MINI Cooper Forum banner

MCS Timing Chain Tensioner

22K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  AnnieMacD 
#1 ·
Just taken my 02 MCS to BMW Leeds with the rattle from the engine. The guy from the workshop had a look in the car park and provisionally said it was the timing chain/tensioner/ guides. They said it would be £75 to properly diagnose it and £150 ish for parts.

I have asked them for a goodwill payment and they said no due to the age of the car.

I phoned BMW customer services and they have said the same.

Any advice on how to get a goodwill payment from them(I did mention this website)

#3 ·
Got the car back now. They confirmed it was the timing chain tensioner that had seized. The chain and guides didn't need changing. Runs and drives fine now. They charged me £204!!!! I am still going to complain to try and get my money back as its a well known fault not just a part that has worn out.

Anyone got any experience with BMW at getting complaints resolved. Especially if it's the same issue.

They stated because of the age of the car 2002 52 and the mileage 75k they wouldn't repair it free

#10 ·
2007- MINI's having major issues with Tensioner and Timing Chain.

Despite receiving this letter, our dealer chooses to hide behind warranty claims and not cover any costs to rectify the issue!

For all those with similar issues it is time to voice our dissatisfaction publicy!

Mr. Cameron Begg
Mini Service Department
6 Shield Drive
West Cross Industrial Estate
TW8 9EX

Ref : Tensioner + Timing Chain Date: 10 November 2012

Dear Mr. Cameron Begg,

This letter is concerning motor vehicle 2008 R56 Mini Cooper S 1.6 – xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx which recently came into your service department for repair for the tensioner and timing chain issue.

As you may recall, Berry Chiswick refused to absorb the costs to rectify the factory defect tensioner and timing chain, despite the issue being an internationally known design flaw by the manufacturer.

Vehicle Provenance:

The respective motor vehicle was purchased brand new from official MINI-BMW agent xxxx xxxx xxxx.

Aside from what was listed on the official bill of sale, the only other accessory received was a leather pouch that contained a ‘service booklet’, ‘ipod interface’, ‘owner’s handbook’, ‘contact Europe’.

Vehicle Condition:

The motor vehicle is still in pristine condition. It is kept in a gated driveway enclosed garage maintained by a full time professional chauffeur.

The odometer reads 13,024 miles as of 10/11/2012 equating to an average 3256 miles per year.

To this day the motor vehicle has never had any other owners and is still in its original factory configuration.

Vehicle Service History:

Since acquiring the motor vehicle in xxxx 2008, the MINI CBS (conditions based system) has only specified two alerts ‘Rear Brakes’ 03/02/10 and ‘Service’ 02/10/12.

NOTE I: All CBS recommendations have been carried on time, correctly and are listed in the vehicles service log book (a copy of which Berry Chiswick already has).

NOTE II: No guidance can be found in the ‘service booklet’, ‘ipod interface’, ‘owners handbook’, ‘contact Europe’ to suggest that the car should be serviced over and above the CBS recommendations.

Therefore, to date motor vehicle xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx has been maintained properly in accordance with the CBS and literature supplied by MINI.

Vehicle (relevant) Timeline:

On 11/05/2009, noises started to be heard from behind the steering column/windscreen. No CBS (conditions based system) warning light ever came on. Nevertheless, the vehicle was sent to Berry Chiswick for repair. The problem was not solved.

On 01/02/2012, the noises started to roughen and become more audible. No CBS light ever came on. Nevertheless, the vehicle was sent to Berry Chiswick for repair. The vehicle was checked, nothing was done therefore the problem was not resolved.

On 26/9/2012, the very same noises started to become even more audible. No CBS warning light came on. The decision was taken to have the motor vehicle independently diagnosed. The mechanics came to the conclusion that both the tensioner and timing chain would have to be replaced. They did not carry out the work as it was determined to be a known manufacturers fault and therefore should be the sole responsibility of the manufacturer to rectify such issues (see independent diagnosis below).

On 29/10/2012, the same noises started to become even louder. No CBS warning light ever came on. The decision was taken to once again send the motor vehicle back to Berry Chiswick. At this point, Berry Chiswick finally acknowledged that the noise issue was directly related to a known factory fault with the tensioner and timing chain. As the motor vehicle was now out of the manufactured warranty, Berry Chiswick informed me that the cost to rectify the issue would be 1200GBP.

Vehicle Diagnosis Tensioner + Timing Chain:

On 26/9/2012 approved AA technicians made the following diagnosis:
Upon ignition we immediately noticed a rough engine sound as well as a light clinking metal noise.

As with all vehicles we first go through our check list before making definitive conclusion and recommendations.

In this case we would examine anything which might account for the unusual noises e.g. tuning modifications/unapproved use of parts, lack of respective fluids/incorrect fluids, obstructions/debris in the engine bay, etc.

Following our process of elimination we uncovered that the rough engine and light clinking metal noise was directly related to the type of tensioner used in this model of vehicle.

Specifically the OEM tensioner for the R56 2007- MINI fails to extend as it should. Due to this the piston is not able to adequately pick up the excess slack from the timing chain and the timing chain is brushing up against the guides on the engine cover.
An acceptable tolerance for chain deviation is anywhere from 0.1-0.5mm which is measured against two separate points.

In this particular instance as both set points were at 0.9mm and 1.0mm respectively and there was friction, we would urgently advise that both the tensioner and timing chain be replaced and re tested.

Vehicle (general) Berry Chiswick History:

Since the original acquisition of xx/xx/2008, this vehicle has been nothing but an inconvenience and has fallen far short of BMW/MINI standards. Consequently, to date it has been sent seven times to Berry Chiswick to try and rectify the following faults/issues:

Hydraulics

R56 S Turbo water pump – Ref: M11.53.7.630.368
R56 Hose Clamp Ref: - Ref: M11.53.7.546.422
Rocker Cover Gasket leaking
Coolant Pump replacement - Ref: G0060084

Transmission

Gearbox Fault (unsolved under warranty)
Intermittent Gearbox and Gearbox warning light flashing
Vehicle Jerking when pulling away (unsolved under warranty)

Interior

Noises coming from behind steering column (unsolved under warranty)
Creaking noise of plastic trim panel
Sunroof not opening and closing
Sunroof whilst close making creaking noises whilst driving
Passenger window making noise when ascending/descending (unsolved under warranty)
Instability whilst accelerating or braking hard (unsolved under warranty)
Right front wheel trim coming lose

Engine

Electrical System into noise from engine Ref: AM1101_00063
Tensioner, timing chain, sprockets and guide all to be replaced Ref: D110_MX000000_06_300
Noise from Engine present requires diagnosis
Engine over revving at stand still - without any application to the pedals (unsolved under warranty)

Exterior

Paint Quality Issues, irregular patches (unsolved under warranty)

Recapitulation:

At the time I purchased a brand new top of the range MINI Cooper S petrol turbo engine with almost every available options = 31,770GBP.

Since day one the motor vehicle has been maintained in accordance with the CBS and MINI literature that came with the vehicle.

Both the AA independent mechanics and Berry Chiswick Mini have confirmed that the problem is directly due to a factory design defect with the tensioner and timing chain.
Considering the amount of money spent on a small city car against the number of visits to rectify factory faults, I am an extremely unsatisfied Mini customer.

Currently, my 2008 R56 petrol MINI Cooper S with only 13,049 miles sounds more courser than a diesel truck from the early 1990’s.

Moreover, the manner in which Berry Chiswick has dealt with the tensioner timing chain issue has been completely unsatisfactory.

My vehicle was brought in twice and Berry Chiswick failed to diagnose the problem.

I was then forced to send it to an independent mechanic who correctly diagnosed the issue.

I then had to return the vehicle for the third time to Berry Chiswick to re-confirm that the fault was due to the manufacturer’s tensioner and timing chain.

Upon confirmation of the factory defect, Berry Chiswick attempted to extract 1200gbp from myself to rectify the issue.

It is astounding that even when a client on their own accord discovers the defect, MINI/Berry Chiswick refuses to absorb the costs to urgently rectify the fault by the manufacturer.

After having done some research, it has become apparent that your dealership has had prior complaints from other customers concerning this very issue and that the manufacturer has referenced this particular issue as PUMA Ref-10686850-16 part number Ref-11.31.7.598.956.

I have been advised that the issue concerning the tensioner and timing chain is one that is likely progressive. Should it not be regulated, eventually the timing chain will become loose/detach causing serious damage to the engine and possibly the occupants.

What is most disturbing is that Berry Chiswick is not informing their clients that their motor vehicles have a factory defect which can pose a serious risk to occupant’s safety!

Conclusion:

In the past I have owned twelve BMW vehicles - having done business with BMW Herb Chambers, BMW Inskip, BMW Warwick, BMW Calabasas, BMW Holland Park, BMW GAAM Cannes, Rolls Royce Milan, BMW PBM France and BMW PML Singapore). Moreover, my immediate family currently own a 2010 Rolls Royce Ghost, 2010 BMW X5, 2007 BMW 530I and 2008 Mini Cooper S).

Should MINI/Berry Chiswick not wish to work on principles, loyalty or morals, then Under the 1994 UK Sale and Supply of Goods Act - Section 14(2) Quality: A manufacturer can only expect to sell goods and services if they are ‘of a satisfactory quality’, ‘fit for all the purposes for which the goods of the kind in question are commonly supplied’, ‘freedom from minor defects’, ‘safety’ and ‘durability’, ‘of a standard that would reasonably be expected taking into consideration the price paid and description.’

In this case there is ample evidence to prove that the manufacturers goods fail all ‘safety’ and ‘durability’ tests and therefore are not ‘fit for all the purposes’, nor ‘free from minor defects’.

Under UK commercial law even if the warranty has expired, it is the legal responsibility of the manufacturer to rectify such issues at no cost to the consumer.

Consequently, MINI/Berry Chiswick will arrange to have my vehicle collected from my residence, and due to the nature of the problem supply a new tensioner, new timing chain, new chain guides, new cam sprockets, new VANOS unit, and labor.

The respective work will be completed under the manufacturer’s warranty and the vehicle will be returned to my residence.

Should I not receive a fully satisfactory written response to this letter prior to Nov 25, 2012, I will:

1) Instruct my family lawyers to launch legal proceedings against both the manufacturer and service agent for having failed to meet the legislation under the 1994 UK Sale and Supply of Goods Act - Section 14(2) Quality.

2) Forward a complete copy of this very letter to all MINI forums, car journalists worldwide to make consumers aware of how MINI/Berry Chiswick is hiding behind warranty claims and deliberately failing to notify their clients of the dangers associated with the tensioner and timing chain.

The negative publicity will sure cost the manufacturer and its brand image far in excess of the 1200GBP which MINI/Berry Chiswick attempted to extract from me.

Regards,
JV

#13 ·
2006 Mini Cooper S

My Mini sounds like a diesel truck- I called Mini dealer and mentioned this and the issues I've researched regarding the timing chain- the service guy denied any tension/ timing chain issues and said it likely needed oil.

Has there been any upgraded replacement parts for this problem yet or will I forever be getting this part replaced every few thousand Klms?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.