Is the Cooper S central locking/alarm supposed to rearm itself ? - MINI Cooper Forum
Go Back   MINI Cooper Forum > MINI Technical Forums > MINI Faults & Fixes > First Generation Faults & Fixes

First Generation Faults & Fixes MINI faults and fixes 2001 - 2006

Mini2.com is the premier Mini Cooper Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mini Cooper central locking Applellial First Generation MINI Cooper 1 Jul 7th, 2011 11:40 AM
alarm went off and now car cannot be locked via key central locking ben1585 First Generation Faults & Fixes 1 Oct 10th, 2010 10:32 AM
Central Locking on 2004 Cooper AimeeD First Generation Faults & Fixes 1 Jun 7th, 2010 06:25 PM
Cooper Climate & Central Locking Issues adz13091982 First Generation Faults & Fixes 0 Feb 13th, 2010 07:18 PM
Cooper S Central Locking LMB First Generation MINI Cooper S 19 Jun 13th, 2002 04:11 AM

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Jan 21st, 2012, 08:26 PM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 03:47 PM
Malta
Question Is the Cooper S central locking/alarm supposed to rearm itself ?

Hi Folks,

Is the Cooper S central locking/alarm supposed to rearm itself if one doesn't open the door(s) in a specified amount of time ? I ask this because recently I locked my 2002 MCS using the remote key (and automatically arming the alarm in the process, of course) but after 15 mins I inadvertently hit the unlock button on the remote, unlocking the doors and disarming the alarm. Since I didn't open any doors, I expected the central locking to relock the doors and the alarm to rearm after about 30 secs or so but neither happened. Is this correct or are both the central locking and alarm supposed to rearm if one doesn't open any door(s) in a specified amount of time ?

Last edited by pfspeeddemon; Jan 22nd, 2012 at 09:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 24th, 2012, 05:57 PM
hotrod5a

Local Time: 02:47 PM
United States Male
Just asking I have a 2011 s , I set the key fob and the doors to lock ,but I have never lessened for the alarm should I here a bep or something,I hope we can jump in like this be
safe all.
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Old enough to know better

United Kingdom Male
I have just taken delivery of a 2006 Cooper S so am still 'getting to know' it. At the weekend I unlocked the car using the remote, then stood talking to a friend for a couple of mins without opening the door. While we were stood chatting the lights flashed a couple of times and the car locked and re-armed itself.

So, I am guessing that it should lock and re-arm itself but this could be configurable by a dealer, so it is possible that a previous owner has had the feature disabled (although I don't know why someone would have that done!)....

Old enough to know better, wise enough not to care. . . .
Thanks for this post from:
Old Jan 25th, 2012, 06:46 PM
MINI2 Regular

Malta
Quote: Originally Posted by KissmyS (original)
I have just taken delivery of a 2006 Cooper S so am still 'getting to know' it. At the weekend I unlocked the car using the remote, then stood talking to a friend for a couple of mins without opening the door. While we were stood chatting the lights flashed a couple of times and the car locked and re-armed itself.

So, I am guessing that it should lock and re-arm itself but this could be configurable by a dealer, so it is possible that a previous owner has had the feature disabled (although I don't know why someone would have that done!)....

Erm, am I correct in saying that your 2006 is still a GEN 1 Mini like mine although mine is a 2002 model? If so, then my Mini should have this feature as well. I have already spoken to the stealership and they are none the wiser but they told me to bring the car over so they do an OBD check and if they find that the feature is available on my car but just deactivated they will reactivate it...and rip me off in the process !! It's an important feature that I really want to have but I want to be 100% certain that my model should have it because the stealership will still charge me just to hook it up for an OBD check regardless of whether they would be succesful or not in activating the feature.

Thanks very much for your reply, KissmyS...but I wish others would chip in too...the more opinions I get the better...I'm sure there are many 2002 owners out there who have viewed my thread and I really like to hear from them.
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Old enough to know better

United Kingdom Male
Hiya, yup - ours are both series 1 R53's.

I guess it may be possible that the alarm features were updated in later models, so while both cars are R53's mine may have had some additional features being that it's a later car - doubtful though!

Dig out the owners manual and see what it says!

Old enough to know better, wise enough not to care. . . .
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 08:21 PM
MINI2 Regular

Malta
Hi Folks,

Went to the stealership today to get this function activated and this is what they said:
1) To do so they need to hook the car up to their computer which loads a 2hr-long program which basically over-writes and reloads all stored info in the car's electronic brain (ECU and all !) and also activates this feature. They said, they cannot just specifically load this feature on its own. They said it can only be done in this way.
2) The charge would be Stg. 167 !!

Of course, I gave them a piece of my mind and I told them that if they thought that I was buying what they told me in point (1) they had another thing coming because I have an electronic version of the BMW MINI service manual as used by the BMW MINI technicians themselves which states that it’s just a question of enabling this function. I also told them that there was no way I would be paying that amount indicated in point (2) as it’s a shameful rip-off.

Can any of you please advise me what this job really entails (especially the duration of the task) and what a realistic cost should be.

Tx in advance.
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 10:09 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male
Hi ya

it should take no more than 30 min max to activate the option.
I had some option de activated and some activated cost me 50

Hop this helps
Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 07:00 PM
MINI2 Regular

Malta
Quote: Originally Posted by marque (original)
Hi ya

it should take no more than 30 min max to activate the option.
I had some option de activated and some activated cost me 50

Hop this helps

Hi Marque, yes, this helps a real lot, tx. Was this carried out at the BMW Mini dealer/stealership and what year was your Mini ?
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 07:54 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male
Quote: Originally Posted by pfspeeddemon (original)
Hi Marque, yes, this helps a real lot, tx. Was this carried out at the BMW Mini dealer/stealership and what year was your Mini ?

Hi ya was bmw mini dealer about a year ago my mini is a cooper s 04 right hand uk spec
I have also had some coding done for some other pars like injectors ect and that was half hour 50 to 60 pounds I think It cost
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 05:54 AM
MINI2 Regular

Russia Male
On my R56 2011 the automatic relock feature is available in settings on the visual boost computer, together with driver door unlock and lights settings when locking doors (i.e. indicators flash). In the manual it says that certain features (including bleep on lock) are available through the rev counter computer, although I have been unable to find these, including by following instructions on this forum to unlock certain hidden OBC menus.

I'd like to activate these features but I dont see why I should be paying the dealer to do it when they aren't an optional extra! Maybe the manual is just wrong.
Old Oct 30th, 2012, 06:14 PM
MINI2 Regular

Malta
Is the Cooper S central locking/alarm supposed to rearm itself ?

Hello Folks,

9 months down the line and 4 trips to the stealership and I am still without this function !!

The service manager at the stealership, although being a helpful chap, has not managed to enable the function. Every time he links my Mini up via chunky-looking cables to a weird-looking BMW computer of theirs and the function is never there to be found in the program they have on this computer. In each of the four attempts he has claimed that BMW provided him with four different programs and still no joy. BMW have told him that since it's a 10 year-old car they don't not feel obliged to offer support on software...how's that for customer service !!

Can anyone please tell me to what type of garage / technician can I take my car to try and get this function enabled privately ? What sort of equipment should this garage /technician have to do this job ?

Please help !
Old Oct 30th, 2012, 06:53 PM
MINI2 Premium Member
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male
I guess thats the problem with having a old car because on the new ones you can turn on or off the features yourself quite easily.
Reading between the lines it seems they are saying if you want the features we might be able to do you a deal on a brand new car then you can do it yourself.
Doesnt surprise me in the least they arent interested in cars over 10 years old, and surprised too they dont stop at 5 years, MINI sent me a letter saying was I interested in changing my car as it sometimes makes sense to renew it before things start going wrong, er when it was only 3 weeks old!
Old Oct 31st, 2012, 05:26 AM
MINI2 Regular

Malta
Quote: Originally Posted by The Nun (original)
I guess thats the problem with having a old car because on the new ones you can turn on or off the features yourself quite easily.
Reading between the lines it seems they are saying if you want the features we might be able to do you a deal on a brand new car then you can do it yourself.
Doesnt surprise me in the least they arent interested in cars over 10 years old, and surprised too they dont stop at 5 years, MINI sent me a letter saying was I interested in changing my car as it sometimes makes sense to renew it before things start going wrong, er when it was only 3 weeks old!

When they'd tell me that I'd tell them "Sure, if you want to give it to me for free !"...or maybe send them to blazes depending on the mood I'd be in !! !!
Old Nov 5th, 2012, 04:10 PM
MINI2 Regular

Malta
Folks,

Any chance of a reply please as I'm getting pretty desperate with this issue...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement