how far you can test with a multimeter as this will need a diagnostic machine to read the information parameters in this ecu. But I will add is to clean the ground points on the vehicle body and wiper motor if you do install this unit to protect it from the fault reoccuring. If there is water ingress then the cause of the leak would have to be sorted also before the job is carried out.......
Old Sep 28th, 2011, 06:16 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Was at the dealer today. what a bunch of crooks. they diagnosed the issue as wiper transmission looooool! i thought they would it's the only thing that over a 1000$ to replace! when i asked him if had even pulled the motor out or tested the switch of the body control unit he said no! :@

after a nice shouting match with the manager, they felt like losers and continued testing the system. they swapped out the b.c.m. with a new one and the issue was still there.. in conclusion there was no conclusion. however as i was picking up the car they mentioned that there was a fault code showing in the control module that pointed at the wiper motor. and the technician thinks that by clearing the fault code it's possible that we can eliminate the issue "possibly" so i'm going to reinstall the new motor that i bought and go back and let them reset the fault code..

here is a question: this fault code is this something anyone can reset? is this in the main area where all other fault codes are read from?
Old Sep 28th, 2011, 06:18 PM
MINI2 Newbie

I have found a wiring diagram, If you google MINI WDS using firefox and go through the options then the Park information goes to what they call a general control module(BC1), this then in turn controls the wiper relay.

BTW i love the tool on the planet BMW site for getting the diagrams! this is amazing! thanks!
Old Sep 28th, 2011, 07:52 PM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male
The fault code will be in the ecu that is controlling the function, in this case its probably the BCM, Im not sure what piece of kit you would need to reset it it, some sort of OBD fault code reader I expect. To be honest I worked In a main dealer so only used the diagnostic machine supplied by the manufacterer, which obviously can be used. Strange that they couldn't find anything conclusive wrong will all the information they have at there disposal, it should of been straight forward especially as the fault is always there, they should of been able to see the park functioning using there diagnostic machine in the parameters of the bcm, cant say that for definite but you used to get that information from the kit I used to use. What confuses the dealers most is bad connections so just double check that the pins haven't spread on the wiper motor plug or the bcm side..strange one really.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: